What do you do for a living?

kenratboy

Maintenance Controller for one on the nations biggest Regional Airlines. We have 261 aircraft and working our way up to 279. We take delivery of 1 to 2 new aircraft per month. we fly anywhere from 1200 to 1400 flights a day.

The Maintenance Control Department coordinats all the maintenance activity that goes on with our aircraft and keeps our operations people updated with the status of the fleet. What this means is that if an aircraft is being worked on we are involved in some manor, whether is just keeping up with a return to service time or instructing a mechanic on how to fix a problem. One of the most difficult tasks is when we have a pilot call from a base where we don't have our own maintenance people. We will get a rundown of the problem from the pilot and then call a local mechanic and have to talk him thru the troubleshooting proceedures to get the aircraft back in service.

I have been working on aircraft since 1981 and have been with this company for 18 years.

Steve

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Process Technician for Kodak. I make the stuff that forms the image you see when you get a picture printed on color paper. Although the market decreased for a while there seems to be a real surge in people getting their digital chips printed on color paper. They take the chip to a photo processor and get beautiful pictures on color paper and the empty chip back ready to fill up again - reusable film. It's an idea thats growing in popularity (thankfully).

On a side note, if colterphoto prints his pics on Kodak color paper there's a good chance I had a hand in making it.

-Mark

I manage "Superfund" site environmental investigations and remediations - i.e., I run clean-ups of "toxic waste".

Currently managing sites with contaminants such as chlorinated solvents, PCBs, and depleted uranium (actually, one site has all of those).

prior to that, I was in the US Navy, and parallel parked a 65,000 ton, 900' long battleship, and place 5" 70 pound projectiles on targets < 14 miles away, 16" 1,600 pound (or 2,700 pound for the armor piercing version) projectiles on targets > 25 miles away, or cruise missles on targets up to 1,200 miles away.

I think we had this same topic just a few months ago.....I could be mistaken.

Currently: Software Support Analyst/Web Developer

Past 25 years: Automotive Product Designer

Before that: Millwright, Concert Sound Engineer/Musician, Firefighter, Auto Mechanic

To sum up: Jack of all trades

Hobbies: Filmmaking, Home Theater, Ornamental Gardening

I work for a specialty printer/publisher where I administer a farm of

ten servers and manage the application that provides us with digital

workflow automation and computer-to-plate printing capabilities.

I also serve as the prepress technology lead and assistant color

manager for our plant. Mine is one of five printing plants in the

company's printing division.

just adding to 22 years of 'downstream' experiance

Estimator/project manager for local commerical construction company specializing in retail petroleum equipment installation...

AKA we renovate, repair & build tank farms, bulk plants, truckstops, gas stations and c-stores w/ gas

I don't have one of those jobs that makes me want to jump out of bed every morning. Quite the opposite. I commute over 3 hours/day and have been for almost 20 years.

My goal in life is to retire as soon as possible. In the meantime, I suffer as Vice President of Corporate Strategic Planning for a $15 billion bank in the MD/DC area. When I started this job in 1986, we were a $2 billion thrift.

I don't have one of those jobs that makes me want to jump out of bed every morning. Quite the opposite. I commute over 3 hours/day and have been for almost 20 years.

My goal in life is to retire as soon as possible.

Bummer. What happens if you die tomorrow? Would your life be wasted?

I don't love my work. I don't hate it all the time either. I do try to have fun every day. I think it's important to experience joy and happiness as often as possible. Music is one of those things that does it. I'm thankful for my Klipsch to make that part happen.

I hope you can retire soon.