Its 5:50 am - been awake for 3 hours.....

maxg

Too hot....just too damn hot.....showered 3 times since I got in from work at about 7 last night.....air con bust.

Cant even sit in the leather chair to listen to music. Actually cant play musc cos aint noone in here sleepin well tonight.

So what do I do? I log in - and read Fini's post about being stuck at home with his daughters......

Not that hot really I suppose. Ah sleep's overrated.

Like Warren Zevon said:

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

I hope he's resting peacefully.

Go to the grocery store. They're usually pretty cool. Take a stroll down the ice cream isle.

Its been bloody hot here too. I don't know what I'd do without the AC. Its been running almost non-stop for days now. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Thanks Guys - that's 2 things we dont readily have in Greece that everyone has in the US:

1. Swimming Pools.

2. All night grocery stores.

Its not like pools are unknown - just comparitively uncommon.

Its all showers and ice coffee here.

According to my calculations it is 90 degrees farenheit (32 centigrade) - and its is 6 am!

Gonna be a scorcher today - think I'll spend the day in the car!

• Moderators

Well now, there's a misconception. I don't know anybody personally who has their own swimming pool. Community pools, sure, but no one with one in the backyard. A lot of neighborhood associations, at least here, don't even allow you to have one.

I got a pool, but frankly, it's a PITA. Too much work. If it didn't come with the house, we would not have one. Wife loves it though.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 10:17:57 PM Amy Unger wrote:

Well now, there's a misconception. I don't know anybody personally who has their own swimming pool. Community pools, sure, but no one with one in the backyard. A lot of neighborhood associations, at least here, don't even allow you to have one.

----------------

Yeah, my window shakers have been running pretty much non-stop for several weeks now. Old house, hot water heat-no sense in paying to have central installed. It makes it silly to fire up the stereo when the noise floor is so high, so I look forward to nights below 70. We've had a mess of days above 90 here, and I don't think we've had more than a few over the last 4 years or so...

I'm a bit glad I've got a soul-sucking, centrally-cooled retail job.

Well, I guess I certainly can't complain about the heat here in Alaska! When it gets up in the 70's we all complain how hot it is!! Ha ha..and actually, the winters here in southeast AK usually stay in the 20s-low 30s. So we're pretty fortunate.

There is that rain though......

So its just California where they all have pools then.

Temperature now a lot higher - dont know how much - a lot. Air-con in the car and now the office has saved my ***.

All I got to do now is stay awake in work.

Max,

more than 30C degrees at night - indoors?....yep, too hot even for me. Whenever I go south here in Europe (sounds good, doesn't it? - but it happens far too seldom 14.gif ) I am surprised how few privately owned flat seem to be air conditioned. Sure, from an environmental aspect that has it's advantages, but if one is expected to work as concentratedly/productively as in winter, it's just pretty.....let's call it old-fashioned.

BTW: we are having summery weather too, but being north of the Alps still means not more than upper 20's© in the day...and it still cools off at night. But I certainly miss.....the sea 3.gif .

Wolfram

Max,

The pools are more prevelant in the southern part of the country. I have lots of friend that have pools at there houses here in Houston. In the south inground pools are what to have and the further north you go they have the above ground ones more. I dont like the above ground pools cause they warm up to much when the temp skyrockets. Its like getting in bath water, yuk 14.gif , just not refreshing.

Steve

I dunno, I have 6 person hot tub with 500 gals of water, it's only 8'x8', and the water's great! I consider it a 'training' pool for the day when I can afford the real thing. This was about $6,000 US, not cheap, but then I was able to move it when I moved from farm to city. It's about 4 steps outside the back porch door.

LOTS of people around here have them. They're also great in the winter time, I heat it up to about 103 then!

Michael

That sounds hot Max. I know what it is like. I spent 9 months on Curacao, most of the time in a house without AC. Some periods, the scorching heat was not the main problem, but the mosquitos 14.gif . One night I got up in the middle of the night, looked in the bathroom mirror and thought I saw the Toxic Avenger. Tonight, my good friends from San Diego come over to remind me of my time in the Californian desert, In daytime the heat made me halucinate, at night I just prayed for the sun to come back up again (froze my ykw off). When I look outside now it's boring grey. 7.gif

I think I need another cup of coffee now! 2.gif Tim.