kingdave

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/28/2005 9:28:16 PM jheis wrote:

dragonfyr:

In case you need a tutorial on Chinese quality control, just take a stroll through your local Harbor Freight - or pick up a lower end Denon. Absolute crap!

Of course, so is everything Micro$oft touches - and I don't buy their stuff either.

James----------------

Amazing stereotypes! And while you may chose to focus on the $8 shoes the Americans are scarfing up to the exclusion of domestic stuff ( let's see, American cars, well know for quality!), and Deming had to go , WHERE to gain acceptance?

Well get used to it, as the world's foremost designer of supercomputers, Steven Chen, has bailed for China as well, as he couldn't secure venture investment in his latest efforts in the US. And just like Japan, if you think all China is or will be is cheap junk, just keep telling yourself that! Maybe
you
need to go and actually look at some of their new fab plants!

And their scientific R&D will soon eclipse ours. At least they are expanding while we are contracting, and they are making investments where we sit on our proverbial butts.

Sounds like this one has serious questions with expanding market economies. I suspect the biggest difference is that the average Chinese is motivated and disciplined, whereas the typical American sits around with a victim mentality blaming everyone else and eschewing all personal responsibility while waiting for the proverbial 'they' fo 'fix' whatever change it is they cannot quite comprehend but for which their frustration doesn't prevent them from blaming everyone ELSE...

Your stereotype is far too limited.

----------------

On 7/29/2005 11:08:29 PM kev313 wrote:

Comparing the study habits of Chinese children to Americans is not only interesting, it is darn close to introducing a relevant response. The no belt crotch grabbing comment, however, may evidence a bit of a "generation gap".----------------

Hmmm. So it takes a different generation to see this? Or to eschew the lack of positive values generally displayed in rap and so many of the other current social manifestations? I guess I am just jealous that the artists of my ancient generation didn't partake in drive by shootings with rival bands! At least 'my' generation had the Last Poets...rap simply has b!tches and hos.

And like the idiots who accused Beavis and Butthead of serving as models for kids to copy - B&B were simply reflective of what had already happened! And if you can't see this in the ghetto/prison inspired 'know what I mean' grab your crotch substitution for being able to coherantly express what they mean, pointing this out is a waste of time.

And it has NO bearing on what generation you are from. The values, or lack thereof, transcend generations.

9.gif11.gif

----------------

On 7/30/2005 4:17:52 AM sunburnwilly wrote:

You Can Find Rotel Equipment In Every Pawn Shop Here . " What Does That Mean "
10.gif

----------------

It tells me these shop owners must nuts as Rotel sells very quickly on ebay for top dollar.

though not in my nature to debate such social problems with people I dont know, I agree dragon. The percentage of youth following this Ignorance/victim mentality seems to be on the rise. It is sad really, boils down to poor parenting and crappy school systems. Oh and mtv! Not to say that this mentality is the majority but it is rising. It is directly routed to parents with victim mentality, Selfish a$$holes who unfortunately are capable of breeding.

as far as this threads concerned I am singing the praises of the teac a-l700p tripath powered digital amp for $99.

I know its not a reciver. I suggest to anyone except people using $2k+ amps to try one of these. I got a yamaha-5790 that I bought new for $800 and this tripath based d amp has slam factor the yamaha never had, Ive fallen back in love with My forte II. So yes yes buy something that does everthing decoding wise but has preouts. and buy two of these little bastards. The difference in money to sound is realy awesome.

Wayne

----------------

On 7/31/2005 12:51:43 AM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

On 7/29/2005 11:08:29 PM kev313 wrote:

Comparing the study habits of Chinese children to Americans is not only interesting, it is darn close to introducing a relevant response. The no belt crotch grabbing comment, however, may evidence a bit of a "generation gap".----------------

Hmmm. So it takes a different generation to see this? Or to eschew the lack of positive values
generally
displayed in rap and so many of the other current social manifestations? I guess I am just jealous that the artists of
my
ancient generation didn't partake in drive by shootings with rival bands! At least 'my' generation had the Last Poets...rap simply has b!tches and hos.

And like the idiots who accused Beavis and Butthead of serving as models for kids to copy - B&B were simply reflective of what had
already
happened! And if you can't see this in the ghetto/prison inspired 'know what I mean' grab your crotch substitution for being able to coherantly express what they mean, pointing this out is a waste of time.

And it has NO bearing on what generation you are from. The values, or lack thereof, transcend generations.

9.gif"11.gif"

----------------

If that was the meaning of your original post, it was not clearly articulated. By referring to baggy pants, the original post failed to differentiate between hip-hop youth culture in general as opposed to harmful manifestations of certain aspects of that culture. Failure to delineate these two things may not be indicative of your age, but failure to understand the difference is an example of a "generation gap."

To be honest, I still have no idea where you stand as your second statement ("Or to eschew the lack of positive values generally displayed in rap and so many of the other current social manifestations?") is totally at odds with the remainder of your post. Notably, however, I really don't care.

I would agree that age is really not determinative of one's ability to sort these things out. It does play a role, however, in your exposure to these types of issues and ability to contextualize various phenomenon. For example, if you are not referring to Corso, GInsberg, et al with your "last poets" remark, you are just dead crazy. I just "don't get" your music. See...generation gap!9.gif9.gif

Hi KingDave

I would like to respond to your question regarding a receiver. I hope that I can help you with your inquiry.

You said that you want to spend between $200 and $300 on a receiver. I highly recommend Yamaha. I have had three Yamaha receivers and I have been extremely happy with all three. My 1st Yamaha was damaged by water so I had to get rid of it. My 2nd Yamaha I sold in order to buy a Yamaha AV receiver with more power and more features. Yamaha makes one of the best receivers out there. Other great brands are Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, and Sony. (I might have missed some, but my list includes the most popular brands out there.)

Whether a receiver is made by Japanese, Chinese or Taiwanese people is really not a factor anymore. Those people work very hard and they get paid next to nothing for it. I can remember in the 70's when my father and I would go to look at cars. We would laugh at the Toyotas, Datsuns and Mazdas. Guess what...we aren't laughing anymore. I don't think anyone is laughing anymore.

McIntosh receivers are excellent and no one is ever going to argue that point, but they cost thousands of dollars. Who can afford to pay that for just a receiver? Most people have varied interests and will need that money to spend in other areas.

Good luck shopping. Check out Yamaha and some of the other brands I mentioned...you won't be disappointed.

Robert

----------------

On 7/31/2005 9:25:15 PM getech wrote:

I hate to break it to a fellow newbie here but you ain't going to get sh#t from a 300 receiver. why not get an ipod and settle, eh?

----------------

Ive already got my Ipod... and when you say I aint gonna get ****, your talking as an audiophile. While I would love to go ahead and buy a $1k plus receiver, thats not going to be a reality for quite some time. College bills have to come before my Home Theater, unfortunately. However, I think the receiver I picked up should work great. It is a higher end used receiver, so It isnt really a 300 receiver.

dave

Dave the Denon AVR-3300 is a $1K receiver. It retailed for $1K and I bought mine brand new from an authorized dealer for $750. So you get all the benefits without dropping the big cash. I still use it as the bedroom HT receiver with an Infinity based system.