Rope Caulk Results

J.4knee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/9/2005 2:23:29 PM seti wrote:

I finally bought some rope caulk this week to do my belles but i am nervous about talking out the horn is it possible to do without pulling it out ?

----------------

You can do it from the rear with Dynamat or a similiar product from Parts Express or your local car sound shop. That's how I did my LaScala horn.

Rick

----------------

On 3/9/2005 1:15:35 PM ram87 wrote:

Seadog thanks for the info Is'n thecrossover for the cornwall/LaScala at 6K???? isn't it sharp enuff??? or is something not right?? to stil be worhing at 3K above crossover sounds like crossover not sharp enuff i could be worng. What is the frequ range of the K55 ram87

----------------

Here is my understanding of where and how the P-trap works:

The simple crossover networks like the B used in the Cornwall used only a high pass filter (a capacitor) for the squawker rather than a band pass filter (which would include an inductor and a cap). The idea was that the squawker naturally cuts off at around 6kHz, so the high pass was all that was needed. However, the early K-55-V drivers (before about 1980) had the 9kHz peak, and need the P-trap to eliminate the current at 9kHz. The newer K-55-V drivers (with the solder-on connectors) dont need a P-trap, even with a simple network, because a design change in the phase plug fixed this problem. Also, networks like the ALK dont need a P-trap even when using the older K-55-V.

The P-trap works because at 9kHz the inductive reactance equals the capacitive reactance. The current through the inductor and the capacitor are equal but out of phase, so the impedance of the circuit is extremely high at that frequency. (Disclaimer: I am a mechanical engineer and it has been 25 years since I took a circuits course).1.gif

The fella tht developed the P Trap (a very experienced old horny and friend of PWK) reports that about 20% of the K-55 drivers he tested had the 9khz flare. One can't assume that one needs a P Trap but it's a good thing to try if your certain older Klipsch sounds harsh and fierce.

On the other hand if your LaScala or Heresy sounds harsh and fierce it may simply be working properly.2.gif

One caveat

I used the Butyl Rubber Tape I found at a local RV dealer and paid about C$20.00 for a 25 foot roll. I later found the same product at a hardware store in a blister pack labelled as Plumber's Tape at C$4.95 for a 6" strip.

Therefore as Butyl Rubber Tape it cost 1.25/ft and as Plumber's Tape it sold at C$ 9.90/ft!!

If you take the horn out you might try the idea Andy mentioned a long time ago...there are seams and rough stuff in the throat of the horn,,,i rigged up a long rod with emry cloth on it and smoothed the whole inside of mine down.I was using this industrial enamel from lowes for the sides of Ks im redoing it stays flexable ,,,so i tried it on one horn and it seemed to help the ringing ,although i dont think they ring when installed ..but i could be wrong.Rick

Moon, my Loews store didn't have the Moretite brand, but instead its FrostKing Fingertip Rope Caulk # P24 or www.frostkind.com. It's for idiots who can't use a caulking gun. Find it where door weatherstriping, etc is kept. It's gray clay-like stuff that stays pliable, doesn't every dry out or crack. (sez so on da box)

The box of 19 oz is a roll of 3/16 bead 90 feet long, but it's on roll with 8 'threads' together on a slab, so basically you have this slab 1 1/2" wide x 11 feet long. Cut slabs and smash em on the flat surfaces of horn, take a couple more feet and wrap around the throat and give it a listen. Looks like most folks smoosh it on a couple layers deep and someone said 8 boxes for 2 LS. So I bought 4 boxes tonight to play with a Corn horn. Probably 2 boxes per Corn horn should be enough. It's only like $4 per box, so I wouldn't try regular clay or plumbers putty. More can't possibly hurt. Never seen anyone use anything over it, so it must stay on okay.

Only use it on the metal Mid horns (some put it on the spokes of the woofer basket. Plastic 601, 401 horns do not need the caulking mod, they are resonant free already. Just thump em with a fingernail to see if they ring.

Michael

----------------

On 3/8/2005 9:21:35 PM psg wrote:

The openning in the back of my La Scala's is on the small side; it doesn't go the full width of the speaker as I have sometimes seenm in pictures. Should I remove the horns to do this? Will I kill myself trying if I don't? Will it be easy to remove and put back?

----------------

The easiest with less potential for damage method is to remove the tops.

dodger

----------------

On 3/5/2005 11:29:55 PM J.4knee wrote:

OK I just roped caulked my squawkers in my La Scala’s, 720 ft (8 boxes) between the two. First impression is the mid’s are smoother yet more defined. Everything seems to integrate just a little better. Now granted the changes are subtle but noticeable. I did the ring the horns thing before and after and yeah they are pretty well damped now. It will take some getting used to, I listened to the un-caulked for 21 years, they are still snappy on snares but not as edgy. I think I am going to like this. Has anyone ever done the tweeters? Somehow the tweeters sound a little clearer, could be a placebo affect not sure about that yet. After I have some serious listening under my belt I’ll write more.

----------------

After reading all the replys on this topic I have a question.

I have used glazing (putty) strips which comes in 25ft lengths from Home Depot on my horns for the Cornwalls. What I would like to know is it possible to disconnect the driver from the horn and dip/coat the horn in rubber/neopreen inside and out and of course masking off areas which do not need it. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts or concerns?