Klipsch & Yamaha

Matthorns

----------------

On 1/20/2005 9:19:56 AM Matthorns wrote:

I have heard some comments lately that Yamaha and Klipsch dot go well with each other!

Whats are peoples views and experiances on this topic??
1.gif

----------------

Well, when I recently picked up my Klipschorns the fellow selling them to me had them powered with a 70's era Yamaha receiver (I'm guessing 80 wpc) and he wanted to impress me with how loud they would go. And LOUD he went!

REALLY harsh, edgy & bright (he also had them connected with 22 guage wire). Got them home and hooked them up to my rebuilt Scott (a NosValves job) and it was all luxury.

However, this was ONE type of Klipsch speakers in ONE particular room with ONE model of Yamaha amp.

An interesting aside... he also had a pair of Tannoy speakers that I bought, also hooked up to the same amp, also with 22 guage wire, but they sounded much more reasonable. Still not great, but certainly more forgiving.

I have to think that if the guy had had the right kind of amplification for those babies (now MINE!!) he probably wouldn't have let them go so easily.

my .02,

Forrest

I find that When I ran my corns off my Yamaha Rx-V3200 thats it sound great Crisp, sharp Not too harsh.

However my Refrence speakers sound quite harsh on it totaly different comes with the different drivers i guess?.

Question of wether to got to heritage(in witch case ill want to run Tubes Any way)

Or change Amps and get a pair of RF-7 and move the corns into another room???????????15.gif

To many choices to make sometimes.

Any thoughts????

Matt

As it should be, make sure to listen to the pieces prior to purchase.

I have a Yamaha CR 1000 that sounds very nice on both my Heresys and my Cornwall IIs.

The loudness contour if used, lowers the mids rather than just raising the volume levels for bass and treble.

That is my opinion. Yamaha has had some quality changes over the years - as do a number of Companies. Some of the negative effects on sonic quality and sound may come from those owning the lowered quality Yamaha.

But in the end, it is how it sounds to you.

Good Luck

dodger

I have been running Yamaha equipment since the 70's, ALL of it was their higher line stuff. Currently my HT setup is a Yamaha RX-V 750, Heresy2 and LaScalla top section in front. I like the way it sounds, not harsh to me. I ran my Yamaha CA 600 and my Fort'e 1 speakers until I went all tubes. The sound was not as wide or as deep when compaired to tubes but it did sound OK. Just my $0.021.gif

I've got a CR 2040 and am origional owener.

I just bought some K-horns and found it to be harsh with them. I bought a Jolida 502B and (to me) it sounds WORLDS better, but not as nice as the 2A3 I auditioned them with.

I've also had a pair of LaScalas that I bought when I bought the Yamaha, so all I've ever known was that sound. I never knew what I was missing (actually hearing) until I moved over to tubes.

:)

----------------

On 1/20/2005 9:19:56 AM Matthorns wrote:

I have heard some comments lately that Yamaha and Klipsch dot go well with each other!

Whats are peoples views and experiances on this topic??
1.gif

----------------

In the world of audio, it all comes down to personal preference and budget, so here's my observations on Yamaha and Klipsch. BTW, rumour has it, that they are combining in a joint venture featuring packages.

I've been running a Yamaha RX 1300 ht receiver for a couple of years now. Currently, I'm running it with RF3 fronts, a RC3 centre, and 2 RS3 rear surrounds (with an Axiom centre for rear centre and a diy sub setup - see profile). It all sounds great. For ht, there's a good surround image with no gaps in the sound and lots of directionality to voice and effects. For music, I'll either run in the 6 channel entertainment or stereo mode and the RF3's perform well. I've also run the Yamaha with LaScalas and Cornwalls from time to time.

I find the Yamaha is built like a tank and I've had two years trouble free operation so far. I was going to use the pre-amp outs to run separate power amps for either stereo or ht but have never bothered. I'm quite happy with it's performance. For the price, the build quality, performance, and features, I've been very happy. Hamish

I had a Yamaha receiver (RX V70?) 85-watt stereo (produced in the 1990's)with KG5.2s that sounded harsh at higher volumes. Frank Sinatra did NOT sound smooth!

I replaced the Yamaha with SS separates from B&K and Adcom, the sound improved dramatically--

I agree about the vintage Yamaha pieces, though--fidelity is crisp and not harsh for older units, if its been cared for--

Referring to gauge wire--I like the 12-gauge from Home Depot!

Thanks guys for all the replys

I agree with most of the Yamaha/Hertige owners they soung fine together.

Just have to do some thing about the rest of the HT set up.

A full hertige system sound mighty good.

Might build one up and see how that works (big risk if it does not)

But it will be fun.

I heard a full Heritage 6.1 demo by a dealer with Khorns on the mains, a Belle center, 2x15" sub behind the couch and LaScalas on the rears.

It was AWE-INSPIRING, and I have never heard gunfire (dvd was "OPEN RANGE") like that in a home theatre BEFORE! Just on the shooting range...

DM2.gif

I'm another Yamaha/Klipsch user. I have an RX-V1 powering my Heritage HT with no complaints. The K-horns, LaScala's and Heresy's also sound great with the old RX-V390. The RX-V1 has Class A amps in it, I don't know about the RX-V390. It gets hot, but sounds great.

I had some Yamaha gear years ago and found it to be very nice with some DIY horn louded speakers I had built. I suspect that the older Yamaha 2 channel amps would sound good with Khorns but that most of the multi channel receivers on the market would not be the best choice for 2 channel especially with Khorns which are mercilessly revealing.