Why Klipsh in the first place?

jpm

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone read the review of the Wilson Maxx 2s in Stereophile? Those monsterous looking behemouths , which cost about 10 times the price of a pair of new Khorns, had some of the worst freq response plots I've seen from JA. Yet both the reviewer and JA loved them when proprely placed in the middle of the room 4feet from this 6 feet from that......

Why? Lack of distortion due to their efficiency. Sound familiar?

I love my low distortion, beautiful, tweaked, Klipschorns singing a beautiful "you are there" song in their corners. [pi][:D]

Rick

One big reason. My old JBL's (L60's) sounded great with everything that I listened to and any source. When I bought my K Horns, I then began to hear things in the music that I never heard before (instruments, etc). After much tweaking, my system not has imaging and presence that teh JBL's never could reach. The horns are on a different level at a relative bargain. I had a similar experience with electrostats. When set up right they just sing.

I am doing some work on my Lexus right now and driving my Ford Ranger. Man do I miss the Lexus. Never missed it before I bought it, but now my truck just doesn't do it. Similar experience.

Chris

I think most hi-fi enthusiasts talk themselves into believing that there is no life without their system, but let's face facts-- For most, this is a pleasurable, albeit expensive, hobby. As with many other hobbies, hi-fi seems to be male-dominated and guys just love to tweak, tinker and tune. If not speakers, wiring and amps, it's likely valves, injectors and dampers, cameras, lenses and strobes, or combinations of the above.

Do horns need tubes, wires, room treatments and tweaks? Probably not any more than any other system does. Most guys would still be tweaking if they had speakers made from apple crates, tin cans and paper clips. That's the nature of the beast.

A gazelle and cobra arrived at a dangerous, flood-swollen river at the same time. The cobra asked the gazelle to carry him across the flood on his back. The gazelle refused, saying the cobra would surely bite him. The cobra assured the gazelle that if he did that, they would both die, and that would be stupid. So the gazelle let the cobra slither up on his back and they started across the river. Halfway across, the cobra gave a mighty hiss and bit the gazelle squarely in the shoulder. "Why did you do that? Now we will both drown." The cobra moved in a way that the gazelle took as a snake shrug and said "I can't help it. It's what I do."

What's a Klipsh? A new brand? Are you referring to Klipsch perhaps.

dont we all just love it when someone has nothing better to say or do than point out a spelling error. As though they are perfect people above reproach, with an attitude that they are somehow better because they can spell. I beleive everyone on this thread knows the originator was speaking about klipsch, leave it to you Frzninvt to point out the trivial mistake with your "IM BETTER THAN YOU ATTITUDE" god knows you never make a mistake because lets face it you are perfect in your oun mind. Joe

Yes, there are plenty of awesome speakers out there that a tweaking audiophiles can hook up and get busy with, but not with out super expense.

The

problem with the few cone loudspeaker systems in the $2-5K range that I

have seriously auditioned, in my own home, with my own equipment, for

EnjoyTheMusic.com, is that even with tubes, wires, room treatments, and this and that,

they still fail to communicate the excitement and emotion of music.

Except for single driver systems (which have their own set of

problems). Moreover, even single driver loudspeakers still fail to

capture the fast attack of a note, the thrill of a sharp crescendo and

the gentle darkness of a silent passage in music.

The

extremes we go to tame horns are required by any audio system to get

the last syrupy drop of 3D sonic realism. We add a sub to get the deep

bass of instruments and movies. We dampen the source to remove

vibrations and jitter. We fit the right amplifier to the speaker

because of the variegation of impedance loads. We treat the room to allow each system to sound its best.

And we question, argue and spend all in the name of the quest: the search for audio nirvana! [8]

THIS

IS ARGUABLY THE FINEST, MOST ON THE MARK POST EVER PRESENTED TO

THE KLIPSCH FORUM. KUDOS TO YOU COLIN... YOU'RE MY HERO!

WHAT MORE CAN ONE SAY?

Colin got it right. With the Klipsch models all you need to add is a

little equalization, either electrical, or acoustical by working a bit

on your room. With most other speakers you're fighting any number of

other things that you have a difficult to impossible time fixing...

dont we all just love it when someone has nothing better to say or do than point out a spelling error. As though they are perfect people above reproach, with an attitude that they are somehow better because they can spell. I beleive everyone on this thread knows the originator was speaking about klipsch, leave it to you Frzninvt to point out the trivial mistake with your "IM BETTER THAN YOU ATTITUDE" god knows you never make a mistake because lets face it you are perfect in your oun mind. Joe

Joe, I think many if not most of the "spelling corrections" are written in jest and never take them syrialessly.

I plead guilty.

Rick

Being the the spelling/typing challenged group I just say Amen to that.

Craig

Almost every commercial speaker that leaves any factory can be improved. The designer has to compromise different things to get the sound he/she wants out of the box. Most crossovers are mounted in the box, but this is often seen as a compromise. Look at the parts in those crossovers? Very few speakers use the very best components. Do you want bass extension or efficiency? Every decision (barring an unlimited price point) is a compromise.

Many of the things that the folks around here do are probably not cost effective for Klipsch to do in the factory (either too much labor or parts are too expensive to meet the price point.) Thus, many folks around here tweak different parts of their speakers. One of the nice things about the older Klipsch Heritage models is that they are relatively easy to modify (Cornwalls entire rear panel can be easily removed and replaced.)

But, Klipsch has a sound that is dramatically different than most other loudspeakers. That's the initial draw. No one would be here if these were white van speakers!

Audio is a taste issue, IMHO. I assemble components that make music as I want to hear it, or as I remember hearing it when played live.

As many have said you either love Klipsch speakers or not...I think that is true of all components. Horn speakers have a house sound, not that they all sound the same but that they have much in common, expecially when compared to cone speakers. So you consider/audition, Altec, JBL, Klipsch, etc. to find your weapon.

Klipsch speakers have a house sound, I find it hard to think anyone would deny that. Heritage speakers, my weapon of choice, have a distinctive sound; when our new friend Ka7niq began asking about how to improve the sound of his "woody" sounding klipschorns I was tempted to say "hey man, that´s the sound, love it or leave it".

I then repented because IMHO there is nothing wrong with tweaking your system, many tube roll, or swap a tube for SS amp or visa versa, etc., etc. all in order to find their perfect musical sound. I have swapped crossovers in my klipschorns and have enjoyed the results, some day I will do further mods to my speakers to get closer to my ideal music. Lurch had it right.

Maybe it is possible to find perfect speakers, I have not found them yet. I know I like horns (with panel/ribbon speakers a close second) most, Klipsch gives me the most bang for the buck right now...

Why Klipsch? Because they serenade me with the best music I have heard to date.

Regards, tony

• 5 years later...