Klipschorns + Belle + HDTV =

DTLongo

Nirvana. At the age of 62 I have achieved a childhood audiophile's dream. Of course HDTV did not exist back then, but Klipschorns did.

The attached pic pertains. '03 Klipschorns, an '04 Belle center, not visible in the pic are RS-35 surrounds flanking the sofa and a Velodyne S-1500R servo subwoofer in a back corner.

I don't want to sound maudlin about this, but more than once I have stood in that doorway from where the pic was taken and contemplated that wonderful array and said, "lucky me." Those beautiful speakers are sculptures in their own right, in addition to what they do sonically. (continued)

post-10590-13819261574124_thumb.jpg

Attached is a pic from another angle.

For those interested, the TV is a Pioneer 50" model PDP-5040HD, purchased two weeks ago at Best Buy on sale for a penny under $5,000. That was a great price for a plasma TV of that size (still a lot of money). It comes with an outboard media center, visible on the lower right shelf in the photos, which includes HDTV and analog tuners and switching for other inputs so that only the power cord and a control cable go into the plasma display itself. HDTV is really as good as it's said to be. With a good signal source, it is virtually photographic, almost three-dimensional.

The digital cam with which I took the two pics is a Nikon Coolpix 8400, unique in its field because of its zoom wide-angle lens. It gets down to 24mm (35-mm equivalent), which is great for room shots like the one attached and for landscapes, etc.

post-10590-13819261576484_thumb.jpg

Most impressive!

Queston:

Do you have some sort of up-sampler for material that is not already HDTV. A friend of mine has one but I think it cost rather a lot. He uses it with his 3 chip DLP projector (which - I am lead to believe is a very impressive thing to say - well it was when he told me).

Apparently it is the next best thing to native HDTV.

(PS - if you dont have one and want more info - that is it I am afraid from me - I know nothing other than what is here.)

No, I don't have an up-converter or whatever it's called. But I think the TV does something itself to enhance non-HDTV material.

I must say, one of the things I've been impressed by the plasma screen with is its color fidelity and subtlety. On regular broadcasts and even on crxppy old VHS video tapes, the colors are marvelous. You see subtleties and gradations that you just didn't know were there before. DVD's look great, almost as good as HDTV itself. I don't know whether LCD and DLP screens perform likewise, but the plasma is something. Sort of like a video Klipschorn.

DLP Proj TV's do suffer some when the source signal is poor/non HD, Digital signals look great but the old channels (1-99) can look pretty bad depending upon their source quality. DVD's and HD are amazing though. You get an illusion of depth of field (3D'ish) in the picture. Color is also spectacular. I don't care for the stretching effect too much but you can adjust/switch out of it if you desire. The first HD picture I looked at was on Discovery channel HD and it was a cameraman wandering through a garden, his camera motion was a little jerky and I kind of felt queasy the detail was stunning.

Those high-tech rabbit ears are only for FM radio reception. Can't get off-air TV out here, need cable. That provides only seven HDTV channels so far but more should be coming shortly.

Anyway, I'm set for the Super Bowl. I'm from Boston so one guess whom I'm rooting for.

(Shame in 2003 that the Red Sawx and the Cubbies didn't end up in the World Series. Now THAT would have been something.)

I've said it before "You are the man". Everytime I think about buying used I think of your setup and go I want new. I want my dream system to match straight across.

One of the best setups I've seen.

(Shame in 2003 that the Red Sawx and the Cubbies didn't end up in the World Series. Now THAT would have been something.) That was what my dad and I were hoping for. Goes to Game 7. Glad the Sox finally buried the curse.

At least you will have a great looking and sounding Super Bowl.

Danny

----------------

I must say, one of the things I've been impressed by the plasma screen with is its color fidelity and subtlety. On regular broadcasts and even on crxppy old VHS video tapes, the colors are marvelous. You see subtleties and gradations that you just didn't know were there before. DVD's look great, almost as good as HDTV itself. I don't know whether LCD and DLP screens perform likewise, but the plasma is something. Sort of like a video Klipschorn.

----------------

Heyyy!!! "Visual Klipschorn!" I like that! DTL, you may have created some Longo's lingo here. A porsche roadster is an automotive Klipschorn? I'm sure it could be used to describe all sorts of superlatives, eh?

Congrats on the wonderful setup! Happy for you.

Relax, plug in something nice, and click away!

-F