Rear Proj. CRT vs. Plasma/lcd/dlp

mowntnbkr

Our 27" 15 year old mitsubishi has finally died, what a great tv it was. Now we are ready to get into the 50+ " tv. We (SWMBO and I) were ready to buy a dlp, but after doing some reading I am not so sure that the new technology is the way to go. I have seen pic of "spider webbing" in lcd, latency issues and a heck of a lot of moving parts in dlp plus the bulb issue (hear some are only getting 500 hours on them instead of the advertised 8000) and burn in and picture fade with plasma. Now we are thinking RPCRT might be in order. The picture seems to be great, cost is less and reliability seems to be a heck of alot better. I am sure I am opening a can of worms, but we would like something nice and reliable to go with the new heresy's and re 12 that are on the way. So without further ado......... let the debate begin!

Sam

The flat panel displays are pretty, no doubt about that, but I went with a Toshiba 51" CRT RPTV. The price was good, the picture is great, and it's a mature technology. I figure it will last me well until whatever quirks are remaining in the new technologies are worked out, and by then their price will be down too. In a few short years they will transition from being "the newest latest and greatest whiz-bang thing" to "televisions."

LCDs are good, but response rate is an issue. Plasmas should be out of the questions before you even start.

I was never a fan of Rear Projection, because I find that it lacks the crispness, color saturation of front projection. Plus, the viewing angles kinda suck.

DLPs are the way to go if you can afford them.

Check out www.avsforum.com for all you ever wanted to know...

There are certainly a lot of things to consider when chosing a technology.

Not a lot of moving parts in DLP besides the fan and color wheel unless you count the million or so tiny, hinged mirrors on the chip. But all those tiny mirrors...makes you wonder doesn't it? My guess is that if they work when they get to you they don't have any greater chance of failing than the active elements in a LCD or plasma set.

I think once you get past the infant mortatility stage DLP bulb life is reasonable unless you have a power failure which the set is on and lose the cooling fan while the bulb is hot. Bulb prices have come down to around $250 or so.

By "spider webbing" do you mean "screen door effect"?

There is a lot to be said for CRT rear projection. The biggest downside is the size of the set. The other rear projection technologies allow for a smaller footprint.

I've had a 65" Mits CRT based RPTV for almost 3 years now. With standard analog cable input the image

quality is somewhere between so-so and ok. With DVD input the image quality is somewhere between great

and excellent. With over-the-air (free) broadcast HDTV the image quality is somewhere between stunning

and looking through a window . . .

Check out the forums at http://www.hometheaterspot.com for lots of info

Malcolm,

Hopefully this link works , http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/137540.html but I have seen quite a few pics like this that have me wondering. Aslo up here in AK we get power outages on a fairly regular basis. We had two bald eagles fighting and they came down across two powerlines.....well we lost power for quite a while after that one, so maybe for that reason dlp is not a good idea. Plus is the color wheel noisy and how prone is it to wearing out?? I have seen some awesome deals or rpcrt. The new sony KDP-57WS655 looks pretty sweet. I wonder how it stacks up against the toshiba's and mitsubishi's?

Yeah, what Olorin said... he's right on the money.

I have a buddy who sells that fancy flat screen stuff, and he said they last about a year. And definitely DON'T hang them on you ceiling (you certainly DON'T see that ad around anymore, do you?!).

I too have a Mitsubishi RSP tv, big and relatively cheap until the technology becomes more robust and the prices drop to "reasonable" or at least "competitive".

DM

I have the 61" DLP HDTV.. If it is not on at least 8 hrs a day I would be surprised.... day in day out an incredible TV.

Regular tv signals are so so at best, because it is analog to a HDTV signal.....

That said.....

Digital is pretty good.

DVD's very close to HDTV depending on the movie at 1080i amazing!!

HDTV Is just amazing!! You will see yourself watching crazy stuff just because it is in High Def..LOL..

You will not be dissapointed if you do your research and have it at home to really home test it. The Ovation Avia DVD calibration discs will do what some people charge 500 to calibrate it for you..(I know a lot more to it with real calibration equipment and $$$ too... but pretty darn close here...)

OK, So you get I am sold on it. People come over n drool. You will too. Nice thing is like some have said.. plasma fades, gets yellow.. LCD plasma too pixels go out..and they will..

a DLP goes bad..(99% a bulb too) pop in a new light 200- 250 dollars.. a new TV.. 5 min do it yourself..

PS a lot of the arguments against "DLP rainbows" were true early on.. The last 2 years or so I think basically all 99.9% gone.. Every TV has limitations.. But the DLP's look really really good IMO. a "CRT" projection HDTV yes will produce better blacks.. but you also need a very very dark room to enjoy that too. Again compromises...

No doubt the CRT is THE value out there... In reality you are getting the best pic available and also it's the least cost. They are almsot never setup well in the store (which makes them look aweful compared to the digital high priced displays)

The biggest issue I have with ALL the digital displays out there Plasma, LCD, DLP you name it... They all have macro blocking/dithering/picture noise issues.... It is extremely annoying to watch.. After you see a nice smooth CRT it will drive you nuts. Funny most people don't notice it until it's pointed out to them. However you don't need a keen eye. My wife the other day crusing through the local bix box store asked me why all the $5k and up displays looked aweful compared to what was at home. She said I thought these new ones were supposed to be better.

2.gif

• Moderators

WE have a 65" hd toshiba crt. 65H84 6 months old. under2k

It is very bright, 5 big windows in the room no problem, you can vue at almost 180 degrees no different than any tube tv . I have seen some of the ones that if you are not sitting directly straight on it was not worth watching.

Compare for yourself the are all not the same. If you can try to find a toshiba crt and see for yourself.

When i started reading and comparing it came down to mits,hatichi?,toshiba in my price range.

I talked to service people and read a lot of reviews these were the best for picture and reliability.

At the time i was doing this some of the newer models/brands had not been out long enough for alot of reviews like samsung ,lg and a few more .The brand had been around but they had not been building large tv's for long.

I have an Infocus 4805 and the picture is stunning! Especially watching HD content. The so called screen door effect can happen if you are to close, say 8-10' from the screen. My first row is 15' and I never get the effect. The nice thing about a front projector is you can grow in screen size as your room changes. If you have a large room then go big right off the bat. Besides nothing beats a 9' diag. screen

That's my 2 cents.

scooter

You may need to move quickly if you are looking for a RP CRT. Most of the vendors are slimming their CRT's down to one or two models. I wasn't ready to replace my 45" CRT but as Mitsubishi will reportly only offer one model in their 2006 line, I may have to look into the 2005 65" model. My personal opinion is that the newer technologies need another year or two to mature. Of course, like everything else in audio and video, everyone must decide for themselves what looks / sounds good to them.

Just be careful with Rear Projection CRT based TV's. They still burn in where DLP and LCD does not. The rainbow affect DLP was driving me nuts, so, I got a Sony HS51 LCD front projector. Sure it has some motion artifact, but I can live with it until I get a scaler. As for the light bulb, I save on bulb hours by watching regular TV on my little 15" Sharp Aquos that sits on top of my center channel (RC-7).

JBR

Haven't head much about dlp color wheel being noisy. I am sure it could get noisy if the bearings went bad. All of the rear projection units produce some noise because of the cooling fan. Manufacturers try to minimize the noise. But, practically, if you move air, you will make some noise.

Some folks with dlp, or for that matter, LCD or LCOS, rear projection systems plug the unit into a small UPS so it stays powered long enough for the bulb to cool down. But I don't know if this is really necessary.

Link didn't work, but by spider webbing, I think you are referring to what you see when the glass substrate of a LCD flat panel display breaks. I have seen this in laptops subjected to abuse, like being dropped. It is a possibility in any LCD flat panel device. I have never seen it in a flat panel desktop display or TV. But it is a possibility if things are flying around your viewing area. Do you have a three year old in your life who is likely to take up golf in your viewing area? Is so, I would have similar concerns with a plasma set. Of course, with a three year old, nothing is safe. I read a post somewhere from a guy whose kid decided to wash his rear projection set. Didn't work too well afterward.