Warm and Airy Tube amps (Marantz 8B?) for Khorns wanted

Ki Choi

Well, I got the itch for the most warm and airy sounding tube amps for my Khorns. I am getting satisfyingly accurate sound from HK Citation IIs, HeathKit W5Ms, and Bel Canto SET40 in my set up. Now, I'd like to experiment for different sound from a tube amp doesn't have to be so accurate but produces classic warm and airy tube sound. I have had a modern EL34 tube amp for a pair of B&Ws once before that was pretty close.

I am considering about Marantz 8B. Let me hear from Khorn/8B owners. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ki

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marantz 8b you say. Coincidence-I think not!3.gif

It looks like you've got a pretty good setup, but hell how would I know, I'm basically here for comic relief.. I guess with a price range our local experts can give you several very accurate suggestions.

Rick:

Bel Canto SET 40 is a modern 35W/Ch SET amp that gives me the best imaging from the Khorns. But I end up playing the Cit II the most. I have not tried any other low power amps though. I think being able to try various low power amps on Khorns is one of the things I like about the speakers. Let me know a good 2A3 amp.

thebes:

I posted my inquiry about the 8B before learning about your miracle encounter. Good for you.

Guy:

Where can I locate a pair of 5s? They must produce beatiful sound.

Colin:

I use a pair of Velodyne ULD 15II subs with Khorns for music and use a SVS for movies. I didn't use any subs with the Khorns but Hoggy had lots of good things to say about his SVS sub additions to his Khorns setup so I tried and like it.

I also heard a Valve Audio (?), a German made EL34 tube mono blocks with very airy sound that approached signal processed sound that was very pleasing. I wonder one can get similar sound out of 8B with good NOS tubes.

Ki

Ki, have you upgraded the networks in your Klipschorns yet? You really must do this to hear the gear at it's fullest potential.

You might try the Wright 2A3 monoblocks. Certainly warm and airy, though lacking in dynamics. Quicksilver M-60's also fit into this descriptive category, while keeping dynamics intact.

The best, and I mean best tube amp for airy highs I have heard is the Humble Harman Kardon Award 300. Yes, it has tiny OPT, yes, the bass is flabby, but the highs are to die for. I know someone who has a custom 75 Watt Bass amp with MC transformers, midrange SET with the 300b tube and Tango OPT and the PP 6v6gt based Award 300 for treble. He has a 20k home built horn system that uses Western Electric and RCA horns. The HK award I have powers my Pi based horn system well, and provides highs that a Scott 299b that I had could only dream of.

Purchase a Dynaco ST70. Take the time or find someone to update the caps/resistors on the driver board or alternately, puchase a 100% equivilent original design driver board from the Dynaco Doctor fully stuffed and ready to insert into amp. The latter comes with instructions similar to original Dynaco kits and is easy to do. Go a little futher, and update the power supply section, a kit is also available from the Dynaco Doctor. You will end up with the identical sound of the original Dynaco ST70 and the frequency response and distortion will be that of the "Golden Age of Stereo". Everyone should own an updated ST70 for a reality check of today's gear.

How will the ST70 compare to an 8B you might ask. The sound of an 8B whether original or updated, will produce an excellent to spectacular sound stage with the image disconnected from your speakers and floating in space. The sound of the Dynaco ST70 rebuild, will have a very good to excellent sound stage again with the image disconnected from your speakers. The depth of the ST70 will be less than that of the 8B but ... quite close.

Today, a good 8B will put you back $1,500 or more while a good ST70 suitable for updating is more in the $350 range. The ST70 is a lower cost way to hear what David Hafler & Co. did to "voice" this popular amplifier. If you do have the bucks, don't hesitate to purchase the 8B. Sol Marantz and Sid Smith spent considerable time to "voice" the 8B and it is at the peak of the golden age mountain.

By the way, either the ST70 or 8B sounds spectacular with Klipschorns! And, if you own K-horns, puchase the ALK crossover upgrade (see the ALK forum). The sweetspot for either amp with the K-horns is about 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep and when one moves beyond the sweetspot, the 3D image remains but some of the pinpoint resolution begins to smear.

>>>Dan

----------------

On 1/15/2005 10:09:26 AM dlb945 wrote:

Purchase a Dynaco ST70. Take the time or find someone to update the caps/resistors on the driver board or alternately, puchase a 100% equivilent original design driver board from the Dynaco Doctor fully stuffed and ready to insert into amp. The latter comes with instructions similar to original Dynaco kits and is easy to do. Go a little futher, and update the power supply section, a kit is also available from the Dynaco Doctor. You will end up with the identical sound of the original Dynaco ST70 and the frequency response and distortion will be that of the "Golden Age of Stereo". Everyone should own an updated ST70 for a reality check of today's gear.

How will the ST70 compare to an 8B you might ask. The sound of an 8B whether original or updated, will produce an excellent to spectacular sound stage with the image disconnected from your speakers and floating in space. The sound of the Dynaco ST70 rebuild, will have a very good to excellent sound stage again with the image disconnected from your speakers. The depth of the ST70 will be less than that of the 8B but ... quite close.

Today, a good 8B will put you back $1,500 or more while a good ST70 suitable for updating is more in the $350 range. The ST70 is a lower cost way to hear what David Hafler & Co. did to "voice" this popular amplifier. If you do have the bucks, don't hesitate to purchase the 8B. Sol Marantz and Sid Smith spent considerable time to "voice" the 8B and it is at the peak of the golden age mountain.

By the way, either the ST70 or 8B sounds spectacular with Klipschorns! And, if you own K-horns, puchase the ALK crossover upgrade (see the ALK forum). The sweetspot for either amp with the K-horns is about 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep and when one moves beyond the sweetspot, the 3D image remains but some of the pinpoint resolution begins to smear.

>>>Dan

----------------

Having owned a Stereo 70 and a Marantz 8B, I must say that was well put, Dan. Yes, if the money is available, I would opt for a Marantz 8B or Guy's 5s. A nicely rebuilt 70 can get you fairly close to the sound - for less money.

Carl.

Carl.

Yes, Dan, nicely put. Thanks for your perspective. Do you have the same appreciation for Mark IVs as you do for the ST-70? I have a pair that need rebuilding (including restoration of tube rectification and replacement of one power transformer). At some point, I will be wanting some opinions on driver board options and other parts. I'll eventually do some homework over at that Dynaco forum. Any other recommended places to look? Sorry, Ki, no intent to hijack...

Ki,

My history might be interesting.

Years ago (Late 1950s or early 1960s I guess) My father and I built a set of Heath W5M amps. I buit one my father built the other. They were quite good. He later traded them in a nice brand new Marantz 8b. He also had the 7C preamp and the 10b tuner. There was an aduable difference. The 8b was somewhat cleaner at high volumes. The speakers were Tannoy "monitor" gold in bass reflex cabinets. When my dad died I inherited his 8b amp. I finally got tired of watching it cook itself from the heat and of buring my fingers trying to keep track of the bias currents. I traded it in on a SS McIntosh MC250. It sounded identical to the 8b and runs dead cold!

My advice: skip the 8b and buy a used Mc250 from someplace like Audio Classics or Audio Referbishers! There's no way an 8b is worth the $2000+ they go fo now! Put that money into changing out the squawker horns and crossover networks in your Khorns! You will not be sorry.

Al K.

Ki,

The link to my personal web site posted above describes the changes I made to my Belles. I found that replacing the square-front K500 horn with the rounded front Altec "Voice of the Theater" 811b made a HUGE improvement in the realism of the sound. With a Khorn, you will need the 511b horn. It's biger and will go down low enough to pair up with the Khorn woofer. This change alone will cost far less than any good amp and be far more dramatic an improvement!

Al K.