Who is content with their system?

richieb

I agree (plus my two younger brothers who live with me have their own HT setups, so I surely don't need one).

I'm content with my components...maybe a new belt-drive 'table, MC cartridge, and a tube phono stage...what I miss is not using my classic Cornwalls due to the tiny spare bedroom my system now resides in. Once I am able to relocate my entire 2-channel audio system to a much larger room in the house (and install my Cornwalls once again so they can breath easy), then I'll be completely content!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love my system, I'm feeling the urge to upgrade and get into some more serious equipment. My current system was my first foray into the world of "better than department store" audio. My Sony ES CD (which my wife purchased 13 years ago before we were married) recently needed a new optical lens. Funny thing is, it sounds as good as new! I'd like to get into vinyl as well, so I'll need at least a turntable and phono stage. Unfortunately, it's hard to justify spending money on audio when the wife has other ideas, like buying new vehicles.

Dale

I think this is a continual evolution/experimentation.

I like the benefits of time and phase alignment which I'm about to add. I'm interested in the future of digital amps,DSP and digital all the way into the speakers. I'm also interested in line arrays with power woofers, subs and new tweeter designs.

Today I have a more traditional setup. I would like to compare the Blueberry Extreme to the Melody 1388 as I think a great tube pre will be a step up for now until the digital stuff evolves.

Vinyl, tubes vs CD, DSP, and digital amplification :)

It's cyclical for me. I've rediscovered tubes over the past few years and finally understand what the allure is. I'm bouncing between collecting guitar amp/cabs, studio toys to play with, assembling an HT system in the bedroom, nice little system for kitchen and another one for the two front parlors that has 2-channel HT/HiFi/studio monitor functions. Goal is to slowly get what I want that will keep me satisfied and occupied for the next 30 years. How's that for a middle-age dream?

I'm done with guitar/studio stuff for the moment focusing a bit more on HT. Now that I'm hearing Cornwalls are being revived, I'm thinking I want a pair of them for my little parlor system and move the RF-7's upstairs to the bedroom HT system to go along with the RC-7 I just ordered. Sounds like a lot raves over the new LaScala's being released, but having grown up listening to lots of jazz/rock on the old ones and then moving on to KG-3's and now the RF-7's, I've learned that I like that 35-40hz range without resorting to sub-woofers. Suspect I'm in a minority on this one...

Can anyone tell me what price range I'm looking at if I want to upgrade from stereo 60 watts triode to the 120-150 watt range? I'm trying to sort out how impractical this is for my budget or its' a pipe dream. Also, does anyone know what the power handling capabilitiy of the new Cornwalls are?

I thought I was done when I had just 2-channel rig but moving into HT has changed that. It seems endless options abound now from remodeling to new equipment. As far as speaker acquisition goes I am just looking for a set of Klipschorns, mid horn change out and crossover upgrade. I have tinkered with the idea of getting/building/moding 2 set's of CW's to accommodate Altec 811's for surround duty but I am not really committed to that idea. I may look to exchange my HII's for original Heresy's but again no real commitment there. I do need a subwoofer set up. As far as electronics - probably a TT upgrade one day and a move into separate pre/pro and amp rig. My Yamaha is nice but it cannot hold up to a good separate rig, and it never was intended to be a final stop. A decent 5 or 6 disk CD carousel. Then there is new cabinetry/furniture oh yeah the opportunity for endless mountains of debt abounds.[:D] Oh yeah I forgot to add acoustic treatments and new trim and decor work as well.

Today, I am. But it is still early. It never sounds the same twice. I always seem to have a lot of baggage with me when I go back to the music room.

If I am there, alone, late at night, it is glorious. If I invite a discriminating visitor, it sounds like the PA at the bus station.

It is two distinct systems, depending on whether the door to the hall is open or closed.

And why do I always imagine that it is my gear? Maybe it was a crummy recording. A dud CD sounds infinitely worse on good equipment.

And I could go on and on.

I don't expect to change anything major. I tweak something almost daily. Let's face it. It is an illness.

DRBILL

From a home theater perspective: I would not change a thing about my system. It's a good as it gets as far as I and my friends and family are concerned.

From a 2-channel music perspective: I wish I had room for either a pair of La Scala's or the new Cornwalls and a nice tube amplification setup. But alas....that's not gonna happen in this tiny house, and we're not moving any time soon.

From a home theater perspective: I would not change a thing about my system. It's a good as it gets as far as I and my friends and family are concerned.

From a 2-channel music perspective: I wish I had room for either a pair of La Scala's or the new Cornwalls and a nice tube amplification setup. But alas....that's not gonna happen in this tiny house, and we're not moving any time soon.

I'm curious about your reason for not having a simple 2-channel tube system...

I know what you mean about small spaces (and I absolutely love your small house HT setup...it's magnificent!) as I have my 300B SET audio system in a tiny 12' x 13.5' x 8' room that once housed my Cornwalls. You may have read that because IMHO my Cornwalls need large spaces to sound their absolute best, I've put them up in protective storage inside a walk-in closet and am now using bookshelf loudspeakers in this room (wish I had RB-75s or even Heresys, but I do enjoy my horn-like Loth-X Amaze single-driver monitors). My Cornwalls just sounded way too harsh and shrill no matter what amplification I've used in this tiny room, so smaller bookshelf speakers are the only way for me to go (now all I need is a sub).

I know you wish for a place to use either the La Scalas or Cornwalls for a stereo-only setup. Unless you have a formal living room that you don't want to disturb by adding audio equipment to existing furniture, do you have a spare bedroom or a den/office/family room that you could use? As much as you have it in your heart for La Scalas or Cornwalls, would you settle for Heresys or RB-75s (and a small sub) instead? If for instance you used one of your kid's bedrooms, a very simple 2-channel tube setup would work out great; a tube amp/preamp or integrated amp, a CD/SACD/DVD-A "universal" player, maybe a turntable (if you're into spinnin' vinyl), and Klipsch bookshelf monitors or Heresys (which you recently won, correct?), and a small subwoofer...it wouldn't have to take up much floor space if the components were place on a small audio rack (or even a cedar chest or bedroom dresser for that matter) with your Klipsch monitors on stands at each end and a small sub tucked away in a corner or beside a bed or nightstand.

I think it could work out if you're willing to find the space for a tube audio-only system, just not with La Scalas or Cornwalls unfortunantly. The entire line of Klipsch bookshelf horn speakers are efficient enough for any PP or SET tube amp IMO, and if the only source you need is a high quality CD player, how much simpler can that be? Maybe invest in a NOSValves-restored vintage tube integrated amp instead of an amp/preamp combo (this is quite do-able, and Craig will fix you up right). I think you could do this, and have a simple vacuum tube stereo system in your small home that you could enjoy as much as you do your fabulous HT!

Just something else to think about...[;)]

I am totally content with my main two channel system. I am working on my Khorn system now. I have a nice pair of rebuilt Mark IV's, that need a good preamp. I think with a Merlin I could be done for years to come.HT has been done for awile also.

I have a Pioneer SX1250 coming for my sons room, to replace the HK430, then I think he is done to. What a great feeling to be able to quit spending money on gear for a little while.

Someday I may be content with my main system. I'm pretty happy now but would like a better TT. It's hard to believe how expensive a good TT is! I have to save lots of pennies. I also want to refurb my MC240 so it's at its sonic best. I'll do that pretty soon as it's not nearly as expensive as a TT and should yield benefits for all tunes. Then I might refurb the MX110 for the same reason....

I don't think I'll ever be totally satisfied as I want to try out various combinations. At this point though, I'm not talking about my main system but just stuff to try out as secondary and probably end up moving on to someone else at some point...unless I hit that perfect combo :))...Fisher, Scott, Marantz, Voice of Music, Grommes, Harman Kardon....various receivers, pres, amps, etc just to hear what each sounds like. Then there are combos with speakers - Klipsch, Altec, JBL, Dynaco, KLH, AR, etc. Well, I want to try them all!!!

Almost! I am approaching the law of diminishing returns for investment.

The short list of wants:

-DeanG xover upgrades for the front three speakers (not sure why I am waiting)

-some sort of power conditioner (more research)

-TV calibration (going to happen in a few months anyways)

-to fix my Pioneer DVD player to play high-res audio (time and effort)

Down the road:

Rotel RB-1090 and RMB-1095 (because nothing exeeds like excess).

I am so happy I ended up with Klipsch and not some of the other brands I was looking at before I started this journey a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure just how much music I was going to listen to before I bought everything but as it turns out that is what I do most!! I know this is a two-channel forum (and please save the flaming for later) but I thouroughly enjoy Harman's Logic 7.1 for 2ch stuff. It just sounds great in my living room (not that 2ch sounds bad, in fact, just the opposite). Oh yeah, with the same speakers I also happen to have a top-notch home-theater(my opinion, of course)!!

For the money I've sunk in this system, I doubt I could start over and approach what I have now. Not even close!!

Would do it all over again? Absolutely, and in a nanosecond!!!