Bye Bye K-Horns.......

rockbobmel

Square rooms aren't ideal in any circumstance I can think of... Probably exacerbated by corner placement, too.

Glad you're excited about the 7s. I'm sure they are a fine speaker in their own right.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/22/2005 2:15:48 PM rockbobmel wrote:

ME TOO!!!-----I set them up as good as they could have been set up. I made false corners.Added a graphic EQ, Tweaked--- till my teeth fell out....!! What else is there except moving. And I not gonna move to accomodate stereo speakers.

I think you said it all. They didn't work out for you. I don't think you have to defend your plan.

I remember when JDM56 sold his and bought the B&W's he also took alot of grief.

To me it's about popping either a CD in or album on sitting back and listening to music. It's not listening to your system and going well maybe if I change this out or add this. Been there and hated it.

I was thinking last weekend how good my system sounds now and I don't see how it can get any better. Tubes and Cornwalls.

With that said I am buying a pair of Khorns. I could pick them up today if I wanted them. The problem is I dont have corners until I gut my room. When I get it done my room will be 20+x20+. Until then they will be in false corners seperated about 16 feet, if I'm lucky. If they don't sound good I will put my Cornwalls back into service and put the Khorns is a spare bedroom until my project is over.

I hope you love your new system. You tried and it didn't work. Its all about the music.

Danny

My living room is 15 X 15 X 8 and with the 2004 La Scalas just overpower me most of the time. The KHorns, La Scalas, and Belles really need room to breath to sound good. Don't misunderstand me my LS sound very good at moderate levels but turn them up more and it is a like a physical wall of sound pushing you into the back wall. I know for some of you that is what you want but for me I'm more concerned about the quality of the sound. My KLF 20s I could crank up and they would sound very good. I think people read post from forum members who have rooms better suited to Heritage speakers and they have the gear that matches them best and the speakers sound incredible. People read these reviews and want that but they don't have the room and gear for it. They buy the speakers and are disappointed.

My advice to anyone who is wanting to get KHorns, La Scalas or Belles with a small room to consider other Klipsch speakers. I am speaking from experience that a small room and La Scalas makes it very hard to get the quality of sound that the La Scalas are capable of giving. Now like I said they sound very good up to moderate levels but in a bigger room with better equipment even at moderate levels they would sound great. The Heritage speakers can require a lot of system upgrades and tweaking to get the best sound out of them if the room is not the right size.

Now I'm not saying don't buy these speakers if you have a small room but be aware of what you are getting into before you buy them. For home theater my 3 La Scalas up front sound incredible better than the KLF 20s but for music in my living room the KLF 20s sounded better. Another point about Heritage is the equipment I was using with the KLF 20s did not sound very good with my La Scalas. So I have upgraded and the sound is very good now. The sound is still not quite what I want but close so my upgrade quest continues.

Cornwalls, KLF 20s or 30s, Fortes, Heresys, and any of the Reference line would sound incredible in a small room with good equipment.

Xman

----------------

On 7/22/2005 4:13:56 PM jbsl wrote:

My advice to anyone who is wanting to get KHorns, La Scalas or Belles with a small room to consider other Klipsch speakers. I am speaking from experience that a small room and La Scalas makes it very hard to get the quality of sound that the La Scalas are capable of giving. Now like I said they sound very good up to moderate levels but in a bigger room with better equipment even at moderate levels they would sound great. The Heritage speakers can require a lot of system upgrades and tweaking to get the best sound out of them if the room is not the right size.......

Cornwalls, KLF 20s or 30s, Fortes, Heresys, and any of the Reference line would sound incredible in a small room with good equipment.

Xman

----------------

While I agree with much of your basic premise - that the large three do not work well in small rooms, my experience is that Belles can still thrive at higher volumes in a medium-sized room vs. Klipschorns and LaScalas - which seem to thrive on much larger rooms. That being said, I am now running Belles in a large open basement and am glad that I have a larger-sized room for them.

I would add a caveat to your last sentence. Sometimes, depending on the room, RF-7s can also be picky and demanding, as far as equipment goes. They are the only Reference I've owned that have been that picky with respect to the quality-level of equipment - if you want to get the most out of them.

Carl.

The klipschorn to the audio hobby is like the backyard mechanic and a fine vintage automobile .

Some folks like to buy there cars and drive the crap out of them expecting all the porformance should be there for the money spent . Some buy cars and tinker to get every last drop of potential .

Some buy speakers to plug and play others buy to custom tailor to there own specifications , thus this is a hobby in which they can become more involve then sitting on the couch and pushing a remote .

Each to his own flavor

I own 4 klipschorn 2 lascalas and a belle , my best friend has 4 RF-7's he makes the comment constantly that his system wants to be like mine when it grows up . Then again he has 30k into his gear and i have closer to 80k so it's not really a fair comparision .

There's no replacement for displacement , so if your into moving air then the choice is easy .

Okie dokies, here's an interesting set of thoughts:

>Then again he has 30k into his gear and i have closer to 80k so it's not really a fair >comparision.

>80K !!!???

>Man, that's 3/4 of the way towards my house!

So, I have two 'horns, one cornie, and two Frazier Mark IV's in my main system. I've two TT's (one for 78's), a VT amp, a VT preamp, and a class D surround amp to keep me from using up my tube life except when I just feel the need for the warm glow and sound of tubes. I've a DVD/SACD/CD player. If I don't count the Denon AVR-3000 now relegated to being used as a tuner, a cassette deck rarely used, the two RR's that are in the garage, etc, etc., I've around 3k in the whole lot.

I've heard systems at 10 times the price that didn't sound like 10 times the price.

So, who has the CHEAPEST non-inherited, stolen, or otherwise not achieved by sweat or dealing Heritage system they feel (as I do) is limited only by the source material?

Inquiring hornheads want to know...

Dave

>Quality or Quantity?

I repeat, with emPHAsis:

So, who has the CHEAPEST non-inherited, stolen, or otherwise not achieved by sweat or dealing Heritage system they feel (as I do) is LIMITED ONLY BY THE SOURCE MATERIAL?

Clear enough? I am not suggesting 'horns fed by a garage-sale 8-track with built-in amp...even though it would have plenty of power.

Dave

After owning Klipschorns and operating them in a medium sized room, I am of the opinion that they definitely work much better in a big room. Preferably with a cathederal ceiling. In a good room with good corners, the Klipschorn is magnificent - you'd have to spend big $$$$ to improve the sound.

In less than ideal rooms,the Klipschorn still works okay and sounds pretty good. But all the Klipschorn attributes that make it an ideal big room loudspeaker, tend to detract from it's potential in smaller rooms. In fact it is these situations that prospectivie Klipschorn owners may be dissuaded from purchasing them - under the impression they don't sound as good as other, more conventional loudspeakers.

This is a mistake.

If we look at this argument in another way, we would not expect say, the RB-75, to drive a large room as well as it could drive a smaller room. Would it be fair to criticise the RB-75 for it's shortcomings while it is driving the larger room?

I suggest that those that have smaller rooms should seriously consider other Heritage options or the Reference range. Those that have larger rooms can do no better than buying the Klipschorn.

Hmmm.... Very, very interesting. This has to be the first time that I've seen anybody get rid of K-horns in favor of the RF-7s.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 6:37:21 AM stan krajewski wrote:

I think a lot of folks here will be interested in your evaluation of the RF7s. Hopefully, you will give them a month or two of serious listening before posting an evaluation.

----------------

Yes, indeed! I'll be very curious to see an evaluation as well. I've listened to the K-horns at the Klipsch Pilgrimage, and I was quite impressed with how they sound, but I knew there was no way in hell they would work in the room where I currently have my own '7s setup, which is a 14 x 15 foot room with only one half-way decent corner (but there is a heater vent there). They just may work in my 20 x 15 foot room down in the basement, however, if placed on the long wall, plus I do have two decent, although not perfect, corners down there. If I can come across a pair, I'd be willing to try them down there.

But, I'll fully admit that these RF-7s are no slouch, and, in my opinion, with a good front-end, will hang quite nicely with the Heritage.

Good luck on that purchase, and please let us know how it works out.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 6:37:21 AM stan krajewski wrote:

I think a lot of folks here will be interested in your evaluation of the RF7s. Hopefully, you will give them a month or two of serious listening before posting an evaluation.

Good luck. It is indeed a bold move and I hope you are happy with the end result.

----------------

OK, I will wait, but let me just say, First impression is great!!!

I have heard RF7's a bunch of times and all but one of those times I was not in the least impressed.

That one time though - I thought - wow - sounds like a slightly smaller KHorn but with depth - I was truely amazed!

Room/speaker interaction applies across the whole spectrum of audio. The difference between a KHorn and almost all other speakers is that you cannot readily move them about to adjust the sound. Even those running with false corners are generally limited in placement options but the sheer size of the things.

RF7's are not small speakers either - but they are way more managable than the KHorn.

Can an RF7 setup sound better than a KHorn setup - sure - it all comes down to the listening environment. Obviously on a Klipsch forum like this the KHorn sits on a pedestal and no-one likes to see it knocked - but we have to be reasonable here - there are times when it is simply not the best option.

In my current listening room the Khorn is a non starter - no corners and not enough room for false corners. RF7 would be just the ticket and I would not be surprised for them to sound staggeringly good.

One day I will do that experiment.

skonopa had this to say: Hmmm.... Very, very interesting. This has to be the first time that I've seen anybody get rid of K-horns in favor of the RF-7s.

Nope, I did the same and wrote about it here some time back. I no longer have my Klipschorn's but still have my RF-7's and I'm still very satisfied with them. I still have no regrets with the move I took and have reached the pinnacle of my audio expectations and that is very amazing for this very experienced audio buff to say.

Max--- I think placement is critical for imaging. The RF-7s sound much better in one location--- where they all come together. Also, My listening location has a 63HZ dip. I can't find the problem corner yet so I have to EQ that back in. When I listened to some 2 channel stereo, I had to turn off my Center amp because I keep getting up to see why "my center speaker is on in stereo only"

It really does scare me reading some of these posts. The room I have to put the Khorns in is fairly small - not sure of the exact dimensions but I will guess 12*17 and has some architectural particulars I am not sure will work out. Of course, this has caused me to opine my basement might need to be done sooner and a dedicated home theater room AND a two channel room done or the Khorns will need to go - which is, of course, my last resort. They might gather dust rather than just get rid of them.