Teac Tripath... 15 minutes in Audio Hell

codhead

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that... As a SET listener I had a similar first impression - where's the bass, and why is there so much background hash in the sound?

The answer is in the proprietary circuit that allows the processor to learn the switching characteristics of the transitors, and this takes time. After a few albums the bass was there in spades - low fast, distinct and not boomy. The background hash faded away after about 10 records through the system. Don't give up on it yet. Just give it some time. This is one of the few components that really needs to "burn in" in order for the circuits to behave to specifications in the long run. And be sure you have the little volume pots turned all the way up.

The instructions don't mention the "learning circuits"... some internet sites do.

I bet if you bear with it a little longer it will start to change your mind.

Paul

Well, classy of you to go ahead and let Shawn still have it. My experience was the same upon first listen. It was decidedly pedestrian. After leaving it on for a couple days, it sounded much better. Bass is very good, though from 200Hz on up, every tube amp I've heard destroys it (even mediocre units). The Red Wine mods are tempting...

To my ears the stock teac sounded pretty good. Especially with a Peach

preamp driving it. I've heard the Redwine mods. They are good.

But, to my subjective sense of bang for the buck, not a good deal. For

the total cost of $500 + shipping, I'd rather put my money in tubes.

The answer is in the proprietary circuit that allows the processor to learn the switching characteristics of the transitors, and this takes time. After a few albums the bass was there in spades - low fast, distinct and not boomy. The background hash faded away after about 10 records through the system. Don't give up on it yet. Just give it some time. This is one of the few components that really needs to "burn in" in order for the circuits to behave to specifications in the long run. And be sure you have the little volume pots turned all the way up.

The instructions don't mention the "learning circuits"... some internet sites do.

paulin has been mislead....

....totally baloney.

The Tripath circuit has no 'learning circuit'.

It is a basic D class amp. (see here: http://www.classd.com/oem_products/products/class_t.htm)

I can almost guess where this comes from by reading Srajen Ebaen's fanciful description of the Bel Canto.

You can also put together a much better, modern Class D amp, for the same price as a (mediocre) modded Tripath Teac.

.....just an idea....

Mark

TEAC is the commodity line from this manufacturer.

TASCAM is the industrail line. it would be interesting if TASCAM had a TRIPATH amp.

I have forum member LEOK design implmentation of the TRIPATH and it is nice as a back up. It is nowhere near the soundstage and realism of tubes though.

Interesting info from the linked page. I disagree with his 5 out of 10 rating for sound quality. I'm going to give it a solid 7.5. His comment about EMI makes me wonder if the unit is very sensitive to where it is placed. This might explain the wide disparity in opinion about the sound.

The Teac was very quiet at idle. No background hash with the music

paused. I can best describe the sound as being similar to what you

would experience with a very low-end CD player. Keep in mind that this

was a head-to-head comparison of a $100 SS amp against a $9,000 tube

amp. I'm probably a little jaded from what I'm used to, but I'd still

have a hard time characterizing the Teac's sound as anything

approaching smooth.

Dean,

Not sure if you have already had the mods done on your Teac--but have you looked at this guy:

http://www.boldercables.com/Store.asp?m=TheBolderCableCompany&n=10&k=134306&s=+MODIFICATIONS

He mods it keeping the AC intact--if that option interests you. Besides that--not sure how he differs from Vinne/RWA....

I think the disparity in opinion you mention is just the normal variation in perception of sonic qualities. If you plunked down a QSC, or a Bryston, or a VAC in front of a sample of Forumites you would have wide disagreement.

Add to that the clear sticker price disparity...and that almost assures wider divergence (see codheads post above and the assumption of correlation between price and subjective perception).

Once a mod removes the Teac/SI OEM stumbling blocks--i.e., the sub Tripath spec parts which limit freq. resp--the Tripath amp will only differ from a cheap Topaz (or a mid-priced WAVAC) in subjective choices of who likes what sonic colorations--but it will sound the equal of either in any objective measure--most likely better.

Mark