Best SUB match for LaScalas

mdbrien

I'll take a stab at the 1 or 2 question. 1 sub is a lot easier to set up than 2 (unless the 2 are co-located). When you have 2 subs non-colocated you spend a lot of time ironing out phase and cancellation issues. There are many single subs out there that will keep up with your mains. You'll find that you are recomended the brand that each individual poster has. Strictly for music, many people prefer the sound of a sealed sub. Really really good subs sound like crap when not set up properly, so take your time and dial in whatever sub you decide on.

You CAN benefit from 2 subs, especially when it comes to music in a 2-channel configuration. The Outlaw ICBM-1 ($250 new) is the perfect external crossover to use for such an application, since it can output true stereo bass, withdrawn from L and R channels separately. I can only dream of such a setup at this point, but I can imagine that having stereo bass would help with creating a truer, wider soundstage.

Since the bass signals are filtered from separate channels by the ICBM, there is no more interference than there would have been with just the mains.

Of course, this would require that the subs be placed appropriately on the left and right.

With regards to the selection of the subs themselves, I will continue recommending the Dayton Titanic 15" Kit in cases where the price is important, but quality cannot be compromised. Please see my very detailed review with a ton of photos here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59175

If you own speakers like the LaScalla you must at least have a mid sized or larger room.Also the LaScalla does not need any help in the "punch" departament.This said you only need a real deal sub capable of supplementing deep bass and reaching deep(20Hz with ease and little to no loss).

Here the SVS PB2-Plus and PB2-Ultra would do a great job,cost effective and all you have to do is dial the subs in to match you listening room.

As much as I would like to point a RSW15,it lacks a bit in the true subsonic output(read output below 25Hz).

Another great sub would be the large Velodyne HGS18(now updated to auto calibration and renamed DigitalDrive),the most "musical" sub and output to below 16Hz.My "musical" reference comes from the fact the sub can be AUTO calibrated and match any speaker system like a charm.

Setting up 2 subs in 2 loctions is no trouble at all. In fact, colocating the subs guarantees you will reinforce your room's modes. Putting 2 subs in 2 places makes it easier to fill in the modes of one sub with the other.

Matching the output of La Scalas with subwoofers can be a bit of a trick because of the relatively low distortion of the La Scala's bass horn compared with the direct radiator subwoofer. I'd look for 2, or more, large subs known for low distortion. That 18" Velodyne might be a good candidate. I've never seen one of them.

All good advise... just want to make sure you noticed the most important points brought up here. I don't know at which volume you use those LaScalas but I can say from personal experience you'll need a highly capable sub if you don't want to find yourself upgrading soon.

Regardless of brand, you'll need one or two LARGE subs with good excursion. You never did mention budget, so I second theEARs model recommendations in Klipsch, Velodyne and SVS, although I'd also strongly consider the Klipsch KW-120-THX subs (over the RSW).

I'm a firm believer that LaScalas really need a subwoofer to shine esp in 2channel music... as they roll off very early. It'll make you rediscover your music collection!

Rob

----------------

On 3/7/2005 10:49:08 PM John Albright wrote:

Setting up 2 subs in 2 loctions is no trouble at all.

----------------

I wish I knew that before I spent an entire week end moving, measuring, calibrating, moving again, measuring and recalibrating, etc. I feel that each room is different. It may be easy to set up non-colocated subs in one room and difficult in another. Room placement issues, WAF, room size, shape, treatments etc will all factor in. My first attempt, I had more bass with one sub turned off than with both on. Setting up mains and subs are two completely different animals. Don't lead this poster to think he can buy two subs, throw them anywhere, adj gain and go. It just doesn't work that way. Sure you may get lucky and they work in the first place you put them, but more often than not they wont.

Thank you all for the feedback. Just to let you know, I wrote to Ron Stimpson over at SVS, and explained to him my situation. He recommended the SVS 20-39PCI. So, looks like I'm gonna give it a try. I'll post the results. Thanks again!

I don't think that single SVS sub will come close to keeping up with those La Scala's if you listen loud at all. No how, no way. That thing will be burping and farting long before the La Scala's run out of gas. If you listen at primarily lower levels than it will most likely be fine.

I would easily recommend the THX-120 system with the dual subs and 1K amp for a pair of La Scala's. That would keep up.

Bass is not that scientific here folks I run dual subwoofers and I didn't use any measuring apparatus at all. Cancellation and bass nulls can occur but a quick walk around the room should key you as to where they are. If you think I don't have nice smooth deep bass and tons of it I would have to say that you are full of it! Most of the time the subs sit idle though since I have 7 other 15" woofers in the same room.

all very good advice, if you have no sub now, adding one will blow you away, you are definitely missing out, in both music and movies, except I think the RSW15 is a good choice, lots of punch, if not the lowest bass, I think you will love the SVS tubes, very deep, better than the KSW series...

3.gif

Thanks again for the recommendations. After thinking about it more, I will look farther into the THX-120 system, since I love to crank in up. Also I would much rather have the KLIPSCH name on my system. I will let you all know the results. Thanks again

I feel fortunant to pontificate on this matter because I have three split La Scalas in the front of a yet to be finished (Man I pray before the Klipsch weekend to allow some of you to see and hear it too...) Basement dedicated HT

I love the la Scalas... but they do need help for movies.

I also have the new Klipsch KA 1000 amp with the (2) Klipsch KW-120-THX subs.

One word .... AMAZING!

Everything I had hoped for, gut wrenching, clean, powerful, musical with music.. Powerful clean explosions when those were needed as well.

Extreemly happy with the La Scalas, a home run.

Nice thing is the "footprint" (size) of the subs are not huge, and front firing. You can hide em in a book case, or next to the La Scalas, no problem.