Who is content with their system?

richieb

Yep, I am done. I am very happy with what I have,
both 2ch
and HT. My last setup lasted me for nearly 30 years so I will probably
hang on
to what I have for a while. Though what I have is not the "best of the
best" it is good enough that I am content. It all works well together
and we know how important that is to the overall sound of the system.

2ch:

Klipsch Cornwall 2s

Preamp, VTL Ultimate

Amp, Sonic Frontiers Power 1 with TungSol 6550s and Jan
6dj8s

Turn Table Regga Planar 3

Arm Grace 747

Cart Grace 9F

Sony cassette tape deck

Pioneer CD changer

Yamaha tuner

7.1 HT:

Mains Klipsch Forte1s

Center Klipsch Heresy 1

Surrounds Klipsch Heresy 2s

Back Klipsch Quintets.

Yamaha RX-V 750

Source HTPC

Projector Hitachi PJ-TX 100 (I still need to get a screen for a proper image)

A large pile of assorted gear still is taking up
space. To include Yamaha integrated amps, Yamaha tuners, Fisher 400 receiver,
B&O 1900 TT, turntables, amps, preamps, speakers etc.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "prospective audio enhancement DZ" is crippling. The problem is everytime I listen to forum folks and install their advice...I'm extremely pleased....and content.....until I read about more advice...that could be applied into my "content" system....then I'm curious and less content.....and I research and spec out the enhancement(s)....and the wife rolls her eye's...and I start scrounging about for more $$$$.

I think there are degrees of contentment, it's all relative.

Very happy with system as it stands. Cannot imagine changing out the power amps or preamp. Tweaks to the TT and perhaps upgrading the SCAD/CD player are posibilities.

I havent heard a system that I though sounded better (different perhaps) to my ears and music taste than the Mac / Peach / Belle (with Dean G crossovers) combo.

Have thought a little about changing to the Blueberry - mostly for shelf space reasons - but i love the sound of the wright phono stage. Compared it to many before buying and i am sure i would miss it.

no doubt that there is a hobby aspect to this audio thing...there can also be a collector aspect if you like vintage equipment. However, I have been able to separate these aspects to date, I am VERY happy with my system.

Do I covet other equipment? sure. Do I continue to try other things, sure...it is fun, part of the hobby. But my main system, my bedroom system, my family room system all are VERY satisfying and all the other audio activities are hobbiest-related-

well, maybe I would like a DD-18 to enhance bass extension and slam in my k-horn system...lol

tony

no doubt that there is a hobby aspect to this audio thing...there can also be a collector aspect if you like vintage equipment. 

Yes there is the obvious facination with vintage gear. While I am content with my main system, I do continue to covet and buy stuff I do not need. Recent additions include a Stereotech receiver, Dynaco ST 70, Pioneer Reel to Reel, and way to many speakers! Like colterphoto, I do not have time to listen to all of it. Most gets an audition in my garage system and then sits on the shelf. Sickness? Maybe. But pretty harmless!

I will probably never be "done". I am satisfied with most of what I have for the time being. For me it is slow incremental improvements over time on a more or less continuous basis. The key being "over time". This may mean years for some components, but the process seems to continue.

The funny part is the one constant over the last 25 years has been the Klipsch speakers. Everything else has gotten replaced at least a couple of times. All I have ever done to my speakers is buy more of them and upgrade the networks.

Content, yes; complacent, no. I have reached the point of diminshing returns with four CW IIs in my HT set up. One of these days I want a center made from Klipsch components, versus the home-made MTM I am using now. As I've said before in this and other forums, the audio-tweaking industry relies for its existence on middle-age men with decling hearing and rising, or at least ample, disposable, incomes. Once the hearing rolls off and the disposable income rolls up, these guys (including me) are in the zone. Can be cheaper than collecting cars, keeping a mistress, or gambling. More fun than these, I say.

I thought I was VERY happy with my Cornwalls. Just couldn't imagine my system sounding any better.
That was until I received an email out of the blue from someone who said that I told him 3 years ago if he ever wanted to sell his Khorns let me know first. They are the best looking pair I have ever seen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Well Thursday I rent a UHaul and go pick them up.

So in a nutshell I think you are happy for awhile and then wham you have your checkbook out again.

Danny

New house (soon)

New living floor with dampening

New drivers

New crossovers (bi-amplifier?)

New acoustic panels?

Bass shaker?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Then maybe I will be done[;)]

I don't think I will ever be content with my main system, if by "content" you mean not thinking about changing anything. I am ALWAYS thinking about changing...something! It's almost a sickness, and one I really can't afford anymore, what with three kids (7,10 and 12) and a (mostly) stay-at-home wife.

Now, my secondary rigs -bedroom, family room and living room- are strictly low to mid-fi and I do not obsess over them at all. I just tweak as necessary and replace things when they break. But my main A/V rig in the dedicated music/HT room, AKA "Dad's play room", that's another thing altogether!

If a person stays with 2-channel, I think it's easier to be contented, but with A/V, change is so rapid in the industry, there is always something bigger, better or newer just around the corner to tempt. -Pretty good reason to go back and stay 2-channel, actually!