What's YOUR hourly wage?

I really don't want to know, but thought you could compare yours to Bill G. and see where you stack up.

I'd heard something the other night about Bills' net worth being around 45 Billion. Started doing some math in my head while driving, got too confused, forgot about it till I read the thread about Firefox and Microsoft.

Checked tonight, Bills' rated at #1 on Forbes list at 46.5 billion. Break it down.

Say he started working at 18 like most people. Say 16 if you want, won't greatly effect the outcome. He's now 49, so 31 years of work. Give or take.

46.5 Billion/31= 1.5 billion/year.

Average Joe, 8-5, 40 hour week, 52 weeks a year. 2080 hours a year.

1.5 billion/2080= $721,115/hour for the last 21 years. 6.gif

It should be safe to assume that when he first started the company, he wasn't making that much money per hour. Therefore, the hourly has to be higher now to offset the early years. Go for broke and just say that, for every hour of a 40 hour work week, the man makes one million dollars every hour. Damnnnnn.

Of course, he's also the countries highest rated philantropist, giving away billions every year to charities and the foundation he and his wife created, I believe for AIDS research. Granted, this per hour rate doesn't include the long days when his company was in development and he was working 80 hour weeks, but it also doesn't include the days off, month long vacations and golf afternoons he has now. Consider that a wash too.

I coulda been a contendor. But I liked cars instead of little boxes with wires. 15.gif

Many may not like your product, Mr Gates, even though they are forced to use it, but we all have to tip our hats to your for the financial empire you've built.

Break it down to seconds, and if he dropped a $100 bill on the sidewalk, he would be losing money if he wasted the three seconds it takes to stoop down and pick up the bill...6.gif That is insane money...but I don't begrudge him a penny of it. It is the American dream..capitalism at its best.

----------------

On 3/14/2005 8:39:13 PM fletcherkane wrote:

Break it down to seconds, and if he dropped a $100 bill on the sidewalk, he would be losing money if he wasted the three seconds it takes to stoop down and pick up the bill...
6.gif
That is insane money...but I don't begrudge him a penny of it. It is the American dream..capitalism at its best.

----------------

Well, since you asked, it's just silly.

$721,115/hr = $12,018/minute = $200.31/second. For 31 years. Dayyyuuummmm.

Imagine someone throwing 2 $100 bills on your desk EVERY SECOND for the last 31 years you were at work. Really. Hold your fingers out like you were dealing out cards, two per second, for 10 seconds. You've just made $2000. Now have that dealer do that for 31 years.

I'm guessing he doesn't drive a Chevy.

----------------

On 3/14/2005 8:32:10 PM SHUFF wrote:

...all made possible by cheap IBM clones and peripherals (China)

Give the people what they want.

No one forced anyone to use Gates' product.

You could/should of bought a Mac.

----------------

Mr. Gates began writing for the MAC. If Apple had not been so uppity and licensed their hardware production instead of making it cost prohibitive for most people they could very easily have been in the dominant position the clones are today. I am not a big fan of Mr. Gates MS, but his business strategy was superior.

----------------

On 3/14/2005 8:46:58 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

----------------

----------------

Ahhh yes, the Macintosh. Upgrading convenience at it's best. Just throw out the old one and purchase a new one.
11.gif

----------------

LOL... YUP! I work at Intel, I'm sure you can guess the odds of me ever buying a Mac. 2.gif

----------------

...all made possible by cheap IBM clones and peripherals (China)

But not at the time he was getting started, that was all American stuff back then . . .

Give the people what they want.

They did.

No one forced anyone to use Gates' product.

Debatable, but essentially true.

I think you mean "should have." Many have.

My favorite quote from ole Bill.

To create a new standard, it takes something thats not just a little bit different, it takes something thats really new and really captures peoples imagination and the Macintosh, of all the machines Ive ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard. Bill Gates

Bob

Where was it in our American capitalistic society, where for generations we loved success stories...saluted them as the heros of business... That today anyone that is successful is a bad person?

Bill Gates and his co workers.. Just an unbelieveable company and business culture.

Also, an amazing amount of money he also gives BACK to the community too.

My 2 cents

Instead of worrying and complaining about your life to his... How about IMPROVING your own life and not worrying about it? Personally, I wish MSFT great success because of the economy it drives and the many many businesses connected to it. Go Bill, Go!!

Additionally, IIRC, Bill & IBM managed to strike a deal with the IFG (Imperial Federal Government) that allowed them not only the capital to expand and create the OS, but also have an exclusive contract (i.e. no competition) and instant customers. Once that OS was in place and became imbedded in all the multi-layers of the IFG and their support entities, it became virtually impossible from an economics standpoint to change over. And I dare say that's true today. IOW, it wouldn't matter if another OS came along that absolutely smoked M$ OS and was half the cost, there's no business plan that could ever justify the cost of converting. I'm no programmer, but as a member of three teams that's gone through software upgrades/implementations in just my little corner of the world, I'm well versed in the costs of such things. Anyhow....

To Mr. Gates I say, "You go Bill!" 1.gif

Tom

ps: I'm willing to bet the IFG watches 'ol Bill pretty closely too. Why? Tell me how much "damage" his money could do if it got into the hands of the DNC or RNC or Green Peace or whatever. Remember, we're not talking millions here - we're talking billions. Wealth that's growing exponentially which will reach a point of being like a reactor with no control rods!

I thought pirates was good, and read Gates' high road book, I liked the part about how he got the Mac OS (and later paid them $150 million), I was there too, but never bought any of their stock until recently...

• 2 weeks later...

does this all mean bill can afford k-horns?

just switched to linux core two weeks ago and not looking back, tried linux some yrs ago and it needed some time to grow. grow it has. try it! no more hrs lost running ad-aware or spy-bot, and no more anti virus updates.

bill is now investing in anti-virus software companies...

come on, it's your lousy code that let's all these idiots in bill.

hmmm, what if doctors were heavily invested in the insurance companies that supplied malpractice insurance to them??

could they then make more money from making mistakes than from doing good work in the first place?

also: if i am not mistaken bill eventually bought mac-apple whatever...

thus the glowing review from him of mac posted earlier

i don't even need a calculator to figure out he has my income beat! kinda makes you wonder what his income taxes must be, hehe, must have to write very small to get all the zeros on there...

Window's popularity is the reason for spyware, etc as much as any flaws it may have. As somone who's ran quite a few flavors of DOS/Windows and Unix/linux over the years, trust me its more tradeoffs than one entity's OS being better.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was a salary poll!