What's a 'Dean' Crossover ?

KT66

Our resident forum member DeanG can build them up for just about any Klipsch speaker. Some from scratch, others he using the stock layout and upgrades all the parts.

Do they make a difference - you bet your a$$ they do!

Bob Crites, Al Klappenberger, and Chris Munson also offer these crossover services on different levels. Pick your flavor.

I've been reading you guys for a couple of weeks now. I have a pair klf 20's and a humble HK avr40. You're saying that upgrading my crossovers would improve my sound. That I believe. However, I don't have preamps and tubes etc. Mostly average stuff. Plus, I'm half deaf anyhoo. Would it really be worth my effort? 1.gif

I have high frequency hearing loss in some frequencies and I could easily tell the difference without even trying. So much so that I did the balance of my speakers as well. It makes a marketable improvement regardless of what you are running for amplification. It will smooth out and improve the performance top to bottom, it will add more improvement than many source component changes.

Dean's updated and upgraded networks are the shiiiiiiooooootttt!

What happended to the PC board for doing various crossovers that was being tried out here? Didn't Dean have some samples to try?

At the very least, you could replace the caps in your crossovers with better ones.

Marvel

Contact Chris Munson (aka Popbumper) for the PCB boards he is the designer of them. They are very nice by the way he used two of them on the hopped up Academy network that I got from him.

They are a universal type designed to work with many of the PCB based Klipsch networks.

speedball...

I was thinking of a moderate upgrade ( lack of proper funds you know ) I was thinking of a denon 3805 and a crossover upgrade for my klf 20's. The HK I have only has pro logic and no 3 or more channel stereo. So I am just using an old 4 channel pioneer in the house and have put the HK in the garage. Believe it or not I have my KSW 12 sub in the man cave ( garage ) as well.6.gif When I get the proper receiver, I will bring the sub back in.

toodles

Man Rick, you are one sick puppy. Just whatever you do, don't post those pictures I sent you, they're for your personal use only! 9.gif

"What's a 'Dean' Crossover"? Now that is a very good question. Basically, they are whatever you want them to be, and if you don't tell me, they become whatever I want them to be.

Guys,

Don't you just love a guy who knows exactly what he wants and goes for the gusto! 2.gif ...........

"Modified Heresies, Peach Linestage, QSC PLX-1602, Behringer DEQ2496, and a Sony 9000ES. Piecemeal Klipschorns: prepped for ALK Trachorns, K-55-Ms, PD-5VHs, B&K Sound T-35s, Beyma CP25s, modified ALKs, and modified Type As."

Al K.

I will let each speak for themself, if they do on their technical reasoning.

Dean has asked many questions, researched, tried various products that he uses. In photos I have seen of his work, he makes some of the best solder connections that I have ever seen.

Taking nothing away from the others.

Popbumper did get caught at work but I am unsure of why he has not been on from home. Unless a suspension was given or termination. Hot water at home then.

dodger

Guess it's time to come out of hiding.....;>)...

About six weeks ago I posted that I was going to lose my job again. Indeed, the hammer fell, and I was walked to the door. This had NOTHING to do with my being on the Klipsch site during work hours, though I did mention that out here on the forum.

I have been employed now for two weeks as a production manager in a very small cabinet company local to me. For those in the know, I also mentioned that I am heavily involved in the pinball hobby, and this company makes reproduction pinball cabinets, which works out very nicely for me "expertise-wise". It also aligns me to produce speaker cabinets if I wish, since I drive AutoCAD, and we have a wood cutting CNC machine and a full paint booth. Interesting opportunities!

On to crossover updates. Without a web site and any real "exposure", there have been but a handful utilized. To date, Frzninvt has upgraded his Academy, Edward Rex is in mid-Academy evaluation, Chuckears is in mid-Academy evaluation, I just built one for Miguel Aguirre, and I have completed a KLF-C7 network that I am hoping Colterphoto will "test drive".

To conclude, the PCB project IS still alive, and anyone wishing to get involved need only contact me. I have a good stock of bare PCB's, and am capable of building no less than ten different varieties of networks. Should I find the time, I am going to build a web site complete with photos and testimonials, but my job keeps me pretty busy now (unlike the last place I was at).

I do check in from time to time and se that everyone here is still pretty much "keeping the faith". I do miss talking a lot with you guys, but have been concentrating on the job and trying to "get priorities straight". Thanks for asking about me, I hope that I can get more involved in the future.

Chris Munson

Popbumper