Inside new Heresy II

That "Foam" in the woofer basket thread got the best of me so when I was attaching new grills to my HII's I had to pull out the sqwauker and look inside. The foam in mine is definitely in the "U" shape laid in underneath and around the sides of the woofer. These were made in the spring of 2005.

I've also included a picture of the crossover for you crossover nuts. No yellow OR white caps so they must not be that good1.gif

HIIFoam2.jpg

HIIFoam.jpg

HIIX.jpg

Yes the current HeresyII has plywood MOTORBOARD, but the veneered panels are MDF. Can you imagine trying to secure a driver with wood screws or bolts to 3/4" MDF motorboard that has been routed to half its thickness to accomodate front-mounting of the horn/woofer flanges? Not exactly the BEST way to go, so plywood is the motorboard medium.

Man, that x-over not only dwarfs the original, but really sucks up real estate in the cab. Sure it makes a BIG difference in sound. I am anxious to do my Corns yet, and I also am going to tweak my Academy further using air cores as opposed to iron cores, and a litz wire coil on the tweeter. While I am EXCEEDINGLY happy with the current crossovers I built, IF I can squeeze even one more ounce of performance out of my speaker, I'm willing to pony up and try it...

...it is expensive to play, though....many thanks to the other "nuts" who sent me down this slippery slope....

9.gif

Chris

Stay with the HF inductors you're using because the Litz inductors will radically change the Q of the circuit. I tried it with my RF-7s and it was awful. I had to use a crowbar to separate the horns from my ears. Have you figured out what size air core you have to go with to match the DCR of the steel laminate you're using right now? It's going to be huge, which might work against you if it gets too close to any of the driver magnets. As for the Cornwall, you might consider a better circuit.

Dean:

For "experimentation", I already purchased some Erse "super Q" perfect lay units; the 1mH coil is 3" in diameter, the 2mH coil is 3.375" in diameter. These are large but no so large that they won't fit my boards.

Thanks for the call on the litz coils - my only impetus for trying one was Al's Cornwall networks, where they are used on the high end. I understand you build his Corn networks, are you using the litz coils in those as he recommends? Or others? Thanks!

Chris

----------------

On 7/2/2005 5:54:30 AM pauln wrote:

But did anyone notice the straight horn tweets?
----------------

As opposed to what? I can take another picture for you all if you want. I can't see the tweets on my Hersey I's since the grills don't come off(and I've never had reason to pull them out from the back. How are these straight tweets different?

Those tweeter horns are exactly like the ones on my HII cabinets. They are not EV horns. The mid driver on the HII has a smaller VC than the one on the H. This also means that the mid driver wouldn't go as low as the Cornwall/Belle/LaScalla/KHorn. Probably means it isn't going to be quite the same timbre as the older models.

The tweeter also goes higher I believe. Could partly be the driver and partly the horn.

I understand you build his Corn networks, are you using the litz coils in those as he recommends? Or others? Thanks!

I use Litz inductors, if I don't, he'll fire me. :) The ALKs, as well as the two he designed for me were modeled out using his filter software. Al will tell you that the loss factor between Litz and standard air cores is substantial. The extremely low loss attribute of Litz is a factor in those designs, and in order for those networks to perform as the models -- Litz inductors have to be used. Be aware that in HF circuits, DCR is not the dominant spec like it is in LF circuits. What dominates at the higher frequencies is the Q of the inductor. When rebuilding networks using standard air cores in the HF section, stay with standard air cores -- and stay as close to the original wire size as possible. This is why I typically don't mess with them in the older networks.