What internet connection do you use?

kde

I've always heard good things about Roadrunner. I have DSL, which works ok, though it is quite quirky for me (my modem is THE FIRST USB modem offered). Most other people don't experience the strange problems I do... As a general rule, cable is faster (and most often cheaper).

I have "B-A-S-I-C" telephone service with SBC. With this plan I am permitted to make 25 outgoing calls each month for free. Every call after that costs 25 cents regardless of the length of the call. I signed up for this in 1990. I don't think they offer it anymore, but if you already have it, you get to keep it. All incoming calls are free. Long distance with SBC at 4 cents per minute. Average cost per month for telephone service equals $8.

No cell phone, if I'm not at home, leave a message on my machine. Don't bother me when I'm driving, fishing, bicycling, camping, etc. If I need to make a call when I'm away from home, I can use a pay phone with a land line. No hassle with bad reception, dialing plans, or recharging batteries for me.

Internet service via 56k modem on the aforementioned telephone line with "Everyone's Internet" for $10.83 per month after taxes. Free spam and virus filtering that works perfectly! I N-E-V-E-R receive any obnoxious solicitations. I don't use the internet for downloading music. I prefer vinyl.

My 29 year old television receives reception via a roof top antenna. I have been a "Nielsen Family" twice. I was surprised after the 1st time that I would be invited to participate a 2nd time. But they need input to rate what people are not interested in watching just as much. Since I actually have had to keep a diary of my tv viewing habit for Nielsen, I know that I typically watch less than 2 hours per week. Every Sunday I look at the free tv guide in the newspaper to see if anything looks interesting. I go for days and days without turning it on at all.

So, let's see, my total expenses each month for telephone, internet and cable adds up to $18.83. Not too bad, heh?

we have Roadrunner and love it. The speed (can watch movies as you down load them). It is always on, just click IE icon on desktop (no waiting to connect). And we pay $30.00 per month. It is one of the few things we send payment out each month for, that we don't mind.

I use Charter cable and am very happy. I have had 2 outages - one after a storm when the cable got cut and once when they added a new subscriber to my neighborhood hub and dropped the level too low to receive - but the real problem was an RF splitter installed backwards-it was attenuating the signal too much. My problem is I don't have or want a home phone, so when it is down I can't get to klipsch.com

FYI: looking ahead there could be a speed or a price war between the cablecos and telcos. Digital cable will win in a speed war, but hopefully the prices will fall and we will win. Also, on digital cable systems they are starting to not send unwatched channels out to a neighborhood hub and use the new bandwidth for data (internet access).