MR71 Antenna Advice "CRAIG Help"

Gilbert

I hung my butt off the peak of my roof and mounted one of these myself http://www.fanfare.com/fm-2g-buy.html what Mark suggests above is really the best solution.

For now if I was you I'd just run up to radio shack and get one of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=42-2385 at least until your ready to hang your butt out 2.gif

I think this is the sight Mark was looking for http://www.antennaperformance.com/

Hiya,for indoor a Godar antenna works good,I put a Godar in the attic and picked up my favorite public radio station that is 70 miles away. But yes the best is an outside Antenna Specialites APS9B or APS 13 mounted on the roof with a rotator. I went with a APS9B,Antenna Performance Specialites also sells an indoor antenna,but I haven't tried that one. I did like the Godar before going to a roof mount. I think there is a Godar on Audigon or Ebay. Or do a google search for Godar. Ihave the Fanfare FM-2 GC on my car,I tried using it in the attic too,but the Godar was way better. If the Godar doesn't work for indoor,it's easy to sell on Audigon. I sold my Godar in one day. You can also try mount a APS9B in the attic if you have room. I used to lay a Radioshack Yagi type antenna in the attic rafters,worked good,untill I bumped it and drove me absolute crazy re-directing it to pick up my favorite radio station. Then I went to the Godar for a short while. If you can roof top is the way to go. Local ham radio folks gave me installation advice and even volunteered to put it up for free. I wasn't even a member of their club and they said they live to put up antennas. But I decided to do it on my own,seems nobody installs FM antennas,if they do they charge big bucks. Best to have a buddy help with the final installation . I love my APS-9B !

Cheers,

Robert

Thanks for all the excellent antena info....much more than I expected. I guess there's a lot of you guys like me, that enjoy listening to the radio.

Anyway, since I don't plan to keeping this house, I'm gonna go with the GarbageShack special that Craig recommended. When I build new, then I'll go with that bad boy APS-13.

I have a 9' yagi and it does a very good job. I put it on a tripod base and an eight foot post to give it some height on the peak of the roof. It bought in stations clearly that were 50 miles away, which is what I wanted. About $200 when you take into account the antenna, tripod, post and 100' or RG-6 cable into the house. Now the easiest or the prettiest, but it works very well.

Don

I use one of those big tv antennas outside my house on a pole probally twenty foot in the air. I also live on top of a hill. So I get pretty good radio reception this way. I got one of those little turk antennas and it didn't do much for me if anything to tell you the truth. I think there made for people who live in the city or a complete rip off. I got one I dont' use if any ones interested. 9.gif

Generally speaking, with these roof-top antennae, bigger is better, eh? When one splits the signal (y'know, running the antenna to several rooms), is it a good idea to add an amplifier? I would assume that adds its own noise/degredation. Probably better for each room to have it's own roof antenna. Or two each (we can't forget AM). I know I'm being silly, but in there is a serious question....

Reality at my house: I mostly listen to one FM station when I even have time (lots of LPs and CDs to listen to also). I did put up an outside FM antenna, barely noticed much difference between that and the simple dipole wire I had up in the house, with the one station I listen to which fortunately is a good signal here. Probably the outside antenna brings in those other stations, but I hardly ever tune away from the one I listen to with any regularity.

So how many stations and how many hours do you all listen to FM radio really?

By the way, I have my serious ham radio out in a another shack on the property near a tall tree in which I strung a 160 meter Carolina Windom (265' wire antenna up over 100'+ at the tree end). Just below the 160 meter ham band is broadcast AM radio. The AM radio reception is absolutely unreal on this serious ham radio tranceiver with this spectacular antenna ! I never heard so many AM stations from everywhere so clearly. It was a revelation. Although this rig also has FM capabilities, unfortunately they are not in the UHF/VHF area of FM broadcast radio.

C&S