Diana Krall & smackable lips?

Coytee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/23/2005 11:03:10 AM Fish wrote:

Do people like this stuff because its good or because it makes their system sound good? Just wondering.

----------------

Great question Fish.

You pinned me to the wall.

I own all of her stuff. Am I a fan? Well........I only listen to the first three cuts on the Paris CD, and very often. I very much like the music....and yes, does make the system sound good. Everything else is "snooze Jazz".

Regards,

Terry

----------------

On 7/23/2005 4:17:54 AM KlipsDude wrote:

edwinr said: I'd rather hear Krall's lips smack rather than her singing. She's painful - and boring.

Oh edwin, so cruel! Atleast she has her own style and being herself and not fake or tryin to be's a BIG SHOWOFF like some artist. Just cause she's a little laid back, doesn't mean she is boring.

If we put you on stage, we would probably find you very boring compared to her!!
9.gif3.gif

----------------

Now just see here, buddy! You ain't seen nothing, especially when I've had a couple of cold ones (and that's all it takes because I'm a cheap drunk), and me dancing on a table...

...and laid back? Krall's so laid back she's asleep! 2.gif

Sorry Allen,

The only songs I overheard had bass and piano with singing. It struck me as unusual for jazz to "go comando" without a drum kit. I guess my theory about no drums contributing to folks liking her voice is all washed up, too.

Paul

she still considered her more of a cabaret singer than a jazz musician.

Interesting comment Allan, from your friend.

======================================================

Most belt em out, close mic sexy raspy voiced cabaret singers tend to over do it IMO. That's why they are Cabaret singers say in nice hotels, or resorts, and not someone really famous. (ouch, but true)

Most have pretty good chops, and every major city has a "few singers" that are very very good. Most people feel "entertained" yet the singers, players, entertainers, are not big time stars. (Big time stars can be debatable too..lol)

In the case of Diana, I will take exception because she does have real writing, and especially playing chops. She grew up in Jazz, playing keyboards and in her "Paris DVD" you get to see her skills playing in the first 3 songs... and her interpretation of playing while singing some classics too. She is also doing this with industry established musicians she idolized as a kid. That had to be larger than life for her.

Unlike Norah Jones who's meaning in the song "Don't know why..." had grown men salivating her words... I have 2 Norah Jones CD's and the New Orleans DVD. She, IMO is the hotel cabaret singer.. lifeless... no personality as a musician, and a very average voice... With the "Don't know why" caveat hit!

Again my opinion, for you and others... give Diana Krall a second chance. Sometimes she almost looks drugged, slower speech till her hands hit the keys and she lets em rip.

And that Black n White pic.. Oh My!!! You made my day!!! THAT should be a poster. It is totally ok with me if Jazz is fun and sexy too!

Hey, I heard her perform live here in LA a couple of times back in the 1980's-- really early in her career and long before she recorded anything. I think she left LA for New York about 1988 or so, but my memory is pretty vague. I'm guessing she is about 42-44 years old because she was probably in her mid-20s back in the mid 1980s. She's a really good jazz pianist and a pretty fair singer too. I do think of her as a jazz artist and as I said before, I would absolutely go hear her perform in a small club again. I also am quite happy that she has found big-time success. Any time jazz hits the mainstream it's a GOOD thing . . .

I don't buy her albums (I do have the first CD on Impulse!) but don't hate the stuff I hear from time to time on the radio.

----------------

On 7/23/2005 11:03:10 AM Fish wrote:

Do people like this stuff because its good or because it makes their system sound good? Just wondering.
----------------

Good point. There is no accounting for taste, of course, but when you consider that Krall is seemingly always used in demos of audiophile equipment at shows, it does seem like she's picked because of how non-demanding the music is for stereo equipment. It's not a torture test for dynamics or complexity or range.

I like Dianna Krall alright, at least she can sing and play a piano with some chops. I find her sticking to the "classics" refreshing, rather than writing her own stuff - don't we get enough self-centered female angst-ridden crap already?

BUT - the engineer(s) seem to mic her WAY TOO CLOSE. Gives the vocals an overpowering scale in the overall soundstage, which I do not care for.

DM2.gif

Yes, but that's apples and oranges... frankly, I prefer the Big Band singers over the current nightclub genre; those women could SING back then! However, they didn't usually play an instrument while fronting a band...

I heard an early 40's Ella, and couldn't believe that was her! She is better known in her later years as a jazz-oriented singer, but there is something sexier in a young womans voice, and she could certainly carry a lovely tune in her younger days.

But for intimate club venues, I would have to go with Krall and Patricia Barber, who have that same sexy quality IMO.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/23/2005 9:33:14 AM Allan Songer wrote:

When she first started gigging around LA with Clayton and Hamilton I was really impressed--I mean here is this little blonde girl from Canada holding her own with two of the BEST LA players. I still think she's a much better pianist than singer--in the old days she would only sing about two tunes per set and that seems about right.

I bought her first album and I would glady check her out in a small club in LA again in a heartbeat, but to lay down $50 to hear her at some 4,000 seat venue is just plain NUTTY--her talent is suited for a small, intimate club.

I asked Helen Merrill last year what she thought of the new crop of highly marketed "pretty" singers like Krall, Monheit and Norah Jones and Helen said Krall was the ONLY one of the bunch who had any jazz chops at ALL--she still considered her more of a cabaret singer than a jazz musician, but she said she liked Diana Krall just fine. And that's good enough for me.

----------------

Yup, I was one of those who was "just plain nutty" enough to go see her when she played the Fox Theater in Detroit about a year ago. Still feel ripped off to this day. Plunked down some substantial cabbage for two tickets, and she was on stage for just over an hour, and probably talked for 10 - 15 minutes of that. She didn't really leave me wanting more, either.

----------------

On 7/25/2005 9:17:25 PM edwinr wrote:

The current crop of popular (or crossover) female jazz flavoured vocalists pale beside artists like Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan.

----------------

I enjoy Ella Fitzgerald and Sara Vaughn a great deal but I like Krall a lot too and I listen to her music fairly often. She plays the piano quite well and always has great back-up musicians. Like Allan said, Jeff Hamilton is a great drummer and for the "Live at the Montreal Jazz Fest" DVD she had Peter Erskine; another quality man with the sticks & skins. Too much of any female jazz singer gets to me at times. Yes Allan, even Helen Merrill. I just takes a bit longer with her!9.gif

Love her or hate her, no one can deny that Krall is a wonderful pianist and competent singer, and is making quite a name for herself...she's obviously doing something right!

And she's still quite the looker! Elvis is one lucky dude!4.gif

dianakrall.jpg

post-11084-138192687276_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/26/2005 10:34:04 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Love her or hate her, no one can deny that Krall is a wonderful pianist and competent singer, and is making quite a name for herself...she's obviously doing something right!

And she's still quite the looker! Elvis is one lucky dude!
4.gif

----------------

I have to agree here. And I think "KlipsDude" hit on the nail as well! I'll take Krall over the likes of Britteny Spears, J.Lo, and the like any day of the week. Although I don't own any of her material, I've had heard enough of her, though. I do like her voice and there is no denying that she is indeed an accomplished pianist. Would I run out to get any of her albums? Probably not, but I can certainly enjoy listening to her on occasion (at least it is a nice break from all the metal that I typically listen to 11.gif )

And yes, she is still quite the looker - complete with hair about the same color as mine! 10.gif