Poll: Yae or Nae on the continued use of these colored balls...cast your vote!

jt1stcav

I think the 'ball' scale was webmaster's way of keeping the 'number of posts' in a graphical form without the use of phrases that many thought trite or demeaning. There apparently was an outcry to keep number of posts in force, as it is usually a rough indicator of Klipsch experience and sometimes helps when advising less experienced members or when considering when to take the advice of others.

I personally don't find anything silly or offensive about this graphic scale, would you like to see the number of posts vanish also or is it just the scale you find silly?

I think that last gold ball lights up at 5,000. DeanG has over 10,000 an has all balls lit. There appears to be no change to the scale after a ludicrous number of posts.

It's a fun thing, maybe not as fun as being dubbed 'answering machine', but lets enjoy and not take the Forum THAT seriously. After all, Klipsch could ban some of our rather silly avatars. It's little touches like this that give the Klispsch Forum PERSONALITY.

Michael

Michael, thanks for your vote, and for your opinion. Much appreciated.[:)]

To answer your question, I would NOT like to see the post count vanish, just this silly ball scale.

And believe me, with everything going on in the world today, I'm not taking the forum THAT seriously...just thought I'd have a li'l fun.[<:o)] After the tragic events from Hurricane Katrina, the stampede in Iraq, our troops still not home, and soaring gas prices throughout the land, I need to vent a little, and these ridiculous balls are on my hit list![8o|]

I agree with Michael. A graphic representation is better than the meaningless phrases. I disagree with dropping the number of posts; combined with the length of membership it's of some use in evaluating the quality of the post.

We've all seen cases of individuals who have an abundance of free time and flood the forum with inane posts. Thankfully, most of them have relatively short attention spans and move on to annoy others elsewhere.

Jt,

Not to be too picky but I am not miffed at the balls - mystified but not miffed. As it happens I think I have now got the idea of what they are. When I move my mouse over them a little text box appears with "Top XXX posts" or something like that.

Someone with one blue ball is a top 500 poster, 2 - top 250 and so on. Parrot is a top 10 man. In other words they are a measure of how prolific a poster you are in relation to others as opposed to merely in numeric terms.

As it happens I quite like them - it is, at least, a novel idea - so I voted in favour of keeping them.

To quote Bonn Scott...

Some balls are held for charity

And some for fancy dress

But when they're held for pleasure

They're the balls that I like best

My balls are always bouncing

To the left and to the right

It's my belief that my big balls

Should be held every night

Personally, I liked the "demeaning" tags - rather humorous...

It is humorous to see to what lengths folks will go to to find a debate!

The use of the word "humorous" is what I was striving at...let's have some fun! It's not a life-or-death issue, and I won't lose any sleep if the balls never disappear. It's just a humorous poll, NOT to be taken seriously. There's no need to make an issue out of it.[;)]

But again I respect your view..."Who cares?" It's fine to ignore them, too (and I should've included that in the poll as well).

Glad you cleared that up, Max...I don't want to put words in your mouth.[:$]

Paul, I know their mission and why they're there. But regardless of how we all feel, we both can agree that we want all our troops home NOW![O]

Paul, I know their mission and why they're

there. But regardless of how we all feel, we both can agree that we

want all our troops home NOW!

I'm not following your thoughts here. Bringing the troops home NOW

would be playing right into the hands of al-Qaeda in Iraq and likely

giving the entire country up to terrorists. You certainly don't want

that.

I don't want the troops home NOW! I don't personally know *any*

Democrats or Republicans who want the troops home NOW! Senator Feingold

did call the other day for U.S. troops to leave Iraq, but even he

wasn't talking about NOW, but the end of 2006, and he also clarified

that date as maybe needing an extension.

The troops don't want to be home NOW either, which is why there are

record re-enlistments. The Iraqis don't want us out NOW either, because

they aren't ready yet.

On the other hand, Saddam loyalists and assorted terrorists would be

overjoyed if our troops were home NOW! Considering that the US has not

lost a single mission or battle in Iraq, it would make things a heck of

a lot easier for the enemy, wouldn't it?

I hear you, Paul. I understand what you're saying (remember, I too was in the US Army for 6 years, so I understand the importance of why we're there). I support our men and women in uniform, and I know that our forces will most likely be there for a very long time. I'm not saying to pull out of Iraq and let its citizens fend for themselves against Al-Qaeda and Saddam loyalists, and that everything our troops who have fought and died for was for naught!

"Hypothetically" speaking, we would love nothing better than to have every American soldier back home with their families...that is what I meant. I should have chose my words better, but then I didn't expect that part of my statement to be taken literally and then opened for debate. For that, Paul, I am sorry.

To quote Bonn Scott...

Some balls are held for charity

And some for fancy dress

But when they're held for pleasure

They're the balls that I like best

My balls are always bouncing

To the left and to the right

It's my belief that my big balls

Should be held every night

Personally, I liked the "demeaning" tags - rather humorous...

I'm with ya Griff, this world needs as much humor as we can muster in this day and age. Nice lyrics, off the top of yer head I presume?

Michael