If there could be only one�

rplace

...one pair that is.

This ought to stir up a hornets nest. If you could only have one set of Klipsch speakers for life what would they be?

Now the rules:

You have to factor in cost when purchased new today or when they were new if out of production.

You are going to be stuck with these for life. Future changes in life might not give you corners or other room problems to deal with like a small one room apartment when you life falls apart or heaven forbid a non-understanding significant other.

You have to drag them around for the rest of your life. i.e. size and weight should be a consideration. Like the mythological guy who had to push the bolder up the hill for eternity.

You have actually had to have listened to the speakers you nominate.

Here are my top three

1. Forte II - A clear winner in my mind. For the size, price, performance they just cant be beat.

2. Chorus and Heresy - (both original versions) This is a tie that I cannot break. Heresies have the advantage of being super portable while the more bulky Chorus edges the Heresy out in sound. Dont make me pick one over the other.

3. KG4 Yes they beat out the Conwall and Khorn due to size to sound ratio not on sound alone.

I wanted to cheat and put the khorns in the listbut just could not do it.

----------------

On 7/21/2005 10:14:54 AM Olorin wrote:

Can I have a sub?

----------------

Hmmm, good question. Ok I'll bend the rules a bit. One sub and one speaker to make your pair. That pretty much says no sub, right?

-----------

"..Can I have a sub?.."

-----------

Yea. If I can have a great sub as well I'd be really tempted to pick a Pair of ___________ but that, "..You have actually had to have listened to the speakers you nominate.." thing is a ****** as it limits my options quite severly . . .

Rich,

Pretty much. Okay then --

1) Fortes (original). Excellent balance and there is nothing they don't do well. They are also fairly easy to place, can go in a smallish room without getting too constricted but can also fill a large space. They rock like there is no tomorrow. You can hurt yourself with these things.

2) Chorus II. Almost everything the Forte can do, just a little more of it. A little smoother than the original Forte, not quite as deep in the bass, but still excellent balance. Their larger size and weight take a bit of a penalty, and smaller rooms can choke them. I like the sound a little better, but I have to give the nod to the Forte for its flexibility.

3) Tough choice between the Quartet and the Heresy. The Quartet is really just a smaller Chorus II in almost all respects. Smoother and more polite than the Heresy, but I don't think it can quite kick your *** with a snare drum the way the Heresy can. Much better bass than the Heresys, though, and in the end I think the Quartet is an easier speaker to listen to. A little less demanding of front-end equipment as well. Quartet it is.

Drag LaScala? Man you must be pretty strong to push them up the hill for all of eternity. If I had to do that all day I guess I would pick a Bellenicer to look at, slightly less bulk. They do sound pretty darn good.

Frzn Same comment on a slightly smaller scale. While I have never heard a vertical CW. They are pretty big for the bathroom sized Manhattan apartment or dorm room.

O Never heard the Quartet but with a description as a smaller C II I which I had heard them to compare to a Heresy. Sounds like they would for sure best my #3 pick.

It's a tough choice but cornwalls win IMO. I prefer my Khorns for the most part but the cornwalls are a better all-around speaker as far as placement issues and rooms that are less then perfect. Plenty of tight, punchy bass and they sound good with any type of music. Yes they are big, but I've had them in some pretty small rooms (when in college) and they still sounded amazing. Also, 2 people can easily drag them around.

BTW Rich - KG4s do not compare to cornwalls! I've now heard both in my family room, side by side and while the KG4s sounded great for their size and price, they don't come close to the sound of the corns. Sorry dude!

Hmmmm. If I was going to be true to my word they would have to be the Synergy system's KSB-3.1's. When I purchased those 6 years ago (along with the rest of the 5.1 setup) I told my salesperson that THESE will be the last speakers that I will ever own. I heard them again at my brothers house and they are still Impressive.2.gif

GMD You got it all wrong. I do like the Corns (especially your z-wood) and the KG4s _dont_ sound better but price/size/etc. all things considered they had to make my list. No small part that they were the first Klipsch speakers I ever owned.

Ben I wish you a long happy life filled with perfect corners

TDK At least you kept them in the family. Check out my signature. I have those same speakers today. They are darn nice, surely meet the easy to move requirement.

----------------

On 7/21/2005 12:40:12 PM garymd wrote:

Rich, Rich, Rich........

OK, you keep the KG4s and I'll schlep around the cornwalls. When we're 80, you'll be begging to come over and listen to Horace Silver on my corns!
9.gif

----------------

When I'm 80 you will be 85 and I think just feeble enough for me the TAKE the corns and the LP collection away from you...watch out 10.gif

How does the saying go? ...when they pry my cold deads hands away from it...

For me it's a tie between the cornwall and the Chorus II...I like the mids of the chorus II more, but the cornwall has bigger/fatter sound to it.

Are we allowed to do mods to the speakers? I wouldn't mind a double woofer cornwall like the one jwcullison built or a front ported Chorus II (instead of the passive radiator). Perhaps even a double woofer chorus II 2.gif

The RF-7 with DeanG crossovers will last me for a very long time. They have a small foot print and "only" weigh 90 pounds each.

The caveat on the RF-7s is that the front end electronics need to be very good to get the most from the investment in RF-7s. The RF-7s do not need a subwoofer for most music, if your amp is up to the task.

The Heresy II would be my second choice, if a subwoofer could be added along with a better crossover.

Bill