Movies (or TV shows) you have to watch alone.

grog

There is a movie you really like... but you significant other will not let you watch it.

I know this happens to many and is very common.

You know what I am talking about... Turn on Star Trek and you mate sleeps in the other room....

You scan the TV channels and Rocky (1-4) is playing...

Oh boy you say...

Wife leaves the room not to be seen for several hours.

What movies or shows causes this division in your home. I think you know a couple of mine now...

Greg

If I had a signficant other (which I don't, and living blissfully as a single 11.gif), I cannot imagine her wanting to sit through something like Dune. Neither the original 1984 David Lynch rendition, nor the newer 2000 John Harrison "mini-series" that was originally on the Sci-Fi channel. I have and watched both of these, and found both of them quite good (in thier own ways). But, wow, this is definitly not for everyone!

----------------

On 7/22/2005 10:32:08 PM skonopa wrote:

If I had a signficant other (which I don't, and living blissfully as a single
11.gif
), I cannot imagine her wanting to sit through something like Dune. Neither the original 1984 David Lynch rendition, nor the newer 2000 John Harrison "mini-series" that was originally on the Sci-Fi channel. I have and watched both of these, and found both of them quite good (in thier own ways). But, wow, this is definitly not for everyone!

----------------

I can remember watching Dune on TV with a girlfriend I used to have back in the 80's but she fell fast asleep soon after it started. So I can relate to girls not being interested.

She and I could not be further from each other in viewing tastes.

She wakes up and watches almost all of "Today" and after work watches MSNBC's revolving door of talking heads spewing their opinions (that don't seem to solve anything) on us. That's how she gets her "news".

She has NOT fallen asleep to two movies we've tried to watch together in the 8 years we've been together. Some florist movie with Christian Slater and some chick flick I can't remember.

I used to complain, but shoot, I've realised I can watch anything I want in our viewing room -- uninterrupted! That is, if there's no issue with the kids.

That said, she shows a little interest in period flicks and scary movies. Other than that she is not inerested at all. I got Million Dollar Baby (of all movies) today from Netflix, and she couldn't have cared less.

My wife isn't so keen on The Fifth Element while I watch it about twice a month! She just hates Chris Tucker's character and not too keen on the opera towards the end. I simply love the opera portion and am thoroughly entertained by Tucker's character.

But, then again, my wife doesn't have to propensity to watch movies over and over again like I do so maybe watching it once is enough for her.

D

• Moderators

I like all types of movies (unless they star Jean Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal), but the movies I have to watch alone are:

When Harry Met Sally

Steel Magnolias

Fried Green Tomatos

Sleepless in Seattle

Pretty Woman

You've Got Mail

I'm sure you get the idea 1.gif

TV Shows?

Used to be Northern Exposure, but since that was cancelled and re-runs quit playing, I don't watch much TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems if my significant other can be pryed from his computer to watch a movie his choice would be something he's seen so many times he can quote the script word for word (and I might add he WILL continue to quote parts of the movie for days and months - sound familiar?).

Over the weekend Constantine put him to sleep as did Blade II, Blade Trinity and Multiplicity. Of course he works hard and falls asleep when he relaxes - he even naps at his computer during the evenings! (Not complaining - just stating facts here)

So most movies I mostly watch alone or endure some movie or television program of his choosing (Gunsmoke & Bonanza come to mind). 9.gif

Any martial arts movies: Enter the Dragon, Hero, Crouching Tiger, Last Samurai, House of Flying Daggers plus Castaway, Master and Commander and numerous others. She seems stuck on Harry Potter, Spiderman, Back to the Future, and not that's there anything wrong with them the LOTR Trilogy and Gilligan's Island DVD's.

Grateful11

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 8/24/2005 6:02:34 PM D-MAN wrote:

Anything with the 3 Stooges in it. Women just don't seem to "get" the 3 Stooges!

What's up with that?!

DM

----------------

Sad but true. A woman could learn all she needs to know about men by watching the Three Stooges.

I have to watch my paintball videos by myself, same thing with the Alien Quadrilogy or anything that goes extraterrestrial. She amazed me a few day ago though, when she DID watch "We were soldiers" with me. The ones of you, who have seen the movie will agree, that it is not you average "girly flick".

I even told her before, that this was probably one of the most realistic war movies out there (or at least that I have seen, and I have seen quite a few) showing the cruelty in every detail and leaving you with a bitter taste in your mouth and a numb feeling in your stomach afterwards.

This evening definitly made us both think. Watching this movie and realizing how thankful one has to be, being at home and being loved, living peacefully...

Nick