Well, I have $1000 right now!!! Earn all by myself thank you very

much. Anyway I am going to be buying an upgrade for the system. What

will make the biggest impact in my system. Which is as follows,

Speakers: Klipsch RF-3's

CD Player: Total POS from 1994

Amp: Teac A-l700p (not bad), I am using the volume control on it

Misc: Monster Power hts 3600

Now my question is which of these choices will make the biggest impact,

A level one moded Jolida 100a or a Shanling Stp-80 Intergrated amp.

Both are awesome pieces from what I hear, and I have heard the shanling

and LOVE it and the looks are killer. However which is going to be best

for the system?

I am also open to other idea's for new gear that will help in my price range.

Thanks

James

IMO it's a tossup. Are you happy with the sound of your Teac? Is the CD player really crappy sounding?

If you can live with the CD player for now, then I'd replace the Teac with the integrated Shanling, which I think would be the best decision soundwise.

If you can live with the Teac's sonics, then junk the CD player and buy the JoLida JD100a.

Flip a coin if you still can't decide...

Good luck!

To easy!

You buy Mark's Merlin and run it with the Teac. Just do it.

Yank the networks out of your RF-3's let me change the caps. I know you're young and have to make this money stretch. Just cover the parts and shipping I'll waive the labor. About $85 or so I think -- I'll have to check the schematic.

Maybe someone here from the forum would be willing to pull the volume control board from the TEAC and do whatever has to be done so you don't have that card between the Merlin and the output section of the TEAC. Anyone?

You replace the CD player with pretty much ANYTHING. Someone here should be able to give you some good recommendations for inexpensive players in the $200 or so range.

You can attack three major weaknesses in your system at the same time with that money.

Dean's got it figured out for you![;)]

Go to AudioAdvisor.com and pick up a new Cambridge Audio azur 340C for $249 (or a demo for $212). It's the li'l brother to my 640C, with a Crystal 24/96 DAC, and it sounds awesome for the price!

With a Merlin pre controlling your Teac, and with Dean's crossovers for your RF-3s, you'd still have money in the bank.[:D]

Well let me voice my concern. The rf-3's were bought to hold my system

over intil I upgraded all of my components then I would sell those, and

some money and buy a mint pair of cornwalls. So I am not sure if I

should upgrade the x-overs, but dean gave me an atractive offer. As for

the merlin, I do love it, but here is the thing, I play alot of sports

and do physical things all of the time, and so I want to sit back and

relax while listening to music. I have to change the volume alot

because of parents walking into room or phone calls. So the remote for

the shanling is very aluring. As for the cd player, mine I can live

with, for now. I mean it would only be another few months intill I

would have the money to buy it.

I know I shouldnt be lazy, but that remote is very important, since a

great deal of listening is when I am too tired to walk, let alone get

up and keep changing the volume. I fell that is my determining factor.

I know I should make my money go futher, but I am tired of settling for

second best. I am not sure if you guys know the feeling, but for once I

would like to get something that I want, not just something I have to

get because of budget. Now with that being said, I have found a deal on

a perfect jolida 100a, slightly moded, with new tubes, and extras to

boot and sound damping material. And a deal on a shanling almost new

shanling for $950 + shiping. Now lets forgo the question of different

gear, and now I ask which of these too will make my system sound better?

Oh and I made it seem like I didn't like the merlin, well I do, and I

plan to buy one for the second system sometime in the future, but I

need that remote.

Hey, Buddy.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. I know the Shanling looks great. It retails here for around $3000. BUT...

Don't buy on looks alone. Some reviewers give it a beat up. Others, not taken in by the looks, are more honest. Sound quality is only just average. Nothing special.

You can do better for your money. Much better.

Buy a Merlin. $599. It's a steal.

Then you can upgrade with a suitable power amp. I'm not a fan of the Teac. But driven by a properly designed preamp, it'll preform much better than what you've got at the moment. Then look at upgrading your source.

OR, you can buy a refurbished classic tube amp. Check out NOSValve's website. Give him a call before you buy anything... Please.

Edwin

Well let me voice my concern. The rf-3's were bought to hold my system over intil I upgraded all of my components then I would sell those, and some money and buy a mint pair of cornwalls. So I am not sure if I should upgrade the x-overs, but dean gave me an atractive offer. As for the merlin, I do love it, but here is the thing, I play alot of sports and do physical things all of the time, and so I want to sit back and relax while listening to music. I have to change the volume alot because of parents walking into room or phone calls. So the remote for the shanling is very aluring. As for the cd player, mine I can live with, for now. I mean it would only be another few months intill I would have the money to buy it.

I know I shouldnt be lazy, but that remote is very important, since a great deal of listening is when I am too tired to walk, let alone get up and keep changing the volume. I fell that is my determining factor. I know I should make my money go futher, but I am tired of settling for second best. I am not sure if you guys know the feeling, but for once I would like to get something that I want, not just something I have to get because of budget. Now with that being said, I have found a deal on a perfect jolida 100a, slightly moded, with new tubes, and extras to boot and sound damping material. And a deal on a shanling almost new shanling for $950 + shiping. Now lets forgo the question of different gear, and now I ask which of these too will make my system sound better?

Oh and I made it seem like I didn't like the merlin, well I do, and I plan to buy one for the second system sometime in the future, but I need that remote.

So don't be lazy and get the Merlin.

Good call, Kev.

Also, I'm not sure that the Jolida is the way to go either. That's a lot of money tied up in a source that may not improve on the sound quality offered by cheaper options. Some of the better brands like Sony and Marantz offer some superb sounding products that also play SACD.

Some CD players have a built in volume control. Buy one of those.

Also I've had three Jolida tube products. Each have caused me endless reliability problems. Quality control isn't the best. They may have final assembly in the U.S., but they build their stuff in south East Asia.

Well I have read all the reviews I could find, and all the reviewers

said the same thing, killer value, killer midrange, rolled off high (

which I like to tame the horns) and slow but over all good lows. I just

have to try it, and for the deal I am getting I can turn around and

sell it for no loss, so I have nothing to loose but time. If I find I

do not like it I will sell it and buy a merlin and get off my lazy butt.

The old advice is still true: The speakers will make the biggest difference. The CD player will make the least difference. The "misc" (speaker wire etc) will make no difference. The amp is tricky. If it is large enough (depends on whether the speakers are efficient and do not require much current - i.e., not low impedance) then most solid state amps will sound fine (if it adequately sized and it is quiet). Tube amps will have a different sound - some folks prefer that sound.

For loud music in a large room, then choice of amp may be trickier to find one that is adequately powerful (unless the speakers are an easy load). Note, this not simply a matter of Watts - there are also issues of headroom and being able to provide adequate levels of current (again depending on choice of speaker, listening preferences and room size).

Focus on the speakers! Then the effort should be spent on setup (this is not always expensive). They should positioned carefully (and this can take quite a bit of experiementation - but the effects are real). After this spend your energy on treating the room. Invest some time in learning about "room acoustics 101" and then tackle the listening room. Issues at mid and high frequencies are more easily taken care of (carpets, drapes, carpet padding, furniture set up etc). Issues at lower fequencies are more difficult and may cost a modest amount of money (but please educate yourself first).

These are not "sexy" solutions, and others will disagree. However the effects are real. Small changes in speaker location and room set up will yield very noticeable changes in sound. The trick is determining whether the changes are for the better - it does take tweaking and experimentation, and most importantly, some time spent educating yourself about room acoustics.

Good luck,

-Tom

Good Day,

Well I am the proud owner of an stp-80 and I love it. ait has blown me away with it's very non-fatigueing warm sound.

I am very surprised that you want this amp. A short time ago when I posted that I was having problems with mine you made it clear that "not to bash your choice, but Chinese amps will always break". Those ar your words.

I am not trying to start an issue here but I was wondering what made you change your mind. I would reccomend the shanling without hesitation and I hope you do get it.

Delano

Well delano, I came to my senseses deciding I cannot judge something based on where it is from. It is in a way racist, and not far to the company.

LMAO!!! That's the funniest response I've seen in months! Never mind things like future parts availability, workmanship, material quality...