Best all-time heavy metal scream?

nuclearay

I get a kick out of how everyone seems to posit themselves as 'heavy metal' and dismiss everyone else as lightweights!! And of course the new folks who aren't introducing anything really new feel compelled to diss the previous groups with a sneer!

I can't help but think of Blue Oyster Cult, that oh so tough & scary band from Huntington, Long Island, (yeah, a very rough neighborhood!!! Some folks there have only have ONE polo pony!!!6.gif ) who in reality were some of the nicest, most polite and classy guys I ever met and had the pleasure to work with! In fact, it was even fun trying to work around Don's ('Buck') wedding in Jan/Feb??'72, (or was it 73? anyway...) and it was ONE CLASSY wedding! And even Butch Crowe and Steve Monroe were some of the greatest crew as well! Gee, and no dysfunctional heroin/crank habits or anything! They really HAD to work at coming off so scarily! But, just to protect their image, I may have them confused with the Bee Gees!

Of course there were/are a few where the reality is even worse then the image..A real thrill that!2.gif14.gif

Yep, in HEAVY METAL, image is everything!3.gif3.gif3.gif

Guitarists!? So many.....

In my fantasy rockstar game I'll put Steve Morse up against any one you can toss out! And I will even let him go up against any style of music you like! (Thanks for being so cooperative Steve!!)

Of course, how many are familiar with that dinosaur band called the Dixie Dregs!? Who???2.gif9.gif9.gif

After all, who do you think Vai and Satriani were trying to listen to at 16 on the turntable just to get his notes to appear as 64th notes!!!!!!

(And let Jack and Jorma rest a bit up at Fur Peace!)

I gotta go with Colter,the Who "Won't get fooled Again"is my favorite all time scream,truly from the deepest part of the soul.Heavy Metal or not,fyi we called hard rock Heavy Metal long before the guys who demanded I kill my mom etc....

Sorry to jack your thread with our definitions. Here is another take at it. I listen to the music I grew up with. I think we all feel strongly about our 'coming of age' music, that which was popular and new when we were in high school.

Imho, those bands that live on have something magical, something special, that transcends their immediate era. The Led Zeppelin is the foremost band of that category. The sounds become timeless, appealing to generations, like Frank Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles.

That they practically invented the rock ballad, merged folk, rock, country and eastern influences easily say a lot about their arranging skills. Their music prowess carried a type of POWER that was not pure speed with no soul (think Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai), not just pure loud with no technique or chops (think Kiss or AC/DC). Zeppelin's POWER was evident in eloquent acoustic moments as it was in the most drastic crunching guitar chords. Each member was a master of his instrument. All played a part in the magic.

As Jimmy once put it when looking through a photo archive, searching for the perfect Zeppelin image. "What are you looking for Jimmy?"

He responded "Power, Mystery, and the Hammer of the Gods".

I defy any of the newer bands, Godsmack, Slayer, even Nirvana to ever capture the following and majesty of the Mighty Zeppelin.

btw Dragonfyr, I'll stack up Tommy Bolin to Steve Morse any day. And the boy could sing. Too bad about the drugs...

Michael-

Cause I'm a Speeeeed King, gotta hear me sing

I'm a Speeeeed King, see.. me.. fly... ohhhhhh....

Emperor is pretty intense AND musical too...

though I'm certain not many have heard of them. I'll have to borrow that CD from my cousin again and provide some specific tracks and the singer's name. He's got a few more albums with musical screaming (oxymoron perhaps?). Though I would classify all this as death speed metal or something along those lines...dunno if it counts towards heavy metal. And for the record, I'm not a fan of the growling or screaming or any of that, but I really like it on these few albums my cousin has played for me (he's got thousands and thousands of metal CDs...like enough to line a 10 foot wall 6 feet high so I always love visiting and just hearing new music).

A couple bands in the last decade have caught lightning in a bottle as far as the total package of writing, playing, arrainging and ***-kicking. Good hard rock/heavy metal has been slim since the end of the grunge "thing". You have a lot of the industrial metal types stuff (Korn, System of A Down) which somehow doesn't really fit into the scheme of Hard Rock or Heavy Metal IMO. Not that I don't enjoy some of it, but it doesn't really seem to be based on the same template.

Soundgarden (RIP), Audioslave, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age seem like the last bastions of album based "classic" rock. I'm sure their are others, but they are the ones that jump to mind.

• Like 1

Okay wait, let me say that I'm 18 and you sure as hell won't see me listening to most of the music that has come out in the past 5 years to the present (Pop, Boy Bands, crap like Britney Spears) no sir, I really enjoy things like AC/DC, The Who, Van Halen and I like to listen to them everyday for at least an hour or 2. I knew this would happen, I list two bands: godsmack and disturbed, and people my dads age would start putting them down cause their new. Why compare them to Zepplin? Their not trying to be zepplin, the new fad for heavier music today is depression and anger..where as 25 years ago it was about girls, alcohol, and having a good time. Times change and unfortunatley old school rock is going out of style, although I will fight to stop it :P... And even though I prefer AC/DC over those two I mentioned, it doesn't mean their not good bands, their excellent IMHO, all music has it's places and audiences it appeals too, I've just never been one for now a days tunes in general.

I truely like my taste in music because when ever it boils down to the type of music I listen to with my friends, I always push for that old time rock and have successfully turned fellow peers over to things like AC/DC.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 12:53:15 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Guitarists!?
So
many.....

In my fantasy rockstar game I'll put Steve Morse up against any one you can toss out! And I will even let him go up against any style of music you like! (Thanks for being so cooperative Steve!!)

Of course, how many are familiar with that dinosaur band called the Dixie Dregs!? Who???
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

After all, who do you think Vai and Satriani were trying to listen to at 16 on the turntable just to get his notes to appear as 64th notes!!!!!!

(And let Jack and Jorma rest a bit up at Fur Peace!)

----------------

I saw the Dixe Dregs in Columbia SC at a small club called the Copper Kettle. About 50 people in the audience. Late 1977, I think. I was 5 feet from Andy West.

Whew, whattashow!

Woo

----------------

On 8/12/2005 4:33:30 PM dgb wrote:

The one thing that turned me off about Godsmack is that they not only named their band after an Alice In Chains song, but they pretty much seem to be trying to sound like Alice In Chains.

Any of you listen to Helmet?

----------------

Godsmack started out as an Alice in Chains cover band, that's why they are named after an Alice in Chains song. And yes I listen to helmet.

And if you guys are turning this into whose the real metal bands thread. Then I need to add Metallica, Motorhead, and Anthrax. And just for musical talent alone Dream Theater.

Don't judge a band by record sales or how many people follow them. Some obscure band no one's ever heard of can still be one of the best bands ever to play. Just because we've never heard them doesn't mean they are any less talented. You guys should do some listening on www.cdbaby.com.

----------------

On 8/14/2005 6:53:51 AM BobbyT wrote:

Don't judge a band by record sales or how many people follow them. Some obscure band no one's ever heard of can still be one of the best bands ever to play. Just because we've never heard them doesn't mean they are any less talented. You guys should do some listening on www.cdbaby.com.

----------------

Ain't that the truth! For me, the best example is Sonata Arctica. Who the heck has heard of these guys? Yet, they are probably one of the best bands, in my opinion, that I've got the pleasure to see and hear in recent years.