Blueberry and VRD's........

Got my first chance to hear this setup over the weekend at Craig's - a long running curiosity to say the least. Thanks to Craig for the look-see - as well as the tube testing and the tour of the shop. So, a mini review of sorts.....

The Blueberry is all that is advertised. This is ONE SWEET SOUNDING PREAMP. No joke. Mark hit a home run with this thing......exactly what a 2 channel Klipscher would want. Clean, clear, liquid....I cannot see how anyone would be unhappy with it.

Preamps with me are like Roseanne Rosannadanna. It's always somethin'. Some are too sweet, some are too detailed, some just aren't a true "conduit" to the signal. Even my preamp isn't all that, but for the price, that is understood. So I purchased what I could live with in sonics and budget (Mac MX-110) and enjoy it greatly - it's close enough for my wallet. But it's nice to get a peek into the "higher class" units and see just what I've been missing.

Generally, I find my 110 does pretty well against most higher dollar preamps....at least not enough dropoff to make me wish I could afford one of the higher dollar preamps. But the Blueberry is another story.

Of course, the Blueberry does the audiophile recordings well, but what impressed me most was what it did with the old classic rock stuff. It imparts no added hash to the signal - just the recording as it was originally made - which is actually quite acceptable. Almost every other pre I've heard adds or subtracts something.......this pre just passes it through as sweet as can be, without adding or subtracting anything. A work of art, really.

And the system could not have shown itself without the assistance of Craig's VRD's - another made-for-Klipscher offering that is tailor made for many here on the forum. I am one of those who is sensitive to tube rectified vs. solid state rectification in power amps - and found the VRD's to be a breath of fresh air in many respects. It would be impossible to comment so favorably on the Blueberry without the help of Craig's VRD's. SWEET POWER is what it's all about here - and adds or subtracts nothing from the Blueberry's wonderful attributes.

Dems DAMN good amps.

If an amplifier's job is to amplify and not add or subtract from what comes out of the pre, these amps do just that. And on current production output tubes, no less - the NOS was left for small tubes here. No extra "hash", no added thunkiness - just clean, pure natural liquid sound. And all on ultralinear, I might add - we spent hardly any time in triode with the VRD's.

So I just wanted to say "nice work, guys", because despite their higher level prices, they are truly values when one considers what you get for the price. A bit out of my league, but most certainly worth the step up in price. Many times in audio, you spend many times more to get the desired additional performance. This kit places that performance within much closer reach. That makes both offerings true accomplishments.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I auditioned the Road Show Blueberry couple of weeks ago, mostly against my MX110. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the MX110 performed. I have about $1100 into my MX110 as it was thoroughly serviced at AudioClassics a couple of years ago. So, price wise, it's getting close to the cost of the Blueberry. It's got a darn good tuner too. The Blueberry is great as it does everything well and seems to just disappear without any fuss.

My full week with the Blueberry "review" is way past due. Hopefully, I'll get that posted tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, I didn't feel that the MX110 was put to any shame. Bottom line, I'll leave the MX110 in place where it is but will hopefully get a Blueberry in a couple of months for my den, which is where I do most of my listening.

Scott, my MX-110 has gone head to head against other much more expensive preamps, and I never thought it was worth the upgrade. That thing hangs in there against MUCH more expensive competition. I really cannot bring myself to sell it in favor of another unit, especially for the savings - even when considering the cost of the rebuild.

The Blueberry is really good though (as is the C22). When the Blueberry price is factored in, however, it becomes very evident that it is MUCH more for the money - especially when you consider it is brand new.

The MX110 comments vs. the Blueberry are appreciated as well.

----------------

On 5/3/2005 8:51:43 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

Got my first chance to hear this setup over the weekend at Craig's - a long running curiosity to say the least. Thanks to Craig for the look-see - as well as the tube testing and the tour of the shop. So, a mini review of sorts.....

The Blueberry is all that is advertised. This is ONE SWEET SOUNDING PREAMP. No joke. Mark hit a home run with this thing......exactly what a 2 channel Klipscher would want. Clean, clear, liquid....I cannot see how anyone would be unhappy with it.

Preamps with me are like Roseanne Rosannadanna. It's always somethin'. Some are too sweet, some are too detailed, some just aren't a true "conduit" to the signal. Even my preamp isn't all that, but for the price, that is understood. So I purchased what I could live with in sonics and budget (Mac MX-110) and enjoy it greatly - it's close enough for my wallet. But it's nice to get a peek into the "higher class" units and see just what I've been missing.

Generally, I find my 110 does pretty well against most higher dollar preamps....at least not enough dropoff to make me wish I could afford one of the higher dollar preamps. But the Blueberry is another story.

Of course, the Blueberry does the audiophile recordings well, but what impressed me most was what it did with the old classic rock stuff. It imparts no added hash to the signal - just the recording as it was originally made - which is actually quite acceptable. Almost every other pre I've heard adds or subtracts something.......this pre just passes it through as sweet as can be, without adding or subtracting anything. A work of art, really.

And the system could not have shown itself without the assistance of Craig's VRD's - another made-for-Klipscher offering that is tailor made for many here on the forum. I am one of those who is sensitive to tube rectified vs. solid state rectification in power amps - and found the VRD's to be a breath of fresh air in many respects. It would be impossible to comment so favorably on the Blueberry without the help of Craig's VRD's. SWEET POWER is what it's all about here - and adds or subtracts nothing from the Blueberry's wonderful attributes.

Dems DAMN good amps.

If an amplifier's job is to amplify and not add or subtract from what comes out of the pre, these amps do just that. And on current production output tubes, no less - the NOS was left for small tubes here. No extra "hash", no added thunkiness - just clean, pure natural liquid sound. And all on ultralinear, I might add - we spent hardly any time in triode with the VRD's.

So I just wanted to say "nice work, guys", because despite their higher level prices, they are truly values when one considers what you get for the price. A bit out of my league, but most certainly worth the step up in price. Many times in audio, you spend many times more to get the desired additional performance. This kit places that performance within much closer reach. That makes both offerings true accomplishments.

----------------

Dave,

I'm truly humbled I was wondering what your true impressions were surprised you didn't mention that I usually do not listen at loud volumes as many think I do around the olde klipsch forum. But after all was said and done and you were ready to leave after we went out for a late lunch I has forgot to to do the absolute concert level sound demonstration so back in the shop we went. We slipped in Elton John Captain fantasic for this ! "Someone saved my life tonight" Great song to show off dynamic extension this song jumps near 30db from its quietest pasages to the slammers. I'll let Dave comment the first words out of his mouth are my absolute favorite :)

----------------

On 5/3/2005 10:16:10 AM Piranha wrote:

I wonder if NOS has ever given anyone the heave ho for overstaying their welcome?
----------------

Thats funny I had a guy here the other day and after he left my wife said "Did you throw him out" I said I know I know but no I didn't. Then she said well if he ever comes back make sure I'm not here becauce I will !! First time I ever had someone here that she ever comments negatively about. This was not a Klipsch forum member by the way. I find the guy pretty funny but it gets old really quick.

Craig

----------------

On 5/3/2005 10:41:41 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

Scott, my MX-110 has gone head to head against other much more expensive preamps, and I never thought it was worth the upgrade. That thing hangs in there against MUCH more expensive competition. I really cannot bring myself to sell it in favor of another unit, especially for the savings - even when considering the cost of the rebuild.

The Blueberry is really good though (as is the C22). When the Blueberry price is factored in, however, it becomes very evident that it is MUCH more for the money - especially when you consider it is brand new.

The MX110 comments vs. the Blueberry are appreciated as well.

----------------

I owned an MX-110 for a while and thought the BB was a significant improvement. Most of my listening was vinyl which may have something to do with it but to me it was night and day. I really liked the 110 but the transparency of the BB just knocked my socks off.

JMHO and YMMV, etc.

Not to make a boring story here, but the first dozen records I played (over and over) through the BB proto were absolute JUNK - old fuddy RCA and Columbia cheapos. When they sounded "scary good" I advanced to better material.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I like the "scary good" description of the Blueberry.

In the small system room that Craig had at the Audio Karma fest; I had my TT hooked up to the BB and VRD.

Speakers were the modest but impressive RB-35 on my lead filled Sanus Steel stands.

I played an average but scratch free Santana instrumental LP called "Blues for El Salvador".

It was just so friendly; the BB made the LP and the Grado Gold cartridge sound like much more high end pressing and cart. Excellent soundstage on a pretty complex percussion section.

Guitar was like Carlos amp was in the room.

I owned an MX-110 for a while and thought the BB was a significant improvement. Most of my listening was vinyl which may have something to do with it but to me it was night and day. I really liked the 110 but the transparency of the BB just knocked my socks off.

Gary, had your MX-110 been updated (e.g. new caps etc..) or was it stock.

Good review Dave. I'm excited all over again, because I've got the Blueberry, but I need to get Craig's VRD. A couple more months, and the VRD's are mine. I just want to purchase one more tube Tuner first. Thinkin Marantz or another MR71.

Anyway, thanks Dave.

Bull!

It ain't perfect because I cannot afford it!

AKA-- Everything I have read about it says that it is one damned fine piece of equipment. I would buy one sight unseen if I had the $$.

That is based not only on the reviews but also on Mark Deneen's history and reputation.

I just bought a Blueberry last weekend. I bought it unheard and unseen, an impulse purchase totally based on the feedback here on the forum. It hopefully will arrive here next week.

The only time I've been this excited about an audio purchase is when I brought my first pair of Klipsch speakers home. A brand new pair of RF-7's!

-PB

Thanks for the great read Audible, now if there was an economy VRD model.10.gif

Those BB's and Peaches are very nice looking and from what you say make for quite a pair when mated to the VRD's.

I have found the MX-110 to be a tuner, are you using it as a pre? or is my info. bad?