System Sounds Great Tonight

garymd

I don't really know why it is but sometimes my system just sounds better to me than other times. Tonight is one of those times. I can't wait to put the next LP on. State of mind? The fact that the tubes have been glowing for about 6 hours now? I don't really know but I may be up late trying to figure it out.2.gif

Listened to Clare Fischer's Big Band for the 3rd time in as many nights and just finished The Beatles Revolver on MFSL vinyl. I was never as impressed as I thought I would be with that LP until just now. My goodness! I think I'll drop on my MFSL copy of Jefferson Airplane's Crown Of Creation next. I'll at least listen to "Lather." That is one great recording.

Boring topic I know, and I wish someone else was here to share the experience (someone who cares anyway). The best I can do is share with you guys.

Have a great weekend everyone.1.gif

Before I put any effort into getting clean AC in my listening room, certain times, usually late in the evening, the music would be cleaner, and less noisy.

Less things running in the house, less dirty AC coming into the house, Less AC being used around the neighborhood. I believe it's all related. It's not your imagination.

No Disc

----------------

On 4/15/2005 10:55:33 PM No Disc wrote:

Before I put any effort into getting clean AC in my listening room, certain times, usually late in the evening, the music would be cleaner, and less noisy.

Less things running in the house, less dirty AC coming into the house, Less AC being used around the neighborhood. I believe it's all related. It's not your imagination.

No Disc

----------------

That was the first thing I thought of. Sometimes it happens during the day but you're right. It's usually late at night. The house is quiet and I'm hearing things in these recordings I've never noticed (happens a lot anyway). Ever heard a yawn during "I'm Only Sleeping?"

At least 3 different times tonight I got the chills from something I listen to all the time.

----------------

On 4/15/2005 10:50:56 PM garymd wrote:

I don't really know why it is but sometimes my system just sounds better to me than other times. Tonight is one of those times. I can't wait to put the next LP on. State of mind?

I know exactly what you're talkin' about,there's no doubt state of mind has some role.Its for sure that if you've had the tunes goin'for a long time you're just in a good mood for listenin'.I've had days when I turn on the music at 4 or 5pm and listen to way past midnight.I don't understand all the reasons but maybe its like I haven't listened(really listened) to music/system enough and I gotta catch up.

----------------

I don't really know why it is but sometimes my system just sounds better to me than other times.

----------------

I'm convinced that humidity, temperature, and pressure have something to do with it too. I used to play the double bass. I noticed some nights it would be the most mellow sounding instrument you can imagine. Other nights, it'd have a harsh edge to the sound, a sort of raspy bass. No technique or change of rosin could help. Everybody else's bass would have the same problem on those nights. It was just one of those nights.

Another thing that convinces me of this is that when my system starts to have a certain rough edge it, I notice people's voices in my house have a similar rough edge.

I know what you mean to Gary. There are good nights and there are great nights. The 299 and Cornwalls sound great tonight. Max says Grieg's Peer Gynt is really relaxing so instead of working or playing on the computer, I'm going to sit back and do nothin' but listen tonight. The darn taxes are off to the IRS and Wisconsin Dept of Revenue so dag gonnit, it's relaxing time! Have a good weekend all!1.gif

This has been a picture perfect day here in Kentucky! Now, late at night, the system is a little hotter than usual while most of the town is quiet. Windows open, gentle breeze, good tunes, a relaxed state of mind and waves of crystal sound.

ahhhhhh

Forrest

Audio Adviser used to make my day when I would receive their latest snake oil,I mean esoteric audio catalog back in the 80's (I think they bought Speaker Builder or Audio Amateur's subscription lists!) as it was filled with the most amazing array of absolutely fascinating(sic) cables, cable conditioners, directional cables and other bits of hocus pocus.

But one of my two favorties items were the water insulated and the light insulated cables. Yep! And at absolutely absurd prices! Hey water is pretty scarce!

And as their blurb went, everyone knows your system sounds better at night by virtue of the absence of cosmic radiation. (nevermind thinking aboiut this and the fact that visible light is actually only a small part of the continuous radiation emitted by the sun, as you will ruin the 'vibe'!) And while the reality was that the sound was probably better due to whatever you were drinking or smoking or...well...;-), if you didn't think too long or hard (or at all!) it almost made sense!

By the way, the water insulated cables were designed by a nuclear engineer, based on the common knowledge that water is the best insulation, after all it's used to insulate fissionable material in nuclear power plants! Sounds reasonable doesn't it!? Anyway... I can just see Homer Simpson in his garage thinking up the next new product!

Well, I happen to be a big proponent of the cosmic radiation theory ( along with a good beer, margarita, wine, or substance of Your choice) and I defy anyone to prove this wrong!

And you wondered why it sounded better at night!

Well, now you know. Now, if you could just get some of those cables!

And to think that some of you guys think physics doesn't have a place in audio!9.gif9.gif

Have fun!

Gary and others,

I know exactly what you mean. Been there many times. I think it is mood as much as anyting else because it does not happen every night - but when it does - it is magic!!

All the other items play a part I am sure - clean power, lower background noise, dark environmnet etc.etc. (except Dragon's Cosmic rays - that I do not buy) but in the main - it is simply the end of the day, we are relaxed - and we happened to choose a piece of music that hit the spot!

wow! an original topic for once in the Klipsch 2-channel forum! 4.gif

Uhmm, i'd have to agree w/ the guitar thing. Temperature definately changes the sound of anything A LOT.

I've actually been experimenting with this on and off, mostly on, for about 6 months. I noticed after 2am (i know you oldies don't stay up that late) when the city gets pretty quiet is a good time to let the details shine through. Again, probably not ideal if you have a wife or kids. Fortunately for me, my g/f doesnt care. 9.gif

This is what i've come to the conclusion of, after it rains at night, when the streets are all wet, put up a fan and crank open the window (put on a coat if your cold) let the cold moist air come in the room, then close the window if you want. the speakers sound definately when the sound goes through the air when it's cold/moist, unlike my trumpet 1.gif

It's mostly a state of mind though. Like being away from the speakers for a week + does it for me. But those of you who do smoke (stuff) obviously know how it can make your stereo system sound better. At least that's what I've been told.2.gif

-Joe

----------------

I don't really know why it is but sometimes my system just sounds better to me than other times. Tonight is one of those times. I can't wait to put the next LP on. State of mind? The fact that the tubes have been glowing for about 6 hours now? I don't really know but I may be up late trying to figure it out.
2.gif

Listened to Clare Fischer's Big Band for the 3rd time in as many nights and just finished The Beatles Revolver on MFSL vinyl. I was never as impressed as I thought I would be with that LP until just now. My goodness! I think I'll drop on my MFSL copy of Jefferson Airplane's Crown Of Creation next. I'll at least listen to "Lather." That is one great recording.

Boring topic I know, and I wish someone else was here to share the experience (someone who cares anyway). The best I can do is share with you guys.

Have a great weekend everyone.
1.gif
----------------

Gary,

More often than not, late night listening is enhanced by lack of dirty AC. I've started using a Welborne Labs Gatekeeper in my system and found an improvement with respect to a more quiet backround even in mid day. Much easier for the details to shine through. I have no financial connection with Welborne, and even had trouble getting mine delivered due to a parts shortage, but it's proved worth owning. I have my monoblocks, preamp, and phono preamp connected to it.

gk2004y.jpg

Gatekeeper X1 w/Hubbell IG5362 Receptacles

Klipsch out.

Music sounds better late at night because the kids are in bed, the wife's watching tv upstairs, and me with a glass of malt in my paw knowing I don't have to get up early to go to work the next day.

Edit: ...and anyway, aren't those mains filter thingo's just a waste of money? Shouldn't the power supply of properly designed amplifiers perform this task?

My problem is one of the Khorns backs up to my youngest (14 yo) daughter's room, so when everyone else is in bed, I cannot crank it. I can fire up the Denon/KSP system, but it's set up in a weird off-center position that mostly works for HT, but kills soundstage. At least, using "5 Channel Stereo," it fills the room.

Maybe it's time to treat myself to a good pair of cans...

"Edit: ...and anyway, aren't those mains filter thingo's just a waste of money? Shouldn't the power supply of properly designed amplifiers perform this task?"

Ideally yes, practically, no.

I proved that to myself the first time I built a cheap, capacitive shunt filter on the end of a stub 3 prong power cord. Now I have a hospital grade Tripp-lite constant voltage isolation transformer connected to my sources and pre-amp as well as a couple of my filters for the high current things including my TV.

I listen to Music Choice on cable quite a lot. There may be truth to the "Solar Radiation" theory. Some days there is a harshness that disappears at night with the same amp and speakers on the same channel.

Rick