Fujitsu 50" plasma 8.0k

Magnavox SR 8000 0.7K

Denon 2900 0.5K

Universal remote 0.25K

RF-7-X2,RC-7,

RS-7-X2,RSW-15 Free (don't ask how)

Interconnects, cables,

mounts, rack (homemade) 0.25K

Roughly around 10K, excluding any furniture and the custom framed vintage Jimi Hendrix poster.9.gif

OUCH! You've made my head hurt all those numbers.....about 22k for the equipment and 14k for the cabinetry at retail, but since I've paid between 30-50% less, overall about 20k actual expenditure. Taking it a bit further, seeing as how I've been putting this together for 15 years, it works out to about $100/month or the equivalent of a good meal/week or 1 fast food order/day, not bad considering all of the enjoyment I've had and continue to experience, thanks for making me put it into perspective!

Nah, he was just feeling cute and failed to notice or chose to ignore the second paragraph of the opening post.

Otherwise good participation guys. So far it looks like there are basically two kinds of systems -- those that cost $5-7K (or would but for discounts and luck), and those that cost much much more. 2.gif

Oh and Nick, I feel for you. That is a choice no man of your tender years should have to make.

I guess I'm the poor boy of the bunch. Although I notice the Olorin and I have pretty similar setups price wise. What $200 receiver are you using there big O? Must have been quite a deal!

I'm really not so impressed with the total dollar output as the economy of being able to do the most with the least. In that way I'm very proud of my purchases. Most speakers purchased used, most electronics new with discount from major local hi-fi chain (I believe in buying locally from a reputable dealer).

If I add up all the speakers currently in use in my main system, it's two $500 pair of CW's, and a KLF-C7 at about $300, plus KSW12 at $300, so I have only $1600 in all Klipsch speakers- WHAT A DEAL!

Speakers $1600

Yam RXV2400 $1000

DVD, CASS, CD, LP probably $250 ea so $1000

Coaster seats x 4 (1/2 price) $750

Bello Stand (1/3 price) $350

Sony 35" tv- free from bros bar

Wires- not much $100 or so

All told about $5 grand only. I think it's a killer setup for the bucks I have in it.

Of course there's a total of 46 speakers around here somewhere, whole sets of RB5/RC7 for basement system, Industrial LS with extra bass bins for outside, Birch LS extras for ??, spare set of CW in garage, about 4 pair of KSB1.1's, pair RB3 maple, etc etc, plus HK430, HK730, Canon projector - oh, yeah and the PA, I suppose I've got about $15 grand in stereo and TV junk around the house, another $5 in PA stuff, probably $10 in CD's/DVD's (about 800 of them right now.)

So all told, with furniture, PA and software, this hobby is into me for about $30 big ones. About what I have in cameras. It's tough being a single guy with all these toys.

Is this of use to anyone?

Michael

Actual MSRP

klipsch/KLF-20(1997) = $829 $1499

klipsch/RC-3II(2004) = $279 $499

klipsch/heresyII(1995) = $569 $1100

mtx/SUB-15(2004) = $329 $749

yamaha reciever/RX-V2090(1997) = $829 $1499

denon dvd player/DVD-2910(2005) = $529 $749

sony vcr/SLV-700HF(1994) = $399 $449

h/k cd player/FL-8380(2003) = $125 $399

panamax protector/MAX-5100(2003)= $229 $349

h/k DD decoder/ADP-303(1997) = $699 $749 (not used)

hitachi 51" tv/51F510(2005) =$1349 $1799

GT=$6165 $9341

----------------

On 8/9/2005 8:44:23 AM Olorin wrote:

Nah, he was just feeling cute and failed to notice or chose to ignore the second paragraph of the opening post.

Otherwise good participation guys. So far it looks like there are basically two kinds of systems -- those that cost $5-7K (or would but for discounts and luck), and those that cost much much more.
2.gif

Oh and Nick, I feel for you. That is a choice no man of your tender years should have to make.

----------------

Acutally, I hadn't read the opening post for about a day and a half (a year in internet time); also, I was just feeling cute

9.gif

Only having fun with what the perception of all these comments could be, if one were to look at it that way.

Which I don't.

BTW, estimated retail cost of mine is roughly $15K 6.gif

...Not nearly as much as a fishing boat and trailer, not to mention all the necessary gear and tackle...

Yeah, I knew it could be taken as a sizing exercise or something equally low if it wasn't framed right, so framing it is what I tried to do. Thanks for taking my response to you in good humor and posting in the spirit of the thread. 1.gif

Let's see, how else could we put it in perspective for the SOs. It's less expensive than restoring muscle cars. We'll never spend $20K on a baseball card. It's somewhat less time consuming than train spotting. It's safer than dirt biking. It's much, much less aggravating than golf. 9.gif

System inventory:

7.1 High Definition Theater - construction completed: October 11, 2004. Room (Basement): 10.5'W x 19'to 23'L x 7' H

-Receiver: Pioneer Elite THX Ultra 2 VSX-49TXi(130 watts per channel x7

-DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai (I am using the Firewire (i-Link) connection for digital audio and bass management)

-Speakers (All Klipsch Reference Series)

Fronts: RF-7s

Center: RC-7

Side-Surrounds: RS-7s

Rear-Surrounds: (In-wall): RCW-5s

Subwoofer: RSW-15 15" set to LFE-Mode THX Ultra 2 setting: 80 Hz Roll-off

-Projector: Sharp XV-Z9000-U DLP Ceiling-mounted

-High-Definition Tuner/Cable Box: Motorola DCT-5100 - Cable Service Provider: Comcast High-Definition Digital Cable Platinum Service

-CD Changers: 2-Pioneer Elite F27, 301-Disc (602 CD total storage) Units connected together and work in tandem.

-Cassette Recorder/Player: (Older and seldom used) Techinics by Panasonic

-Turntable: Pioneer with Stanton 681EEE Cartridge & Stylus

-DVHS Deck: JVC D-VHS Digital Video Recorder - HDTV 16:9 Compliant

-Screen: Stewart Filmscreen 78" Grayhawk ScreenWall with Velux no-glare frame coating

-Power Line Conditioner: Tripp-Lite LCR2400 2400 watt/20 amp, rack-mounted

-Equipment Rack: Mid-Atlantic 19" x 6 1/2 ft tall x 25" deep with smoke Plexiglas door & 10" cooling fan

-Rack lighting by Littlite

-Infrared Remote Repeating system by Niles System

-Leviton Structured Media Box

Cabling:

-Speaker cable: 250 FT of 12-gauge Tributaries SP-2

-Monster M-Series Silver (for all Component Video interconnects)

-Acoustic Research (AR): for all analog, and digital

optical (TOSLink) audio connections

-Belkin Cable: For all Firewire (i-Link) IEEE-1394 connections, CAT-5E connections & Quad-Sheild Coaxial cables

-Tributaries subwoofer cable

Lighting Systems

-Lighting Automation & control systems by Lightolier Systems - Compose PLC 4 scene controller w/infrared sensor

Low Voltage Lighting Systems:

-12 volt Monorail type pendants by W.A.C.

-12 volt Wall sconces by Tech Lighting

-12 volt Ceiling track lighting by Lazer

Line Voltage lighting Systems

-120 volt recessed floodlight cans by Halo

Special Effects Stage lighting

-D.J.Scan RG intelligent effects light by American D.J.

-Obsession effects light by Chauvet

MP3 Music server, web download and LAN Network link

-Dell Pentium PC with Windows XP Professional - 25 GB Storage, Zip Drive, DVD/CD-R/RW Drive, 14" flatscreen monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse

Theater Remote Control - Phillips Pronto TSU-3000 W/Docking Station

Seating: (4) Matinee Theater Loungers in Tomato Red by La-Z-Boy Furniture

Approximate Bottom Line (does not include bar fixtures or BOOZE!): Somewhere between $25K and $30K

Interesting side noteor maybe not depending on your point of view. When I was looking at my theater seats I got to talking to the owner of the joint I ended up buying from. They specialize in start to finish HT builds. Clients tend to be more on the professional athlete/corporate executive/high ranking political figure types not the equipment geeks or do it yourself types that I believe the average forum member tends to be.

Anyway they do lots of 150,000 dollar and up installs with many topping 250,000. He did say that he is gaining a lot of business where people have taken some equity out of the red hot housing market in the area we live in. These people are completely revamping a room or adding an addition to their house but have no interest in doing anything themselves. For these customers he says the ideal price point tends to be about $75,000. He went on to say that about 25K of that goes to equipment. The rest to construction, furnishings, finishing and profit. 75K seemed a bit high to me. I cant see the average 35-55 year old couple with 2 kids to put through college dumping 75K on a TV and speakers. But he had no reason to lie to me. I had already detailed my room to him and he knew he was not getting any business from me except for the seats.

You guys/gals think a complete room soup to nuts with no effort on your part except to pick the colors of the carpet, walls and seats is a 75K job? Ill tell you this - the demo theater they had built in the show room was killersadly no Klipsch products.

Pre/Pro (Aragon Stage One)- $3800 + 15% (taxes)

Amps (Aragon 2005+2002) - $3200 + 15% (taxes)

RF7 +RC7 - $2600 + $250 (Taxes + customs)

RF35 - $1125 +15%

RB-5 - $300

Sub RW12 - 650 + 15%

Projector/Screen/mount - 4100 + 15%

Audio Stand - 480 + 15%

HTPC - 1500 + 15%

Speaker Stand - $100

Power Surge Protector - 80 +15%

Cables - (Preamp:$220 + Component:$229 + Audio Coax:120 + Speakers:120, DVI: $200) + 15%

Others - A lot of small other items such as cables

Total - $21347.1 CAD + $4000 in CDs and DVDs(A lot of other expenses + the time I invested in this thing)

@1.20 US exchange rates ==> $17790.7 USD + $3000 in CD and DVD

RF-25's $475

RC-25 $195

RS-35's $400

Sub-12 $450

Denon AVR-2105 $460

Denon DVD-1910 $200

Panasonic 32" HD monitor $1100

remote $195

stands for rears $100

ent. ctr. $500

cables, etc. $100 (I am cheap!)

tax approx $215

shipping approx $25

ancient Pioneer PL-7 turntable still in use...cannot remember the cost, it was from 1976 or so, lol...

main system total $4440 + turntable and Shure cartridge, also DirecTV HD setup...not counting the other system(s)...although I have managed to restrain myself from moving to the R-7 line so far...12.gif

Speakers $2,000

HDTV $4,000

StudioTech Rack (high in SAF) $800

Yammie 2300 $700

Switchers, cables, players, geegaws, brickbats $700

CD's, DVDs, SACDs, DVD-As -- as nickoltl said -- priceless

Saddest part is that had I been a more active reader of this forum, I would have saved some money.

Almost as sad part is how much the prices of a lot of that stuff dropped the day after i bought it14.gif

I am afraid to say out loud. It makes me feel better looking at some of you though, especially some of the rooms and equipment lists of peoples HT rooms I admire too.

I am still putting mine together..

I will re visit this topic later...

Know that the "fad" of HT has caught on full bore.. And what people are saying is true, remodels and a dedicated room for HT ARE the "rage" right now too... Course there is also HT in a box for under 200 dollars... just ad a TV your set right??? You get what you pay for!

In SW FL, ( We have a family place there) look at 75K on up.. just for the room NOT counting the equipment too. Here in the midwest in Indiana , thank goodness, it is a lot lower.. Especially with some do it yourself sweat equity too!

Rooms within rooms, Separate electricity, HVAC runs for audio video and lights too... Getting room dimensions right not to mention anything about finishing it.. Pretty easy to spend a LOT of money IMO too. Then after all the room is done gasp what do you have over to buy equipment wise...???

Somewhere in here also, it needs to be said..

Cost $$$ wise + enjoyment with friends and family for years in a safe environment... at home!!! = PRICELESS!!!