XM or Sirius?

garymd

My wife already told me what I'm getting for Father's Day but she's leaving it up to me which one it'll be. Either will be great for my commute and both have some pretty snazzy car adaptors.

Who here has one or the other? Any thoughts? Comparisons? I've done some research but I'm hoping some of you can help me out since I've never actually subscribed to either. I'd like to use it both in the car and at home. Rebates galore right now so the timing is right.

Thanks in advance.

My truck came with XM in it when I bought it I like very much, has some good Jazz stations, and Sirius has a contract for Howard Stern and I personally can't stand that @ss. Now XM has Opie and Anthony, which is just as bad, but I guess I just am inclined to go and stay with XM. I like the stations and I like that is stays with wherever you go.

I have XM myself, and love it! My parents has Sirius and they love it!

Personally, I don't think you'd go wrong going either way - much like the DirecTV vs DISH for TV.

I don't know how it is now, but generally, it seemed that if you were primarily interested in music, go XM. If you are interested in talk and sports, go Sirius (if I recall, Sirius has NPR). However, those XM traffic/weather channels are handy for the commute.

What you can do is try the XM Radio free 3-day trial as well as Sirius's free 3-day trial.

Be sure to check out the respective webpages for the two:

XM Radio website

Sirius Radio website

But either way, I love my satellite radio service, and to me, it has been worth every dime that I've paid for the subscription. Just not having to sit through all the banel commercials was worth it right there.

Not sure if it matters to you or not...but only one of the two has NPR. If you want NPR then get that one, Sirius I think...but not sure.

If you don't care about NPR. Go with what others have pointed out as important.

xm has mlb if your into sports..i love being able to catch the cubs on xm when there not on tv..also i like the music that xm offers..i have one in my car and one in my house..cant get enough of the xm..oh when i first went with satellite raido i bought the sirius and just didnt care for the line up they offered.. my mom talked me into it and come to find out she only listens to talk programs on it that is why she likes it so much...

xm is the way to go...9.gif

----------------

On 6/6/2005 5:02:49 PM rplace wrote:

Not sure if it matters to you or not...but only one of the two has NPR. If you want NPR then get that one, Sirius I think...but not sure.

If you don't care about NPR. Go with what others have pointed out as important.

----------------

....NPR and AARP ....Same station.9.gif9.gif9.gif

Well it all on depends what you listen to. I work at best buy so i hear both all the time. I have xm but only because i got great deal on it. But i really like to listen to npr which sirius has. Since they are both about the same monthly now it is a hard decision. But again it's all on what you listen too. Talk go with the sirius, but if you like rock or something either would be a good choice. Hope this helps.

i had xm for almost a year. i didn't use it often becuase the compression of the music varied greatly and annoyed me too much. but xm did have some GREAT music selection and variety. if they ever turn up the sound quality i would renew my subscription.

Guest Anonymous

Sirius has a much higher bandwidth which means it's going to sound better. That was the biggest reason that I went with it. Other pluses include that they have actual people choose the music and they take requests etc. Whereas XM is just a lame computer that chooses the same songs over and over. Having used both extensivly I found that I like my sirius much better. The thing that really really killed me about xm is some of the music stations do have comercials on them and I have never come across that on sirius. Both do advertise on their "talk radio", but not on the music stations, only xm does that as far as I can tell. Lastly there was a time when XM did have comercials on their waves and to me it seems that some day down the road they might go back to that. Anyways, best of luck!

George

Sirius has a lifetime subscription available until June 30, 2005, it costs $ 499.99, but no bill ever again. Also, as a side benefit, you can also stream off the net if you have a subscription, for free. This might be nice for people that sit at a cubicle in front of a computer.

Thanks for all the replies!

Which has better jazz stations???? I'm talking 50s/60s hard bop. Coltrane type of stuff. That'll be the ultimate decision-maker for me. I'm assuming they both have classic rock and classical out the wazoo. Leaning toward sirius right now. Also, any recommendations on a receiver would be helpful. Something easy to bring in from the car and hook up to my tubes. I'm thinking cassette adaptor instead of a permanent mod to my car receiver.