Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb. 7

thebes

Talk about beginners luck! Jvencius, a member for only a couple of weeks has just walked off with a free Klipsch T-shirt in a totally random drawing. congrats and PM me with your mailing info and it will go out to you this week.

The formnat couldn't be easier: artist/group, name of cd/album etc., type of music as best you can. Commentary is more than welcome.

As usual I'll start it off with:

John Coltrane "A Love Supreme", SACD, most definetly jazz

I was reluctant to recommend this one because this is one you either love or hate. Even I'm conflicted, sometimes I love it, sometimes I'm saying to myself "can't exactly sing along to this one". I wouldn't start off discovering Coltrane with this one, but for those who are familiar with his work, this is one to throw on the changer.

So whatdo you have to offer this week?

Porcupine Tree: Stars Die the delerium years 1991-1997

This is kind of a best of from 1991-1997 and reflects just how long this band has been going. This is pretty Floydish music if you are not accustomed to their work. In Absentia is another of their more popular works and is pretty widly available here in the states as a DVD-A with awsome music and sound quality.

Stars Die really takes you a bit deeper into the group and I have grown to appreciate the disk. I also like the fact that it covers so much time since I was really only familier with In Absentia. They have a new release due out soon and it will also be released 5.1 so be on the look out for that one as well.

Lush Life: The Billy Strayhorn Songboook

CD; Jazz

Verve

Wonderful renditions of Billy Strayhorn tunes by the likes of

Sarah Vaughan

Art Farmer

Ben Webster

Frank Morgan

Dizzy Gillespie

Ella Fitzgerald

and MORE!

I also picked up a CD by Mary Chapin Carpenter: Between Here and Gone; Folk/Country that was recommended a few weeks back. A few tunes on this disc are really quite wonderful and introspective.

Forrest

Foxman,

I love Porcupine Tree. I have the DVD Audio of In Absentia and it is awesome! Yes the new one will be out in March and it is called Deadwing, also to be released in DVD Audio. I picked up the cd by Blackfield a few weeks ago. If your not familier with it, it is a collaboration between Steve Wilson of PT and Aviv Geffen, you also have a couple of other members of PT playing on the cd as well.

You might want to pick up Lightbulb Sun From PT I think you will like it too.

My new disc is by a polish band called Riverside. The new disc is "Out of Myself"

http://www.riverside.art.pl/index.php.

There style is of the progressive rock genre. I have been so fed up with the standard FM dial over the last couple of years it all sounds the same anymore. I have always liked progressive rock from Yes to Pink Floyd. But in this country you will never hear any progressive on the FM dial unless it is classic rock. I have turned to Europe for music as ProgRock is very popular overseas. They have some good samples and full songs on there website. I reccomend you visit and take a listen.

scooter

Jimmy Eat World - Futures (alternative rock)

Interpol - Antics (alternative rock. Sounds a lot like Joy Division)

Cave In - Jupiter

Cave In - Antenna (both good rock albums)

Just stuff I've been listening to lately. Oh and The Cure.

I missed out on a lot of good music having been born in the 80's.

----------------

On 2/8/2005 8:22:02 PM Diggs wrote:

Jimmy Eat World - Futures (alternative rock)

Interpol - Antics (alternative rock. Sounds a lot like Joy Division)

----------------

I've mentioned these before too. TOTALLY recommend them. Moreso Interpol than Jimmy Eat World though. There's more depth to their music.

Heck, I got the email last night and was tickled to death. Now I only have to wait five months until it's warm enough to wear a T-shirt. 6.gif

Now for my recommendations this week (they're all on CD, BTW):

Sarah Brightman "Classics"

Comments: She's got an AWESOME voice that is only getting better with time, the recordings are mixed so-so (often the orchestration overpowers her singing), and the cover art (especially on the back) is very very very very nice. ;-)

Rancid "...And Out Come The Wolves"

Comments: When I need to get rowdy, three chords, a bass, and some drums do the job--it's not particulary complex music but sometimes raucous is what fits my mood. I was channeling my high school/college freshman years this weekend and when I saw this disc on sale for $9, I had to buy it.

Green Day "Dookie"

Comments: Ditto the comments for the Rancid CD--they fit the same exact niche.

These are all on CD by Rod Stewart

Basiacally he has so far done three CDs of the Music of the 30s, 40s, and 50s. The Classics.

Though his voice is not the best for all of the songs, they are worth buying if only to remember good solid music.

I do find it interesting that a "Rocker" such as Rod, not of American birth findsthat this is a time to remember these songs - "It Had to Be You.." It seems that his bout with a throat cancer has resulted in it being a more melodic fullness.

On the Rock note, Road Cases CD by Foghat is worth all of it if you enjoyed them in the '70s.

Lonesome Dave the singer lead guitarist is no longer with us. Having Cancer, it went into remission. His wife developed Cancer and while taking care of her, his came back. He said nothing, taking full care of his wife instead. Cancer claimed him.

I was saddened, as I remenber seeing them as paths crossed in different cities. On the Original Foghat Live, I found it interesting that although no music on the LP came from my City, a photo of some friends of mine did.

His music and his humour are very much missed. Road Cases shows that some rockers only rock harder.

dodger8.gif

One of my favorite bands is eVibe. I know you haven't heard of them, they are a local Milwaukee band and unless you live there you won't find their CD. However, if you go the their web site

http://www.evibemusic.com/

you can sample some of their songs and if you want to hear more, I can get some CDs from the band.

I would describe them as jazz/funk sort of like MMW.

3 discs for this week

Explosions in The Sky - "Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place" - CD - Guitar Orchestra is the best description. these are the guys who did the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights

XTC - "Apple Venus Volume 1" - CD - Beatlesesque pop and sonically a tremendous recording

Steely Dan - "Aja" - MFSL Gold CD - Nothing more need be said about what is certainly one of the top 5 discs of all time in my book

Have fun everyone!

Almost forgot one!

Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Also, they have a B-side cover of Beyonce's "Crazy In Love" that's pretty good(not on the album).

Also, check out this song if you can download it somewhere:

Green Day vs. Oasis vs. Travis vs. Eminem - Boulevard Of Broken Songs

Party ben remix

It's pretty, well, interesting

Glenn Hughes, superlative bass player and vocalist with 5, yes FIVE octave range from Trapeze and 3 LP's with Deep PUrple. After losing his best friend and roomate Deep PUrple guitarist Tommy Bolin to multiple drug intoxication, Glenn found the AA 12 step program and got religion.

His first CD from that period called FROM NOW ON, features a wicked lineup of young tough rockers and Glenn's soaring vocals with many songs of recovery. Also about half the songs on the next CD BLUES have the same theme, such as 'Pickin up the Pieces', 'Have you read the Book'.

Great thumpin rock but equally strong messages for anyone in any type of rehab or recovery program.

Michael

----------------

On 2/13/2005 12:47:19 AM Allan Songer wrote:

"<a
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005HC9.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg" width=303 border=0>

Philly Joe and Grant Green are the stars on this one. It's a loose blowing session but so what?

----------------

What Allan said.