Speaker War/JBL takes on Klipsch!

Spkrdctr

Have you guys been into a Best Buy lately? JBL has a speaker system that (with grills on) looks like the Synergys. They are priced about the same too. So far, JBL is the only company that has taken on the Klipsch domination of Best Buys high end speaker line.

I wonder what Klipsch will do to continue to keep JBL at bay? It looks like a good old fashioned speaker war is going on at Best Buy. It would be grat to hear Amy get an official response from Klipsch about protecting their turf at Best Buy. I like old fashioned product wars as the consumer always wins!

----------------

On 5/10/2005 4:03:53 PM Dylanl wrote:

Not with the Synergy line. In my opinion the older JBL ND38II are a better speaker at that price point.

----------------

I owned the Jbl nd310 with the big dual tens in them, and my much smaller synergy sf-2 smoke em. Even my friend who bought the jbls' listened to my synergys and said now that's what i wanted clarity, with low bass without being such a big speaker. The Jbl's tweeters were tizzy , and the bass was lacking and muddy at the same time. Never could get a good image going, and they sounded very boxy. I owned the little bookshelfs that were meant for surround to those big towers, and they didn't sound bad at all with a big sub. But they lack the ability to crank up the volume. I owned an older pair of Jbl's with cast frame woofers they were sweet. Also various other models, and satellite systems. Klipsch has nothing to be worried about that's for sure.

----------------

On 5/10/2005 9:15:06 PM wheelman wrote:

I owned the Jbl nd310 with the big dual tens in them, and my much smaller synergy sf-2 smoke em.

----------------

I agree with this general assessment. However, I'll admit that the Studio series did give the Klipsch Synergy a run for its money. I've always liked the S-312s they used to have at the local Best Buy. But now, especially with the newer Synergy and JBL having dropped the Studio series, there is no comparison. I'll but the new Synergy up against the current JBL line-up that they got at Best Buy. However, the Tweeter store here is getting the JBL Synthesis line in. Now, I'll be very curious to hear that "little" setup as soon as they get it in and setup. Will be curious to see how my Reference 7 setup would compare.

I scored a great deal on some e100's and they looked marvelous(for the dirt cheap price).For sound they could not even replace my rb5s,pretty sad for a big speaker from a big company.They sounded like some cheap sony speakers,not even as good as a $50 klh in my carhole.

I have not been to Worst Buy in 2 years. At that time I did not think the Synergys could compare with the JBLs. Maybe room, cheap amp, whatever, I heard what I did. Once I heard the Ref. series I could never go back to the Synergy or any JBL uless is was in the pro line. Price point in my mind was not a factor anymore (even though I had a budget). I just dropped the dime on the RF7s never looked back.

Since then I have sold the RF7s for Klipschorns and Altec 19s. Now I would never go back to the 7s.

Funny how my ears can changed

Alfredo offered a pair of L300 here for $1500......they were on the forum a few weeks before they finally sold. Cannot believe it took that long.

If JBL stuff of this vintage wasn't so rare and expensive, I would have some of those too. I avoided them not only because of the market prices, but the thought of replacing drivers on the L300/Olympus/Sovereign would have my wallet shaking.

But the VINTAGE JBL (L300/Olympus/Sovereign)? That's the REAL JBL, IMO - that showdown would best most Klipsch....especially the S8R packages with the 375 midrange, then 077 tweeter added. YUM3.gif

As for the current market Synergy vs. the "N" series - I'll take the Klipsch, thank you. The "Studio" series is a much better offering from JBL in a current inexpensive speaker.

----------------

On 5/11/2005 6:58:38 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

I avoided them not only because of the market prices, but the thought of replacing drivers on the L300/Olympus/Sovereign would have my wallet shaking.

----------------

Know what you mean. By the time we got this pair someone had replaced the woofers with Altec 411A's. Still have to replace the surrounds evey ten years or so. Playing the 1812 Overture looks like someone is shooting confetti from a shotgun in the room. They also are set up for bi-amp only with an external X-over form low to mids. On top of that they're now 16ohm.

Are we talking a complete speaker design or speaker components? Because this forum is rife with people very intent on using the JBL 2404H super tweeter in lieu of the tweeter used on the vaunted Khorn. I've read of people using the older JBL D130's for the bass in the Khorn. Pleeze advise???

----------------

On 5/10/2005 10:15:03 PM DeanG wrote:

Your ears didn't "change", you were just brainwashed.
:)
Ah, the power of suggestion.

----------------

Wow, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. All this time I had the sneaky suspicion I was under a spell. Since the hex is now broken I will be selling my Altecs, Khorns and running to BB to get the new Synergy line. Yesss!

Dean, any idea what amp I should get to match?? Maybe a nice warm Yamaha

9.gif