Klipsch product kowledge

robkirby

Thanks for the various comments on Klipschorn placement in my post below.

There was some confusion on available finishes so I called Klipsch again to inquire about this and to ask a few technical questions.

The guy I talked to in tech. service answered the veneer questions and I then asked him about the current drivers and crossover in the AK4.

His reply was that they changed the mid and tweet drivers so the AK4 was developed to integrate with the two new drivers. I found this odd as many on this site have told me that the real reason for the AK4, and real benefit, is that it really cleans up the performance of the bass driver.

Then I asked him who the manufacturer of the mid and tweet drivers were and he told me they were being made ny alneco (his spelling.

His answers made me think he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

My question is: does Klipsch really support these Heritage products and have the in-house knowledge or has that all been lost with the passing of PWK. I can't help but wonder if they're cutting corners in the overall build quality of the cabinets, crossovers, etc.

I don't mind buying a new pair of Klipschorns and ripping the drivers, horns, wiring, out and replacing them but if the cabinet quality isn't there, what's the point.

Does anyone on this site have full drawings of Klipschorns? Maybe I'm better having cabinets built and starting from scratch.

Rob

His reply was that they changed the mid and tweet drivers so the AK4 was developed to integrate with the two new drivers. I found this odd as many on this site have told me that the real reason for the AK4, and real benefit, is that it really cleans up the performance of the bass driver.

Then I asked him who the manufacturer of the mid and tweet drivers were and he told me they were being made ny alneco (his spelling.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I sell custom plastics compounds and I would not tell you what suppliers I use for raw materials. I have customers that buy $ 7 million per year over the past 11 years and I still would not tell them.

I would PM Trey if you have specific non proprieatary questions.

Dean G could comment on build of his new K Horns; he alwyas seemed positive about them.

If you can afford to buy new and like the sound I would worry more about a selecting a competent dealer that would support you in the unlikely event you would need warranty service.

There are many on here who have built their own cabinets, but each Khorn cab has over 50 pieces, many with compound angles. It isn't an easy build. This is why more have built Cornwalls and La Scalas instead. There are various plans floaing around for the Khorn. Darrell (who built his own Jubilee cabinets) has built some.

DeanG has a pair of the new ones, so he can give an answer to the quality of the new ones.

The AK-4 came to be because a couple of years ago Klipsch's supplier for the midrange and tweeter stopped producing them so Klipsch had to re-source the drivers. The new drivers are nice and just as good as drivers used in the past if not better.

Obviously, the driver changes required network changes and updates. It appears that Klipsch decided to make the overall network better while they were at it. The AK-4 is a good network! It looks busy to me, lots of parts but to those that have bought the Khorn's with these networks seem to have nothing but good comments about them.

A couple of people that purchased newer AK-4 Klipschorn's did mention some slight cosmetic QC issues but certainly nothing nothing major to be concerned about.

I don't really know what you are worried about though, if you are that concerned buy a used pair and rework them to your satisfaction. Honestly, you should not be concerned about buying a new pair I am sure that you would be very satisfied with them.

I have talked to the Steve's (Klipsch Tech's) on a number of ocassions and I find them very knowledgeable. If I have an indepth question they take the time to research it and get back to me. I certainly don't get that level of service from other companies!

Now that is another story! The Heritage line certainly does not get the visibility and dedication that the other series get.

I think the Klipsch dealer network needs a MAJOR overhaul, it is horrible. I think that it is silly that people have to drive hundreds of miles to get to see and if they are very lucky hear a pair of Heritage speakers. You would have better luck hearing them in someone's home than at a dealer. Sad state of affairs.

If you are able to come to Rochester, NY:

ROWE PHOTOGRAPHIC VIDEO & AUDIO

1737 Mt. Hope Ave.

Rochester, NY 14620

1-585-442-8230

The three that I have known the longest are (in order of length of time):

John Jones (there are 3 locations, he moves around, usually at this store on Mondays)

Rich: I believe more in evenings

Joel: Days

Other Sales Staff are great, these are who I know.

The store is also our local McIntosh Dealer. There are three locations, so if you want John Jones call the number above and they will tell you where he is that day. He also does Custom Installations.

I've known John 30 years +, Rich 20 years +, Joel 8 years +

They are all familiar with the Heritage Line. Unfortunately none on display, but they WILL gladly order them for you.

Mt. Hope Ave. is also known as route 15, off route 390 - head into the City, they are about a mile on a corner. Next to a Cole Muffler.

In business 100 years. I would recommend them to my own Mother.

The Heritage have to be ordered and there is a lead time, but a better place, better people than I mentioned, I don't think you'll find anywhere. No Pressure, answers, good selection - does this sound like an ad? Well, good places are hard to come by.

I am receiving no discount, compensation or special consideration for what I have written. Only pleasure that if someone goes there they won't get ripped off, lied to, steered to, etc..

If you have any problems PM me.

Win dodger

I'll second Rowe Photographic...very helpful and knowledgable of the products...dodger put me on to John Jones...the mid driver is Atlas/Alnico the tweeter is not and sorry, I don't remember the woofer manufacturer...the AK-4 crossover is completely on the bass bin door, nothing to attach on the top but connecting wires...my upgrade to AK-4 was painless and easy...

Bill

I love my Klipschorns, and I have no issues with the build quality -- which is excellent. The bass cabinet is built with 13-ply birch/hardwood center plywood, and the veneered sections are MDF. Unlike many, I have no problem with MDF, and in fact, this was one of the reasons I went with new, because I wanted the additional mass and density it provides.

The AK-4 is 36db/octave for the tweeter and squawker, and 12db/octave for the LF section with a massive trap. The LF section is now equalized, and what they basically did was pull down the rising response, which brings out the low end more. It's a substantial step up in bass sound quality from what the older networks provide, which sound a little tubby to me. OTOH, the same performance can be gained by using an active EQ.

I consider the top end to be more suited to bigger rooms and or higher power applications. With the AK-4, the Klipschorns just never seemed to open up unless I dumped some juice into them. I enjoy high SPL listening, but don't want to have to experience it everytime I sit in the chair. In my small listening area, I'm having much better listening experiences with first order networks (Type A and John Albright's DHA). Right now I'm listening with some Jensen loaded Type AA's - nice. The King of the Hill however is Al's Extreme Slope Network. I had those in here for about a week compliments of Al, and it was definitely painful boxing them back up to ship back. Extremely clean, extremely spacious, extremely sweet.

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 5/17/2005 8:09:11 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The AK-4 came to be because a couple of years ago Klipsch's supplier for the midrange and tweeter stopped producing them so Klipsch had to re-source the drivers. The new drivers are nice and just as good as drivers used in the past if not better.

Obviously, the driver changes required network changes and updates. It appears that Klipsch decided to make the overall network better while they were at it. The AK-4 is a good network! It looks busy to me, lots of parts but to those that have bought the Khorn's with these networks seem to have nothing but good comments about them.

A couple of people that purchased newer AK-4 Klipschorn's did mention some slight cosmetic QC issues but certainly nothing nothing major to be concerned about.

I don't really know what you are worried about though, if you are that concerned buy a used pair and rework them to your satisfaction. Honestly, you should not be concerned about buying a new pair I am sure that you would be very satisfied with them.

I have talked to the Steve's (Klipsch Tech's) on a number of ocassions and I find them very knowledgeable. If I have an indepth question they take the time to research it and get back to me. I certainly don't get that level of service from other companies!
----------------

This is right...

As for a "good dealer", the sales guys are the only ones that would know that... Techsupport only gets to hear from the ones with problems.

Most dealers keep only the Reference line in stock or on the floor.

Sad, but true.

The guy that techsupport sent you to is J.J. at audio connections. Strange guy, but good to work with. I have gotten product from him.