THX Certified

syd

----------------

On 1/24/2005 1:31:01 PM syd wrote:

What does everyone think.....when looking for a receiver should I get something that's THX certified or is it just a gimmick?

----------------

Is it a gimmick? No. Is it necessary? No. The question is whether

or not 'you' want to pay a little extra to have the certification.

personally i don't think it is worth the extra money, but no it is not a gimmick. it just states that the object (reciever, interconnect cable, and so on) for certain has been tested to meet george lucas's criteria for movie reproduction. The standards are very good, but a lot of stuff meets the stardard or comes close without the lable that costs big money.

----------------

What does everyone think.....when looking for a receiver should I get something that's THX certified or is it just a gimmick?

----------------

I tend to agree with the general sentiment on here that THX certification is nice, but not necessary.

I would not shop for a reciever or pre-amp based solely on if it is THX certified or not. I'd be more concerned that the unit I am interested in has the necessary features that I need as well as being able to do all the common encoding formats (DD, DTS, PL-IIx, etc). And more importantly, how it sounds in my system.

If the reciever that I happen to want also happens to be THX certified, then so be it. It was the case with my amplifier, which is THX certified. It is a pretty good bet that when I eventually replace the Denon AVR3802 reciever that I am using as a pre/pro with something "higher-end", it is probably going to have THX certification.

But yeah, most anything that is decent now a days is most likely going to have THX certification.

You can charge your friends and family *more* for admission, with the THX certification, and with the confidence that they're not getting screwed. 9.gif

If possible audition both offerings, and base your descision on your preference. It might make more of a difference with certain pieces of gear, than others, for example....... banana plugs. 2.gif

Absolutely it's a GIMMICK! Instead, just give ME your money, I'll certify anything you want, and you'll feel MUCH better.

There is no way for a home theatre to be "certified" in any way, shape, or form to be the equivelent of a THX commercial 500 seat theatre. The quantifications and requirements are completely different. So EXACTLY what do you think that the "THX certified" consumer-level gear is going to get you?

Especially in your NON-CERTIFIED home theatre room?!

IT'S A SCAM, KIDS!

DM2.gif

not a scam if you get your HT done by a THX guru....

Too bad I am not rich.,..then I would have it done...bt heck..I would have a dedicated room for it too...

I am jealous of you northerns...with basements...arggggg

Always buy gear based on sound,features,dependability etc...never buy based on a stickers.If you love it and its thx great,if you love it and its not great.You need to audition ANY gear then you can tell us whether thx matters or not.

----------------

----------------

it is NOT just a gimmick! in the area of receivers, it does include minimum specifications for the power output of the receivers amplifiers and their ability to handle to handle speakers with impedance speaker plots that dip very low in the lower register...

go to the THX website and you can find a list of THX certified receivers

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/productFind.html

----------------

On 1/25/2005 9:39:35 PM minn_male42 wrote:

it is NOT just a gimmick! in the area of receivers, it does include minimum specifications for the power output of the receivers amplifiers and their ability to handle to handle speakers with impedance speaker plots that dip very low in the lower register...

go to the THX website and you can find a list of THX certified receivers

----------------

Sorry, but when Kenwood put out the $400 el-cheapo "THX-Certified" VR-8070, any and all confidence I had in the THX certification process went out the frickin' window. That thing is a piece of garbage.

Besides, nowadays, George Lucas doesn't even own the THX company. He sold it off last year.

"Wonder why Denon has not done this.

IIRC, THX certification adds VERY LITTLE to the cost - as in, you will never pay a real premium."

Denon has a number of THX certified receivers, perhaps I am missing the sarcasm. I have one, though that is not why I brought it. Would say buy what you like. I have heard that THX is not musical as well, but its been pretty limited to discussions about THX certified speakers, many arguements about the surround speaker type (dipole vs direct) with movies vs music. Not so much about amps or receivers.

Griff is right, there it is a huge markerting component, they let crap slip through to collect the fees directly off of buyers who don't know any better and then introduce Ultra standard to keep the better manufactorers hooked.

----------------

On 1/25/2005 12:55:47 PM J.4knee wrote:

Yamaha RX-V3300 is one, although it is no longer manufactured. But yeah all the new stuff that is decent has eth THX cert it seems.

----------------

...And its replacement is THX certified. Yamaha always used to say they would never do THX, but now all their higher end stuff is.

In the end, it always boils down to simple business decisions. If the consumers demand THX, the companies better deliver, else be left behind in the dust.

Not that I subscribe to this theory, but in the audio business, it seems that "if you can't beat em, you'd might as well join em."

----------------

On 1/26/2005 6:06:23 PM Griffinator wrote:

Sorry, but when Kenwood put out the $400 el-cheapo "THX-Certified" VR-8070, any and all confidence I had in the THX certification process went out the frickin' window. That thing is a piece of garbage.

Besides, nowadays, George Lucas doesn't even own the THX company. He sold it off last year.

----------------

Exactly. THX doesn't mean what it used to. I think if you took a $99 receiver and paid the license fee, they would give it a THX certification nowadays.

They have THX certified cables that are very cheap, and some that are very expensive. I was at a meeting held by monster cable, when I used to be in Home Electronics sales, and we asked the Monster Rep what the qualifications were for THX certification on cables, and he said "Nothing." As long as you pay, you can call your wires THX.

Look at what THX is. It's nothing. If you go to the THX booth at a trade show, they don't have any product. They are selling NOTHING, and getting paid big bucks for it.

All that being said, I stand by the comment I made earlier. If you want a good receiver, chances are it is going to say THX on it whether you want it or not.