svs experts wanted

Foost

Ok, here it is. I'm getting real close to a subwoofer decision. I've done my research, and heard every sub I can. Problem is, I think i want a 25-31cs with the samson s700. This leaves me with 3 issues as i see it:

1. I have no way to actually hear the sub before i buy it. I have heard from everyone here that the svs is the coc* of the walk and there is no better for the money. Is there anyone in the boston (or maine) area that has one? That would just make me feel much better.

2. Am i going to regret not having the 20-25hz range? I have rf3's, rc3, and sf1's. I know i am sacrificing volume if i go with the 20-39, but c'mon, do i really need those last few db's?

3. I am a poor college student and these subs are expensive. Tom at svs told me i could pickup a cheap stereo receiver at best buy to power a cs for now. Do you really think so? That, to me, sounds questionable at best. First and foremost I want this sub to kick serious a@#. Is svs the best way to go in the $700-800 price range?

Well there it is. I hope you guys can help. Thanks again.

Foost

This message has been edited by Foost on 09-10-2001 at 11:11 PM

Hi Foost,

I can't help you with the SVS info, but I can direct you to a very knowledgable site - www.hometheaterforum.com - in the event you don't get any feedback here. That seems to be *the* place for SVS discussion.

Tom at svs told me i could pickup a cheap stereo receiver at best buy to power a cs for now. Do you really think so?

From what I've read and heard... if Tom says it, it's honest.

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

With a 45 day money back guarantee you can't go wrong with a SVS sub. But I'm sure you won't be using that service. Price/performancs SVS can't be beat!!!

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Ross is right on the money with his comment about Tom. I've been following the numerous user reviews over at www.hometheaterforum.com and Tom is always extremely helpful and honest. I've read of many instances of people using cheap receivers to power a CS until they could afford the Sampson amp. I believe that all of them had great success.

I'm hoping to re-order my 20-39PC very soon. I ordered one back in the spring but my finances suddenly dried up when my wife and I decided the time was right to buy a house. Now that we're moved in and my wallet is starting to recover I have my sights on the sub again.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

I've got nothing but positive things to say about SVS, and that goes for Tom and Ron as well. Before buying my SVS 20-39CS w/Samson S700, I must have sent 30 Emails to these guys and every one of them were answered the same day. Try that with another Sub company (Klipsch included). The other thing I liked about these guys is they didn't put any other Subs down. They talked about the strengths of each Sub (as well as their weaknesses) when comparing them to their own.

Tom has to be one of the most knowledgable Sub people on the planet! He knew exactly what would work for me based on room dimensions, other equipment, speaker placement, etc. Send them an Email. You won't be disappointed...

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Chorus (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (rears)

Klipsch RS-3's (rear surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

Foost,

Here's some cost information that may help in your decision to buy an SVS Sub. Your can get an SVS20-39cs delivered for $449.00. Below I've also identified a web link to Humbucker Music which has the Sampson S700 Power Amp for $339.00, not sure what shipment cost would be to you for 31 lb. amp. SVS cost for the S700 is $399.00 shipment included. You could also consider buying a used power amp that meets the 4 ohms requirements for the SVS Sub. Hope this helpsWes

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/1352.html

Exceptionally rugged and reliable, the S700 fits seamlessly into a variety of sound reinforcement applications and fixed installations. It is capable of producing 350 watts a side and 700 watts (mono bridged) from a compact rack-mountable format. Endowed with comprehensive control capability and protection features, the S700 includes extensive features and stable performance over the long haul.

Features:

Stereo power amp for live sound and system installation use

Produces 350 watts a side into 4 ohms (stereo mode) and 700 watts into 8 ohms (bridged mono mode)

Two temperature-sensitive, speed-controlled fans

Stable bipolar design

Front panel input level controls with 42 detents and 3-segment output LED meters

Relay-controlled outputs linked to the protection LEDs

Banana jack outputs with Speakon connectors

XLR and locking TRS inputs

Parallel outputs allows several amps to be linked together

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-13-2001 at 07:19 PM

1)i used a $79 KLH receiver from bestbuy on a pair of 25-31cs a while back. It really works well...honest and for true Smile.gif

2) we changed the pricing structure at SVS recently...shipping is no longer included in the prices. Now you only pay for actual shipping costs...so it usually works out to be less expensive for everyone.(the west coast is a little more at times).

I think the price for a single 20-39cs/S700 is $799, so you'd have to get the amp for $350 to match us. That's certainly doable of course...you just have to decide if the $11(in this case) would be worth ordering the amp seperately.

TV

Thanks everyone. I am yet to be disappointed on this BB.

Tom, thank you for your reply. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe you on the cheap amp thing, I just feel better hearing it from a lot of people.

I do have another question. I know the samson says it can be bridged into 700 watts, but could the 20-39 handle that? Knowing that I wouldn't be wasting 50% of a $400 amp. In my perfect world, I could use the s700 bridged initially, then, when the money is available, pick up a solid mono amp and use the s700 for the mains. Any input here?

Andy

Foost,

I don't think you can do that. The S700 manual says that "Bridged" mode is to be used ONLY when the S700 is connected to an 8 ohm speaker load. Use of Bridged mode with speaker loads of 4 ohms or less can result in severe damage to the unit due to excessive heat and current limiting and will void your warranty! I believe the SVS subs are 4 ohm speakers.

I too am only using one 20-39CS but that's all I could afford at the time. When the time comes, I will order the second sub...

Mike

Right, you DON'T want to bridge a *S* Samson into a single CS. Even assuming the amp handled it ok...you gain zero performance wise...so it's not worth considering. 350w into any of the CS subs is PLENTY.

Tom Nousaine measured the 20-39cs with the OLD fidek 600w amp hitting 105.8dB/25hz and averaging 109.5dB from 25-63hz(that's clean output measured a t a 2m distance in a huge 7500 cu-ft room. For comparison sake...the $2500 HGS15 hit 103.1dB/25hz and 107.7 from 25-63hz. I think the VEL uses like a 3000 peak amp or something?

TV

I went to Goodwins High End today. For those of you who don't know, Goodwins is one of the finest Home audio dealers in the country. Honestly, I can't afford a thing they sell, but they do know quality stuff. We're talking Martin-Logan, Dunlavy, Dynaudio, Avalon Acoustics, REL, Audio Physic, Kharma and Totem. Now don't get me wrong, I love my klipsch and I'm not going to be buying anything else anytime soon, but this stuff is awesome. While this place doesn't sell any klipsch, it is by far the best audio store I have ever been in. Today for instance, I wrang the buzzer to get in (security measure) and was greeted by Al, one of the systems designers. He told me they were closed but he would be happy to answer any questions. I asked him about the SV Subwoofers. Sadly, he had never heard of the SVS line or the Samson amps. And no, they didn't have any subs in stock for the price range i was looking for (many were over $10K!!). I was informed that Dynaudio does make a sub in my range, but they didn't have any in the store. After that he asked my girlfriend and I if we had ever been in the shop. I had, she hadn't. So he took us for a little tour that ended up in their premier listening room. (see their website.) We chose whatever cd's we wanted and he left us to listen to and basically play with a pair of Kharma Exquisite speakers costing over $60k, not to metion the Audio Research and Boulder electronics. Anyway, after that we just walked around to the different showrooms (this place is more like an office building than an audio store).

Anyway, we talked subs for a little while after and I told Al about some of the numbers the 20-39 could put up. He cautioned me that those types of numbers can often come from a sub that lacks musical quality and detail. Ofcourse, not having heard the subs before, I didn't have much to add here. He was curious about the SVS and I told him about the website.

So heer it is. I have decided to get a 20-39 with the samson amp (as soon as i get a few more paychecks). When I do, I am going to take my new toys into Goodwins, set them up with any pair of speakers I want, and see what some of the best in the business think about the SVS. Tom, I hope you are reading this. This will be a very tough challenge, but from what I have heard, I think my new sub will do fine. I know that it doesn't matter what these guys think, and if I really do like the sub it isn't going anywhere no matter what anyone else says, but it will be interesting to see if it can keep up with some of the best speakers in the world, not to metion the best of what Carver and REL have to offer.

p.s. I am going back to Goodwins on wednesday to listen to the Martin-Logan Statement speakers

Oh, they have also sold two pairs of k-horns there that were trade-ins. The last pair was in "decent shape physically" and went for $1,200! Now that's a deal!

http://www.goodwinshighend.com

This message has been edited by Foost on 09-17-2001 at 04:48 PM

>>>Anyway, we talked subs for a little while after and I told Al about some of the numbers the 20-39 could put up. He cautioned me that those types of numbers can often come from a sub that lacks musical quality and detail.<<<

Ask him for specific examples. the *highend* often frowns upon objective performance verification in many fields...subwoofers included. They don't want any piece of measuring gear intruding on their golden ears.(or the huge profit margins that often go hand-hand)

>>>Ofcourse, not having heard the subs before, I didn't have much to add here. He was curious about the SVS and I told him about the website.<<<

I'd ask him to order one of our dual CS_U/S1000 combos. Even if he just kept it 44 days and returned it...the shipping cost to him would probably be less then buying lunch for his crew one day.Of course there's nothing to be gained in his view...as the LAST thing he would want is a $2295 package handily outgunning his $10,000+ woofs.

>>>So heer it is. I have decided to get a 20-39 with the samson amp (as soon as i get a few more paychecks). When I do, I am going to take my new toys into Goodwins, set them up with any pair of speakers I want, and see what some of the best in the business think about the SVS. Tom, I hope you are reading this. This will be a very tough challenge, but from what I have heard, I think my new sub will do fine. I know that it doesn't matter what these guys think, and if I really do like the sub it isn't going anywhere no matter what anyone else says, but it will be interesting to see if it can keep up with some of the best speakers in the world, not to metion the best of what Carver and REL have to offer.<<<

I'd rather see this guy foot the bill myself. How about this...if he agrees to keep the CS_U package(twin CS_U/S1000 in his primary demo room for 30 days...I'll personally split the shipping costs with him(if he chooses to return the units). Of course,I'd need you to stop in and make sure he has the CS_U/S1000 optimally placed and calibrated for meSmile.gif

If he'd be interested...just have him email me at techsupport,

TV

• 2 weeks later...

that's also my question.

i am consideraing the 20-39CS or PS with samon.

the power sub is more convient for me to connect.

sorry for my limit konwledge on that.

how to connect the CS and samon if i want to keep my KSW-12 with my surround RS-3.

does 20-39PS match my system,or other model from SVS

my room is around 30 MM

RB-5

RC-3

RS-3

KSW-12

thanks

I'll be getting a 25-31PC shortly, just a matter of getting the $$$ together to do it.

For me, the PC is a better option since it is all self contained. I really am trying to have as few components as possible to keep the equipment rack clean.

If anyone in southern Maine, NH, or nothern MA has a SVS, I'd love to make the trip to hear it.

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

The *CS* versions have a 1-3dB headroom advantage over the PC version. And since the pricing on DUAL CS/S700s are much less than dual PCs would cost...going with a single CS/S700 is definitely the way to go if there's any chance you'll be adding a second woof in the future. If you're sure you'll be using a single subwoofer for quite a while, the PC is really the best route to take in most cases.

TV

1)we dont have to compromise the enclosure to mount the amp.

2)the S700 has almost 2x the amp power

The PCs kick butt, but unless you need a specific feature on them(auto-on,speaker level inputs,ect)...I tend to recommend the CS and CS_U series most often.I just think they represent a little better cost/performance ratio...esp if you're considering dual woofin'

TV