Cold Heat soldering tool

artto

You may want to search the archives... This subject has been discussed before. The biggest problem with these type of devices is that there is an electrical discharge (which may be hazardous to delicate electronic devices) and the tips are rather delicate and expensive.

I've got one and damn if the thing doesn't actually work!6.gif1.gif

I've never given much thought to the arc'ing being an issue for sensitive electronics, but then again, most of my soldering isn't on sensitive stuff. One of the tips that they offer is a round pointed tip (I have one) and it has a very small gap. I'm wondering if that tip would be better for sensitive devices????

Does it do as good a job as a dedicated iron? Not really. But overall, it does a pretty decent job. Hell, I think it's worth the 30 bucks or so. I'll tell ya when it's really worth it's price - when you're in the attic or on your back with your head up under the dash of a car. Places where having a HOT iron is NOT good! 15.gif

Tom

Guest Anonymous

yeah my buddy bought one thinking that it was going to be his way out of not having to buy a nice soldering iron, and he said it was horrible, the only thing he ever got out of it was a burn on his thumb, he said it was totally useless!

I've got one, and though I don't use it much, I think it's good for smaller wiring, not so much for thicker gauges. It flows an electrical current through the two ends of the tips to create the heat, what I've observed is that is you don't have good contact with the wire initially you'll get an arc when you get the tips close to making contact.

It seems to work well enough, especially in locations where electricity isn't readily available or where excessive heat is a concern. I haven't done any test to see if it induces a voltage into a circuit as it operates, but since it's point to point on the tips, I doubt it. Then again, I'm not an electrical engineer.

For the price, I'd recommend it, even if you only use it occasionally, it does do what it says it does, and the tips do NOT get hot from my experience, any more than a battery cable does after you've cranked a starter for 3 seconds. YMMV, etc.

A long time ago the Weller Solder Gun was popular. They're still around.

It was basically a big step down transformer which would heat up a resistive element at the business end.

I had wondered how they get only the tip of the loop to heat up. It must be that that section was somehow composed of a a righer resistance metal.

They would sometimes erode away at the tip to the point where you had a gap. It was easy enough to put in a new heater. At least one came as part of the kit.

Some smart cookie, writing in Popular Electronic (circa 1965), pointed out that you could just apply the gap to the terminal strip you wanted to heat, and solder to, and pull the trigger to force current through the terminal stip, thus heating it.

Evidently the idea has come around again.

I myself think it is not a wise application. It relies upon the vagaries of the circuit you're passing current through. Also, now we have thermostat controlled irons which are much more predictable and suited for circuit boards.

Gil

----------------

On 2/26/2005 10:33:44 PM jheis wrote:

It seems we have a lot of opinions on the question. But Artto asked if anyone had experience using the product. I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually USED the product. Does it work or not?

James

----------------

Well that is why I suggested a search of the archives!! Although I have never used the product, it sparked my interest enough to come up with this review. That Google is a wonderful tool!

I bought one from Home Depor thinking that it would be a great tool to have around and a safe way to teach my son how to solder. It looked great on TV so what the heck.

I got it home put in new batteries and was off...to dissapointment. It was a very poor performer in my book, yes it would melt solder but it wouldn't heat the joint up where it would flow into it. Tried a new set of batteries still worked the same. I then waas able to view the commercial on it again. I paid particular attention to what they were soldering. Everything I saw them work on was of very small gague wire or tiny connection points on a circuit board. Now I wasn't attempting to join 3 strands of 12 awg solid core or anything of the sort, just a strand of 20 awg onto a pot or terminal strip. Anyway, I took the thing back, I'll rely on my plug in Weller or Portasol butane model, both work well.

That's my two cents.