OT- prayers please

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Michael

First of all, I appreciate the fact that you feel comfortable enough to post a message like this. But more than that, Im humbled that you would confide in us in such a manner.

Unlike some here, I cannot in all good conscious say that I know what youre going through. I can say that Ive seen the end result of what happens when someone doesnt want or doesnt ask for help. This past Christmas my youngest sister died from Liver failure that was due to her excessive drinking. So, when I hear or see someone such as yourself recognize and acknowledge their problem and then ask for help, it does my heart good for I know that although the road might be bumpy, youre nonetheless on the road. A problem recognized is a problem half solved.

Weve not met or chatted in person, but from the few private emails weve exchanged, I sense that youre a good person with a big heart. Possibly its time to step back a bit from the work, the pressures, and yes, even this Forum and take a sabbatical. Obviously, finances may not allow you to spend 8 months in the mountains with Jesuit monks, but possibly you could manage getting away for a couple of weeks either by yourself or with friends/family. Ive seen some Alaskan cruises for cheap, cheap recently.

Not to be nosey, but if youre a religious person, your church may offer some options such as a mens retreat. I know religion is a very personal thing, however, I urge you to explore your spirituality. The faith that it takes to believe in that which you cannot see or fully comprehend, is the same faith that will make your recovery successful.

Lastly, I think youve done a great service to this Forum. Not so much with your opinions/suggestions/commentary/etc., but rather to bring to light with this thread that despite the rhetoric and banter here, were all so very human with very real life issues. I hope some of the young pups here pay attention to this thread and make note that theres more to life than the accumulation of Klipsch gear.

Im not going to tell you Good Luck Michael, because luck has nothing to do with your success. Your recovery will be accomplished with the same hard work, dedication, focus, commitment, and good decision making that made your photography business what it is. Get er done Michael!!

Tom

I am continually amazed with people who throw away opportunities I have never had a chance to see. I would give a left ******** for someone like Michael to mentor me/show me the ropes of a profession/skill I love. In a world where meaningful employment is more difficult to come by, where true craftspeople are increasingly difficult to find, why would someone throw that opportunity away?

+++++++++++++++++

Try beathing excersises.

Get a puppy.

Try anything

I have only drank 2 times (once 3 beers, once 6 drinks) since my daughter split 10 days ago.

Mom crying, little brother crying.

She blaming it on my wife to my mom and dad.

She made commitments to meand my wife to stay at home until the end of May and then just moves into an apartment when we are inthe hospital with her very ill grandfather.

Too many GEN Xers are of a mind selfishness is a right.

If it was not for my gorgous Christian wife, 3 remaining kids who think their sister is a jerk, my music and my dogs; I would be stoned.

Colter;

I would train senior citizens instead of kids. They would treat it as a hobby and be grateful to learn a new skill. They would nned more printed matter to refer to for traing of course. Old age and memory.

Hang in there....

Rick

"If it was not for my gorgous Christian wife, 3 remaining kids who think their sister is a jerk, my music and my dogs; I would be stoned."

Unfortunately, I have no wife or kids, no living parents, one good brother with family, one very bad brother with same habits as me. That's maybe why I spend so much time here. I have no one to confide, to share with, to give support. THree cats just not that much help, y'know?

There are some rooms where I go but that's just 1 or 2 hours of the day. The rest of the time I'm home alone with an insane man.

Had two vacations planned for this spring, both got cancelled.

Thanks for the encouragement gang... Think I'll hit another meeting tonight...

Michael

Hey Michael,

My advice is "Get OUT of the house!!!..." I know that may not be possible, but how about a studio somewhere else? Oh, and get a dog. They're much more emotional and needy than cats. Give ya someone else to think about.

I have only been on the Fourm for a short time, but have learned much and your threads are some of the few that I pay particular attention to. I'd like to thank you for all your advice. Hang in there.

2.gif

Even though you're already a fantastically accomplished photographer, perhaps a new, productive hobby would be a good idea? Something new to channel your creative energy into? After all, an idle mind is a dangerous mind. Stay strong, you've got a ton of friends here who are here for you and support you, not to mention 3 loving cats!

Michael,

You need to get out of the house, bro. I can go months without a drink, but I know if I sit in the house all weekend by Sunday night I'm thinking about having a glass a wine because I'm bored.

A dog is a great thing if you have the time. They love going for walks. I try and walk mine at least an hour a day. It's good for my dogs and good for me.

Go to coffee shops, art gallery's or book stores. You know the drill.

The one problem with this audio hobby is you have to sit at home and listen to it. If you sit too long, you get relaxed and then it's either fall asleep, one drink won't hurt or the whole weekend just passed you by.

Hell man you know where DrWho lives, go bother him.

If there is anything I can do or anyone on the BB please let us know. You are not alone.

Danny

still breathin sober, just back from mtg2, off to mtg 3 for the day. It's all I can do right now. THanks for the kind thoughts.

Here's my thoughts for today in a nutshell:

forget working with kids

take a friggin vacation (formed own companyh 6 years ago after Mom died, not a break since)

forget about a girlfriend until I get well

keep going to meetings

spend my time on the one good employee who's left

splurge a little on non-stereo stuff (sorry- but I do need a new car)

don't friggin drink

don't friggin drink

don't friggin drink

sound like a good plan?

Michael

Congratulations on making through the day clean. I have heard many good things about the folks at AA. I have met some who have nothing but praise for the help they received and gratitude for the new life they found. Humbling yourself by accepting help is the first step into the door of healing. I hope that we who read your posts are challenged to face our problems head on as you have undertaken to do. Keep it up. Find the Strength you need. It is better to walk with a stone in your shoe than live with a boulder in your path.

The candle is lit.

The photo business must be an anxiety producer in the digitial age. Got a backup in sight? The uncertainty may be gnawing away.

There are a few good kids out there, but I think I know them both.

Seniors could be a big help, both to your business and as nurturers.

Don't overlook other help organizations. The SA often has "graduates" that are looking for new beginnings.

In the meantime, you are in my prayers.

DR BILL (aka FATHER BILL)

colterphoto1 :

If you don't know this.....say this a million times ocver.

It is the key to all your serenity:

God grant me

the SERENITY

to accept the things I cannot change,

COURAGE

to change the things I can,

and the WISDOM

to know the difference.

.....Unfortunately, I have no wife or kids, no living parents, one good brother with family, one very bad brother with same habits as me. ....

You obviously have family. You are speaking to us now. I love this forum. Most here are opinionated asses until there is a brother in need.

What Dean said!!

You have already been lifted up in my house. HE does Not give us anything that we cant handle.

anything-any time 479-263-2966

Terry

Michael, my Mom gave me a little clip to clip onto the visor of my truck back when I started Chemotherapy... it reads:

Lord, Help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that you and I can't handle together.

Hope this can help you as it did me.

-Joe

----------------

On 3/1/2005 8:03:05 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I hope that we who read your posts are challenged to face our problems head on as you have undertaken to do.

----------------

Hit me in the head with a rock.

Michael, your plan sounds sound to me. Good to hear you're making it through another day. One at a time. Since I'm still on the computer, that's means I'm still at work, and it's 8:13 here. I didn't do as well as you today. 15.gif

Thanks for having the balls to bring up a subject so many people feel is taboo. It just might make a difference in some peoples world.

thanks gang, My only glitch today was an Epson printer that kept giving me 'communication error' messages. I found it necessary to yank it from its cables and toss it from my office through two doorways onto the kitchen floor. Having already broken it, I found myself outside smashing it to smithereens on the concrete patio. Cried for about an hour, then cleaned up my mess. I never liked that printer.

Cost $100, Enjoyment- priceless

Third meeting got boring so came home and called my sponser. No actual work took place today except for meeting a former Bride at her home and collecting her order for photos I took of her 7 month old son. $500 for 1/2 hour photo session and about $100 in prints. Not bad for a burnt out hippie, huh? Maybe I still have it but hard to keep my heart in the business.

If I can stay sober each day and accomplish ONE thing, I feel like I'm making progress. Rebuilding 5 Cornwalls will be like a vacation for a month. Can't wait for warmer weather to get started. There is light and life at the end of the tunnel.

Say my prayers, drink some h20 and beddy-by early tonight. It's been one heck of a ride today. Thanks for being there on the magic carpet with me. God Bless You All!

Michael