Its 5:50 am - been awake for 3 hours.....

maxg

----------------

On 7/13/2005 5:08:54 AM mdeneen wrote:

"Ahhhh Coastal California."

=========

As Allen said, it's a real PEACH! We're having a heat wave here and it's 72F at noon, 62F by 9pm. Normally 68F during the day.

mdeneen

----------------

Not a blueberry then?

Athens is a total pig in July / August. Temperatures actually get so high they lie on TV about it. You will never see a weather forecast on Greek TV refer to a temperature higher than 40C (104F) - but dont you believe it.

Couple of years ago my car's thermometer read 44 parked in the shade (111F) - although that is the highest I have ever seen here.

Course if you really want hot - try the Dead Sea at about 2 pm. We fried an egg on the hood of an army jeep there - in the sun of course. Would guess 60C.

I want a pool so bad but mostly just to watch sunlight do things to pretty girls 11.gif

I know I shouldn't say it but arkansas hasn't been too bad/hot yet but it is only July. For those of us in the southern U.S. I have a great idea! If we are going to have the climate of mars than we should dress appropriately with air conditioned suits with portable klipsch systems built in 9.gif patent worthy I think.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 12:40:45 AM cyclonecj wrote:

Here in the bay area it has been hitting 100deg.... so I have been spending time in my Olympic sized pool.....

o-pool.jpg

OK.. so it's at my school, but I have the keys!

----------------

That is one freaking tall high dive!!

The last two days I have been tearing off the evestrough, facia board and putting up 1/4" metal screen to help keep out the squirrels who want to use my attic as a home. A nice big nest upstairs. It wouldn't be that bad a job, except for the fact that it is 34 -35 (94 F) celcius with a humidex of 40 (104 F). Yes, I do live in Toronto, Canada and it does get this hot in the summer. The air quality index also is not good, 50+. Needless to say, I am drinking about 2 1/2 to 3 liters of water while I am outside.

Thank goodness I have air conditioning, it has been going strong since the third week of June. At least I can sleep at night. No pool to cool off in, just the cold shower. Although my neighbour has one of those blow up pools, 18' diameter, 48" deep for less than $400 Cdn. It seems pretty affordable.

About every other house in my neighborhood has a pool. Our next door neighbors let us use theirs any time we want which is why we decided against building one. Also, my brother has one and he lives 5 minutes away.

Any neighborhood in my area with 1/2 acre lots or larger has a high concentration of swimming pools. We usually get about a week of spring weather before summer hits and hits hard. This year was an exception. We actually had about a month of spring weather!

Speedball, I have the same setup but have been using A/C, could have something to do with the 2" of insulation in the attic. I've been here a year and keep meaning to blow another foot or so in, but want to get all the stereo wiring right first.

Is your home the cut Bedford limestone? Mine is 100% and I love the look. It also cuts down on traffic noise. ANy tricks to using the attic fan? I usually just open a couple of windows on opposite ends of the house plus a basement window so air has to flow all the way through the house to cool things off. Doesn't help much when it gets humid though.

Max, don't know about Greece, but here in midwest USA, it get 100% humidity with temps in 90's. The humidity KILLS you! It's like opening your front door and walking into warm jell-o! The only city worse than Indy that I've witnessed is St. Louis, clearly the armpit of America (apologies to residents of that city)

Michael

----------------

On 7/13/2005 1:15:11 AM maxg wrote:

So its just California where they all have pools then.

Nope. Expected high 106F/41C today.

Like gullah said -- at least it's a dry heat. Yeah, that expression is kind of like finding the silver lining in getting a nail stuck in your foot.

"At least it's a sharp nail!"

Hey Colter,....1.gif

When the sun goes down its time to close down all the windows except at one end of the house and the fan will pull the cool evening air through for sure.

The limestone all around are different size rectangles with 4 smooth sides and a rough face. Adding extra insulation sounds like a good idea, been thinking about doing that here.

Gullah,

I would love "dry" heat for a change....humidity to me drains the energy right out of a person. Maybe we should all move out to the coast.3.gif

• Moderators

Try new orleans or the gulf coast in july or aug, it is under 100 deg but the humidity is always very high, if you work outside you must take a break about 10 min out of 20 and drink all the water you can stand.

I have to the south west where it was over 100 every day and it diden't feel this bad.

• Moderators

It does get quite humid here, but the worst I've ever felt has got to be St Pete Florida in August. Just walking 30ft from the car into an air conditioned building was like being under water. I don't know how people live there, especially if they don't have air conditioning.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 10:16:29 AM gullahisland wrote:

FIVE DAY FORECAST

103/65 Today

103/69 Thu

104/69 Fri

102/68 Sat

102/70 Sun

"At least it's a dry heat!" Whomever coined that phrase should be shot!
----------------

I wish it was that cool here! We are expecting 115 degrees, and the real beauty is that the temp is taken in the shade.

We have a pool, but interestingly enough, we don't go in if it gets below 95 outside because it feels so cold when the wind blows if you are wet. We use solar covers and out hot tub gets to 111 (we have to removbe the cover and let it cool off before getting in) and the pool gets to 100 degrees with the cover.

When we bought the house, we eliminated a bunch of the grass to keep the water bills at about $200 in the summer. We have 1/2 acre and the previous owner was paying $350 plus for water. My brother has 3/4 acre and is paying $550 for water.

Welcome to the desert! If your ac goes out here, you have to go stay with friends or go to a hotel.

When it "rains" in the summer, if it is not a hard rain, you can look across the valley and see the rain come to within about 200 feet of the ground, then evaporate. The water does not touch the ground. I couldn't believe it the first time it saw it.

To tell you the truth, I think that we are crazy to stay here.

Chris

Chris,

The price of those water bills are shocking 6.gif

Water evaporating like that must be something to see.

Tom,

I too have been off work about that long with a back problem and now I'm trying to figure out how to get back in the groove.

Being able to hear the music through my Klipsches has been, and is my escape.1.gif

----------------

On 7/12/2005 9:52:34 PM maxg wrote:

Too hot....just too damn hot.

----------------

Greetings,

I sympathize completely... There has been a stretch of hot, humid weather here in Chicago that's been pretty sweltering for this time of year -- of course, just in time to see my air conditioner on its last legs.

Tonight, however, I came back from the studio to be greeted by my just-today-installed new air conditioner. Oh, Lord have mercy is this ever beautiful!!! 3.gif

Take care (and stay cool),

Scott

OK, just had to add this. It is 115 in the shade out here during the day right now. The wife and I went shopping last night at 8:00. WHile she was in a store I decided to take a stroll down the strip mall to Rat Shak to get some more fast blow fuses for my ALK's (really glad these things have fuses!).

It was still way over 100 and just miserable on the walk. The wind feels like a hair dryer blowing on you, really hot and dry. When we got home, we decided to take an evening dip in the pool. We took the solar cover off and I jumped right in. It was liek jumping into a hot tub oover your head. The entire pool was about 104 degrees. We have hgad teh solar off for and my wife is in there right now (about 115 outside again). She says it is hot in the pool but you can go in.

Strange place we live in (I have been here for 15 years). You go outside and nobody is out. We won't even go tot he movies because it is so hot in teh car before it cools.

Oh well, I'm off to go jump into a hot pool (I hope teh water temp is mid 90's).

Chris