Tube virgin no more - I am in love with my Scott 222C!

rplace

Just a few weeks back I was looking for locations and options for my turntable placement. I was thinking long range I would go with a vintage integrated tube set up but for the time being I needed to make my SS home theater gear work with the TT. In my mind I was targeting the fall/winter to make the leap into tubes. Well that lasted about 3 weeks after the arrival of my TT. I just have no patience.

TigerwoodKhorns came to the rescue with a NOSValves reworked Scott 222C, actually the kit version LK-48 I believe. It arrived on Monday and what a fantastic job TWK did packing up that baby. TWK was great with the whole transaction. Fair price, great communication and superb packing.

Thanks a ton Chris!

I got the Scott hooked up in a sort of temporary fashion last night. Sounded pretty darn good. The first thing I noticed was the stronger, fuller bass over my SS equipment.

Way to go Craig it is N-I-C-E.

I think I got the speakers hooked up correctly. Used the 8 ohm tap. I have searched and read about the 4/8/16 ohm and will stick with 8 for nowbut open to suggestions. I Checked the forum for A=Left and B=Right. Assumed the "0" was for the negative wire is that correct? Sort of curious as to why there are two zeros on each row. If I read them correctly they are 16, 8, 4, 0, and 0 on both A and B channels. Any insight on that?

There were two connections on the back for the turntable. Mag High and Mag Low. I am guessing for high and low output cartridge. Is that correct? I have a high output MM cart, so hooked it up to High.

There was a noticeable buzz and hiss if I turned the volume up beyond 5. I posted a message about where to hook up the ground wire coming off of the TT, but that did not seem to help. This morning I connected the TT to the Mag Low inputs and the hiss/buzz was gone and the volume is a LOT louder at the same place on the dial. I don't need to turn up much beyond 2-3 now. What is the deal with the two inputs and what should I use? Will I hurt anything (amp, speakers, TT) by using one over another?

I really dig the sound. It is so warm, full, rich and deep. And like I said a noticeable improvement on the bass side of things. I Still have a lot of playing to do with Tone/Bass controls; loudness switch; Reverse Stereo??? and the like. Any input or suggestions to get the most out of it greatly appreciated.

I think I might fake an injury or sickness at work so I can go home and listen to all my stuff for the FIRST time again.

I don't like reading these kind of posts! Because now I want some tubes!!!!

Got my hopes up on some Mac MC-30's that Gilbert found locally and the guy wanted tooooo much for the condition that they were in.

Thought Win (dodger) may part with a MC240 - no luck there either.

I guess my time will come at some point. Perhaps a Scott 222, 299 series or Fisher may be a good starting point, are the integrated's tube rectified?

Glad to hear that you are enjoying!

rplace,

You have everything setup perfectly now 99% of the time the low input is the correct input for these Scott amps. If you use the high input what happens is your having to push the amp very hard to get reasonable volume out of the phono section. All Phono sections have some noise if you pump up the volume. You mentioned that you have a high output MM but not what the output is or what cartridge. My bet is its under 5mV but either way usually the low input will work better on these Scott amps with almost all cartridges.

The only reason to try the 4 ohm taps is if you percieve the bass as weak. I always end up at the 8 ohm taps myself with Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Craig

"What is the deal with the two inputs and what should I use? Will I hurt anything (amp, speakers, TT) by using one over another?"

1960 was a different world than that in which we now live. Nowadays a "high output" cartridge is a MM with maybe 5mV and a low is a MC with .3. Back in 1960, a high output cart was a ceramic/piezo tranducer with maybe as much as 20mv and a low output was a MM with 5.

Using the low input plug was the right move.

ENJOY!!!!3.gif

Rick

----------------

On 6/15/2005 10:34:00 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I don't like reading these kind of posts! Because now I want some tubes!!!!

Got my hopes up on some Mac MC-30's that Gilbert found locally and the guy wanted tooooo much for the condition that they were in.

Thought Win (dodger) may part with a MC240 - no luck there either.

I guess my time will come at some point. Perhaps a Scott 222, 299 series or Fisher may be a good starting point, are the integrated's tube rectified?

Glad to hear that you are enjoying!
----------------

Give me a call if your really hurting for a fix. I have something in mind.

Craig

All Phono sections have some noise if you pump up the volume.

+++++++++++++++++++++

1. Making sure the groundwire is clean and secure helps.

2. Basic power filtering helps.

3. A trip back to Craig for a one hour bench test every 1-1.5 years on an amp that is over 40 years old could not hurt either.

I beleive paying for an hour of Craig's time; protects my investment.

My LK-48 is pretty quiet but not silent.

Ampex preamp is dead quiet. Sticking my ear to the grill cloth makes more noise.

When I was running the 299C with my Khorns, I liked the 8ohm tap better for jazz and acoustic music, but preferred the 4ohm for rock and electronic stuff. The 8ohm had a looser, more relaxed bass presentation that I like better for that material, but it tightened up when on the 4. At this point, I don't really recall where I ended up leaving it.

Figured I better beat Fini to the punch on my thread subject line. I am in love with my new Scott ampnot in love with somebody named Scott.

Thanks for the info so far all. What about the two sets of zeros on the speaker wire connections? Reverse Stereo??

Craig. I grew up in MI. Probably planning a trip back this summer. Would a hand delivery of the amp for Audio Flynns suggestion be welcomed? Could you give it the once over in a weeks time give some notice? Id gladly pay 2 hours time based on the sound so far!

----------------

On 6/15/2005 11:13:36 AM rplace wrote:

Figured I better beat Fini to the punch on my thread subject line. I am in love with my new Scott ampnot in love with somebody named Scott.

Thanks for the info so far all. What about the two sets of zeros on the speaker wire connections? Reverse Stereo??

Craig. I grew up in MI. Probably planning a trip back this summer. Would a hand delivery of the amp for Audio Flynns suggestion be welcomed? Could you give it the once over in a weeks time give some notice? Id gladly pay 2 hours time based on the sound so far!
----------------

I could do it while you wait!

You have the speakers connected properly.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 10:42:16 AM NOSValves wrote:

Craig

----------------

Craig, got anything in the way of tube preamps?? I have a Mac C26 and I think it is too noisy.

Thanks

----------------

On 6/15/2005 6:58:01 PM cueman wrote:

----------------

On 6/15/2005 10:42:16 AM NOSValves wrote:

Craig

----------------

Craig, got anything in the way of tube preamps?? I have a Mac C26 and I think it is too noisy.

Thanks

----------------

If Craig doesn't, I have a friend with a rack full of tube amps and preamps, all in good working order, all at reasonable prices (seems he's always asking $250) but I'm guessing most could probably benefit from a good NOSValves rebuild.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get a list of what he currently has on the shelf. I never know what he has until I go visit his shop.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 11:13:36 AM rplace wrote:

----------------

Phew! I was going to ask to be removed from the forum there for a minute.