Need More Power

----------------

On 5/3/2005 6:21:04 PM AZNracerx1989 wrote:

the rf-7 is long... but not wide... doesn't long and wide make speakers sound better?
----------------

Errr... I think you're thinking of something else...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khorns, Belle's, LaScala's, RF-7's, Cornwalls, KLF-30's, Chorus I or II, Forte I or II. Any of these will do the trick with the proper amplification. I'm running RF-7's + KLF-30's in a 30 x 24 room, pushed by 200 watt adcoms. In the basement, I'm running Forte II's in a 60 x 45 (granted there is no carpeting). Both systems will knock your socks off. Never underestimate the horn loaded speaker, nothing else will result in this type of sound pressure level.

I'm not really sure where to begin...

1- Don't turn any speakers to the max in a store without knowing what you're doing.

2- The RF-7 is plenty big in today's standards.

3- The La Scala may be old school, but it's a proven design.

Maybe a forum member in your area can let you audition his system?

What's your budget anyway?

----------------

On 5/3/2005 6:16:49 PM AZNracerx1989 wrote:

ok im thinking about RF-7's and la scala's... the reason why i dont like rf-7's is because i went in a nearby store.... i turned it to max... it seems like it was distorting all crazy and stuff... doesnt seem quality sound.... maybe thats why it has a horn... or maybe their music just suck haha

----------------

There are a couple of reasons it sounded bad. The first one is that the music might have sucked. Second is that their amplification might have sucked. Third is that their setup in the store might have sucked.

Note that I didn't mention the RF-7... it's because that's the one piece of equipment that is pretty much guaranteed not to suck.

That being said, I think that a pair of Lascalas is probably your best bet, as it's likely that it will handle EXTREME volumes slightly better than an RF-7. For bass reinforcement I think you should get a pair of 15" subwoofers to do the trick.

""I'm not really sure where to begin..." I am ,he is 14 "

Um, assuming you are using his handle to establish age (1989), wouldn't that make him 16...? 4.gif

Meuge is right, there was almost certainly something wrong with the store's setup or electrionics. The Reference series is known (as are most all Klipsch speakers) for being able to go to incredibly high volumes without distorting. The RF-7 does not suck. That being said, let me assure you that La Scalas are fantastic speakers, and since the laws of physics have not altered much in the last decade or two, the age of the design will in no way impinge upon its sound quality. Although I'm a Reference fan myself, there are literally dozens and dozens of members on this board who prefer the sound of the "older" Heritage lines. You will not be dissapointed by them.

Scott

----------------

On 5/4/2005 6:02:26 AM DeanG wrote:

Until you tell us the EXACT size of your listening area, and how far from the speakers you actually sit to do your listening -- all of the advice you're getting is suspect.

----------------

of course we need more information on your setup, but the RF7 are powerfull and i bet there is something wrong in this setup. that can explain he feels the RF miss some power.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 3:02:48 AM ottscay wrote:

""I'm not really sure where to begin..." I am ,he is 14 "

Um, assuming you are using his handle to establish age (1989), wouldn't that make him 16...?

His profile says he's 14...

Brennan and Dean, As I stated, I filled my room very easily with a Pioneer at 50% volume on the knob, not turned all the way up. It sounded fantastic! I did have a big sub, but he is not talking subwoofer at this point, just RF-7. It will easily do the job, especially if he gets 200 watts per channel for a little extra headroom in case he wants to damage his ears. You guys act like the RF-7 is good for an average living room! They will blow your eardrums out in an average living room when cranked up! Since he is wanting very loud volumes, I do recommend a very nice amp, contrary to my usual recommendations. This wil give him the headroom and much less distortion if he tries to really crank it up and damage his ears.....

Now as to turning up a reciever in a store all the way up and having it sound crappy, that was massive clipping among many other things. You all pretty much hit on that right away. 2.gif All in all, you guys know your stuff! 9.gif

I'm pretty much with Brennan on this one. 40' x 40' is pretty big. I'd look at nothing less than a pair of La Scalas and I'd look harder at the Pro Cinema stuff. Then, look for a pair of MCM1900 low bass horns or some big EV Eliminator low bass horns for subs; you can find them used. JBL and Klipsch make twin 18" cinema subwoofers that might be enough as a single, but I'd go with a pair. That will blow your budget, but apparently meet your performance goals.

"Since he is wanting very loud volumes, I do recommend a very nice amp, contrary to my usual recommendations. This wil give him the headroom and much less distortion if he tries to really crank it up and damage his ears....."

Well dctr I'd rather have my headroom and low distortion built into the speakers. A large-format compression driver sounds much smoother and easier than small-format at high levels and needs less power to boot. You ought'a hear a large-format system in a home sometime, it can sound incredibly lifelike. No strain, no shout, the sound is incredibly "easy".

Now that I live in a condo I'm using small-format again but if I wanted to fill a large room and had no constraints on volume I'd go back large-format with no hesitation.

How much do La Scalas cost and where do they sell it?

the room is around 20x20 but with alot of curves and stuff... so it wont sound good everywhere.. but i am only looking to make it sound good in the listening area

another question... Do the Klipsch rf-7's compare to the JBL Northridge E100 by any chance? The Northridge E100 looks much bigger

----------------

On 5/4/2005 5:25:01 PM AZNracerx1989 wrote:

the room is around 20x20 but with alot of curves and stuff... so it wont sound good everywhere.. but i am only looking to make it sound good in the listening area

another question... Do the Klipsch rf-7's compare to the JBL Northridge E100 by any chance? The Northridge E100 looks much bigger

----------------

JBL northridge E100

41.00 inches x 12.13 inches x 14.56 inches

Klipsch RF-7

DIMENSIONS:

Height: 45" (115cm)

Width: 11.6" (29.7cm)

Depth:16" (41cm)

soundwise - NO comparison... the RF-7's are a pair of $2000 speakers that sounds like a $5000 pair of speakers and the JBL E100's are a $1000 pair of speakers that sound like a $700 to $800 pair of speakers...... IMHO

additionally - the JBL's have a sensitivity of only 91 db SPL - 1 watt of power at 1 meter compared to the 102 db SPL of the RF-7's....

you will need about 4 times the power to get the same levels using the E100's compared to the RF-7's

----------------

On 5/4/2005 5:25:01 PM AZNracerx1989 wrote:

----------------

AAAARRRRGH! You just stuck me with a knife! What is our favorite Klipsch saying around here?

IF YOU CAN'T BUY KLIPSCH, DON'T BUY AT ALL!!!

When in doubt, re-read the above until you believe it.

The Northridge series is in direct competition with the Cerwin Vega speakers. The RF-7s are at an entirely different level. Also, the Rf-7 will play louder than the Northridge at anytime and anywhere with little to no distortion. You are talking a Camaro to a Viper in car language. The RF-7s will rock unless you want hearing damage. If you want 105db+ all the time until you are deaf, then I agree with Brennan. Go with the pro-audio or Heritage stuff. For quality, and normal to pretty loud levels, I'd take the RF-7.

Pro-audio is nice stuff too, so check out what Klipsch has to offer.

Remember, IF YOU CAN'T BUY KLIPSCH, DON'T BUY AT ALL!!