complaints from neighbours

ismail

whenever i watch movies or play music loudly on my home

theater system my upstairing neighbours always complain

their walls are shacking and they get disturb.

any solution and suggestion that their walls should not shake or refrain the waves of sub to go to upstairs

i cant lower the volume i like it resanobly loud

i live in an apartment on 1st floor, thankfully no neighbour

downstair

please help

If your landlord will allow and you havve the space, you can build a secondary wall and ceiling.

Use 2x4s and make sure that you are not putting stud over stud. Put insulation between the studs, then finish off with acoustical soundboard or sheet rock.

You will lose some wal and ceiling space but you will also lose some complaints.

If possible you can also try moving your components and speakers around to see if that makes a difference.

Welcome to the Forum.

dodger

At one time I lived in a condo with neighbors adjacent and above me. I could run my system(s) as loud as I wanted at any time w/o complaint one from my adjacent neighbors. But the upstairs unit was apparently subject to a lot of noise at any level and the sub drove her nuts (more nuts). Methinx that the side walls may have had better sound insulation. Sadly (for me) the lady (I think she was human) was a stay at home, cubby holed type and there was no time I was allowed to use my system without hearing my ceiling pounded11.gif . Such is life.

....Do on to other as you would have them do on to you....

Having had to live next door to a phucking Red Neck that cranked up Hank Jr. all night long, and during some pretty intense study nights, I would look to rent/buy a home. If your neighbor's like me, watch out....he may someday shoot your system with a shotgun. 16.gif

At the very lease, sit down and talk with your neighbor, and try to come to a mutal understanding. You've got to respect your neighbors wishes also, that is, if you want to live in harmony.

Not a lawyer.

As far as I can see IMHO "I can't lower the volume" are freely used words.

Monster has always been a public domain word, it saddens me to see a company trying to copyright, register, or trade mark a singular word - note "kenrat boy's thread.

dodger

Q-Man's post says it all in the fewest words possible. Q-Man wins.

Having said that, I still can't leave the original post without a response. I especially like the line "I can't turn it down." LOL. Life, my friend, is an endless string of choices, compromises, and consequences. You are faced with just such a choice -- turn it down, move, or come to terms with the fact that, in your building, you're "that guy." Every building has at least one such guy, you know -- the loud music guy, the uptight guy, the drug dealing guy, the trash spilling out of his front door and place smelling like dead body storage guy. You've chosen to be loud music guy. A lesser of the evils, sure, but you're still "that guy."

Move.

What I suggest is you visit with your neighbor, and arrange to play a movie at your normal listening levels. Then go upstairs and liten to what your neighbor has to put up with. Then you could work out what you have to do to reduce the noise so that you can enjoy movies without disturbing your neighbor. There may very well be a simple solution where the sound is leaking through a poorly sealed window to upstairs.

Dodger's suggestion is a good one, assuming of course that the neighbor's complaint is legitimate. Another suggestion, if a false ceiling isn't an option, is to consider sound absorption tiles that you could glue to your ceiling. If you live in a leased premises, the landlord may not allow you to do anything at all. Then you might have to move.

----------------

On 1/7/2005 5:21:03 PM Olorin wrote:

Every building has at least one such guy, you know -- the loud music guy, the uptight guy, the drug dealing guy, the trash spilling out of his front door and place smelling like dead body storage guy. You've chosen to be loud music guy. A lesser of the evils, sure, but you're still "that guy."

Move.

----------------

Great post and so true! I haven't lived in an apartment since 1984 but I remember like it was yesterday.

Right above us was Maricio & family. 2 bedroom apartment, 14 residents and the shortwave radio to El Salvadore every night from about 7:00 to 9:00 that screwed up our TV reception.

Across the hall was Sam Yu Yugo (real name) whose apartment stench wafted under our front door and was so foul we had to keep a towel there to block the airflow.

Tony Digragorio, below us, had people knocking on his door at 4am when they ran out of coke and needed another fix. Woke up my son almost every night and when you have a newborn, sleep is way too precious.

No "loud guy" but just about everything else. On second thought, maybe I was the loud guy playing the Dead through my corns but since we had a baby, it was kept low after about 9:00pm. Ah, the good old days.16.gif

I once had a neighbor that left for work at 5 AM. He would chain his dog and leave the poor thing in the garage. Since the garage faced our bedroom, we got it full blast. That hound would yip and bark for hours. Well, I asked nicely, yelled once or twice and then took action. I recorded the barking with the 8mm, transferred the audio to cassette and waited for the appropriate time. It came within a month and I grinned from ear to ear when I saw the old fart setting up tables in the back yard. By 11 AM there were 20 to 30 people there for some family shin-dig. I set the Quartets up in my garage with an upright 4 X 8 sheet of ply wood a foot behind them. Once the Tandberg Receiver was plugged in, I hit play and gave them a dose of reality. Yea, he complained and yes I snapped back and embarrassed him in front of several of his friends and relatives. What, you dont recognize the bark?

I got 3 "you da man" salutes from other neighbors.

People can take most anything in small doses but sometimes enough is enough.