Hoe Down at the Orange Bowl - Ashlee Simpson!

coda

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you see Los Lonely Boys at the Sun Bowl, the guitarist stuck the first few chords of "How Far is Heaven"...nuthin, walked away and shazam all of a sudden it was blaring our of the PA so he did the quick recover two step, joined back in and they finished.

I saw Jessica Simpson at Music Midtown this past May in Atlanta. I was a few feet from the stage. No disagreement on her looks. Impressive to say the least. However, she just plain sucks as an entertainer. Her music is terrible, she says stupid things to the crowd, and she is only a mediocre singer at best. If she were ugly she would not be in the music business at all.

I love seeing and listening to live music and pride myself in being an honest judge. I attend a lot of concerts as time allows. I like to give good reviews when there's some good to report.

Maybe she just had a bad day. But IMHO Jessica Simpson is just plain bad. Sorry.

Maybe some others who were at that show could chime in.

Being a professional music educator myself ...

I worry everyday as to what music the next generation will be influenced by .

There seems to be "slim-to-nothing" musically, when it come down to musical foundational roots,

appearing in any of the commercialized music in America.

And all this for the almighty $$$$.

It is quite obvious this is an ongoing step in the decline of the western civilization....musically !

Before the video music stations appeared, for the most part, musicians HAD to have musical talent or their careers were toast. Seems nowadays, just flopping around on stage wearing a tube top with a belly-button ring screaching at the top of your lungs is all that is required.

I'm gonna shave my belly and get me a belly-button ring....By God!9.gif

Take care

Mike

----------------

On 1/6/2005 9:30:25 AM Born2RockU wrote:

Being a
professional music educator
myself ...

I
worry
everyday as to what music the next generation will be
influenced by

There seems to be "slim-to-nothing" musical, when it come down to
musical foundational roots

appearing in any of the
commercialized music
in America.

It is quite obvious this is an ongoing step in the
decline of the western civilization
....musically !

----------------

Curious, what is your field? I have a degree in piano but chose not to teach. I agree with you about the availability of good musical influences out there with regard to the general public.

Forrest

----------------

On 1/6/2005 9:30:25 AM Born2RockU wrote:

There seems to be "slim-to-nothing" musical, when it come down to
musical foundational roots

appearing in any of the
commercialized music
in America.

It is quite obvious this is an ongoing step in the
decline of the western civilization
....musically !

----------------

Harsh words, and for many of "popular" artists, I would agree, but not all. Case in point: There are several "divas" in country music that not only go back to where it started, but build foundations from the great influences ranging from Mozart, to Hendrix and the like.

I do agree, wholeheartedly though... someone needs to introduce Lee Ann Rhimes to Brittney, Ashlee, and those other wannabe's, and let the youngster show 'em how to sing AND play it right.

I too agree with Born2RockU's assessment as well as other's here.

You know....there was a time when "one hit wonders" were the exception. Nowadays, they're the rule. It's as though the folks that produce music (and other products) feel that everyone has Attention Deficit Disorder. Don't create music or entertainers with staying power. Oh hell no. Folks will get bored with them too quickly. Gotta stick & move ya know.

Sheesh. What's gonna happen when all those 55+ year old rock icons die off? Maybe the music industry will turn to Dream Works Studio and all the music entertainers will be composite CGI images of what the music biz market research shows folks want a person to look like or dance. And the music will be pre-programmed tracks laid down by studio musicians from around the world, then combined by some computer alogarithm.

But just when you think the music has died, you take your wife to a New Years' Eve party and hear the music of Greg Williams (www.gregwilliams.com) and think that maybe...just maybe, there's hope afterall. 1.gif

Tom

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/6/2005 10:54:43 AM ignorance_is_not_bliss wrote:

Harsh words, and for many of "popular" artists, I would agree, but not all. Case in point: There are several "divas" in country music that not only go back to where it started, but build foundations from the great influences ranging from Mozart, to Hendrix and the like.

I do agree, wholeheartedly though... someone needs to introduce Lee Ann Rhimes to Brittney, Ashlee, and those other wannabe's, and let the youngster show 'em how to sing AND play it right.

----------------

I agree. The marketing giant is spitting out "singers" such as Britney and Ashlee, and now the "new school" of Hillary Duff and Lindsay Lohan, but thankfully for every one of them, there seems to be a young girl out there with real talent to satisfy the non-teenybopper crowd and inspire young girls who truly want to showcase their talent and not their fingernail polish, such as Norah Jones and Joss Stone. Even singers such as Jewel, Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch, and Sarah Mclachlan are very talented. All is not lost.