Check out my new status symbol and burn with envy.

sputnik

jeepster.jpg

Yes, yes! It is indeed a 1967 Jeepster Commando newly added to my rolling fleet. It has the original fire-breathing Buick 225 Dauntless V-6 powerplant with a silky 3-speed transmission. It sips gas at the economical rate of 12 miles per gallon and has no annoying power brakes! Set me back by the princely sum of $800 but came with new tires (four of em) and a half a tank of gas. Alot of money yes, but a man needs a fine motor car to let the world know that he HAS arrived. Don't you wish you were me? 10.gif

It's nice! Like it very much. I donts wish I were you though. Older stuff takes money to keep them a runnin good and right, I's have to have newer so not sinkin money into all the time. I's dont like sunkin money but some donts mind to have a nice vintage nice jeep like that! 2.gif

----------------

On 7/26/2005 8:28:16 AM Frzninvt wrote:

There is even room for a couple of sheep in the back.
9.gif

----------------

You betcha - I took out the back seat! Some people have to be satisfied with just seat covers. 11.gif

The lil bugger is alot of fun to drive. It's solid despite some non-critical blisters and rust spots. All of the original knobs and doodads are there. The engine was rebuilt at a local votech - I hope the kid got at least a passing grade. It's very simple mechanically. It runs quite well but without power brakes, it takes some muscle.

I'm not sure if I'm going to make this a project or just run it around until I get $800 worth of fun out of it. I tend to go overboard on restoration and I doubt there is much interest or value in a concourse Commando.

Hey Sput, it is clearly a babe magnet. You go dude!

Of course, being a bit more conservative myself, I tend to think the red gas cap is kinda "over the top", but I know you have that dangerous and wild side to your personality, so it fits. The rolling sound system consists of . . . . . ?

----------------

On 7/26/2005 9:55:06 AM st. patrick wrote:

Hey Sput, it is clearly a babe magnet. You go dude!

Of course, being a bit more conservative myself, I tend to think the red gas cap is kinda "over the top", but I know you have that dangerous and wild side to your personality, so it fits. The rolling sound system consists of . . . . . ?

----------------

Unfortunately, it's more of a guy magnet. 7.gif

The "red' gas cap does reflect my true personality - it's actually rust resulting from an acute chrome deficiency.

Oh yes, the sound system consists of the highly sought after truely high-end Jeep AM radio. It reveals all of the subtle nuance, warmth, and depth of talk radio.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 8:01:09 AM Speedball wrote:

Sputnik,

That is so cool! $800.00 bucks seems like a good deal but the gas mileage is terrible for a 6 cylinder.
----------------

He could probably get different gears for it to make it a little better. It probably still weighs upwards of 3,800lbs.

Being such a nice classic jeep, you should not run it into rags, the more rare it becomes and you restore it and keep it, every thing to close to original, the higher price you will get.

Took out the back seat! 6.gif

I hope you plans on keepin it. Should keep it all original as much as possible. If you restore it right, you will later get back more than you paid for it, or what you put into restoring it.

Have fun, and enjoys it.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 10:38:14 AM Tom Blasing wrote:

----------------

On 7/26/2005 8:01:09 AM Speedball wrote:

Sputnik,

That is so cool! $800.00 bucks seems like a good deal but the gas mileage is terrible for a 6 cylinder.
----------------

He could probably get different gears for it to make it a little better. It probably still weighs upwards of 3,800lbs.

----------------

It weighs in at 2,800 lbs. I'm happy to report that I just filled the tank today and got 14 mpg. The 12 mpg tankful included a couple of hours of low range crawling off-road. This also includes alot of city mileage (cruising by the drive-in) and, without power brakes, I tend to lay off the clutch and use the engine for slowing down more than I would in a modern vehicle. It's just a toy so I don't care too much about the mileage.

I don't think that the Jeepster was ever intended to be as off-roadable the CJ-5 but so far, it's more fun off-road than my Yukon. The Yukon makes it just too easy to lumber around off-road while the Commando requires attention. Yeehaw, I haven't double clutched in years. 3.gif

Kind of reminds me of my 1968 CJ-5 4 cylinder stick shift 4 wheel drive. After installing a Torsen rear (triple worm drive posi) end and a Dana clutch type posi in the front from Dana Corp. (they had 4 units in stock on the shelf)(2732AF) and four Fat Herbies with white spoke wheels, I could pull a freight train.

JJK