Tube amp question

RTTR

Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced yet good performing

2-channel integrated tube amplifier that is a new item, made in 2005

OR.. a place that sells reconditioned and restored amps of good quality for a good price that any of you know of..

Everyone keeps telling me if I get RF-7's I can't fully enjoy music

unless with I run them with tubes, but tubes are freaking expensive.

not true, but you do need a qiuality amp as the sprkers are so effcient that they reveal everything.

ASL sells new integrated tube amplifiers, but I would check frequent Forum poster NOSvalues refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers first great deals in amplifiers!

Many people on this first forum got into tubes by going the refurbished route, myself included. You can find very good value and great sound by buying a vintage integrated tube amp and having it rebuilt by a qualified tech.

The resident expert on both vintage purchases / rebuilds / mods, and new tube power amps as well is Craig from NOSvalves. If your serious about wanting to get into tubes in a cost effective manner, give Craig a call. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.nosvalves.com

On the new side of things, if you are into separates, a fantastic line of new cost effective tube preamps would be at Juicy Music Audio. Many on this forum have combinations of both Juicy preamps and NOSvalves custom power amps. Juicy has a great entry level tube preamp called Merlin, and Blueberry and Peach are just fabulous for the money. Mark Deneen is the guy you would be looking for there.

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/

Good luck.

I second Guy's suggestion with this: Prima Lunas -- now also sold in a couple of power amp variations have gotten extremely good reviews. But no, I haven't heard one for myself. Reviewers have not failed to mention very high build quality, coupled with obvious skill and expertise associated with the actual wiring of the amp. (not trying to bring up old ghosts, I promise!) Really, I'm just mentioning what I have read, but again I haven't heard this amp for myself. The latest issue of TAS I received contained a review of the Prima Luna, and like every single other one I have read about, said extremely positive things. Art Dudley also spoke very highly of the Prima Lunas. They may be very hard to beat for the money, although I know someone who rebuilds Dynaco equipment with superlative skill and aesthetic sensitivity. Pricewise, also very, very hard to beat.

Erik

Many people on this first forum got into tubes by going the refurbished route, myself included. You can find very good value and great sound by buying a vintage integrated tube amp and having it rebuilt by a qualified tech.

The resident expert on both vintage purchases / rebuilds / mods, and new tube power amps as well is Craig from NOSvalves. If your serious about wanting to get into tubes in a cost effective manner, give Craig a call. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.nosvalves.com

On the new side of things, if you are into separates, a fantastic line of new cost effective tube preamps would be at Juicy Music Audio. Many on this forum have combinations of both Juicy preamps and NOSvalves custom power amps. Juicy has a great entry level tube preamp called Merlin, and Blueberry and Peach are just fabulous for the money. Mark Deneen is the guy you would be looking for there.

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/

Good luck.

Mark 1101,

Have been holding my tongue for almost two weeks concerning the Merlin. Mark Deneen has been kind enough to provide an extended stay Demo Merlin. I will post my thoughts as best I can when Merlin goes home.

For now, let me say that this little no-frill, bare-bone preamp is "entry level".........ONLY in price.......

Regards,

Terry

Terry,

I know what you mean. I've read that Merlin is almost a Peach electrically, and I know what that sounds like. So, I can only imagine how sweet Merlin really is. I certainly didn't mean to connote any negativity calling it entry level. My fault there.

Actually, nothing with that kind of sound should be called entry level. Enough said.

PrimaLuna amps are very good and not too expensive http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=36

For that kind of money, why not get VRD's. The provide twice the output, are certainly better looking (at least to me anyway), and have garnered nothing but rave reviews by everyone that owns them. Besides that, Craig makes them with the Klipsch owner in mind.

PrimaLuna amps are very good and not too expensive http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=36

For

that kind of money, why not get VRD's. The provide twice the output,

are certainly better looking (at least to me anyway), and have garnered

nothing but rave reviews by everyone that owns them. Besides that,

Craig makes them with the Klipsch owner in mind.

The link was to an INTERGRATED amp. You know, one with the pre-amp and

power amp in the same box. With that detail in play, the VRDs would be

much more expensive- with the addition of a pre-amp.

The power amp model, has auto bias, something that is literally plug and play. $1045 is pretty cheap. Buy some 6550s or KT88s later and just plug them in.

Bruce

Auto bias is a negative not a positive of course this is IMHO (which I believe I have a right too)

Of course you have a right to that opinion. I didn't say otherwise [:)]

But... a lot of folks just want to plug it in and turn it on. I don't

mind checking and adjusting the bias myself, but many others may not.

Bruce

Of course you have a right to that opinion. I didn't say otherwise [:)]

But... a lot of folks just want to plug it in and turn it on. I don't mind checking and adjusting the bias myself, but many others may not.

Bruce

Marv,

The things between the ( ) were not pointed at you. I often get hammered around here by a few that think since I'm in Business I shouldn't share my opinion. Which I think is a pile of ........

• 1 year later...

Dear RTTR.

I have the same "prob" the other way around. I've got three fine tube amps and look for a speaker that will fit perfectly. It seems for $$ reasons and enough space in my room to be the RF7 will be best choice instead a K'horn.

My experience was that the tube amps I have are more "emotional", made the look into the music a lot deeper and more natural. By the way I'm not one of the "warm-tube-sound" lovers. My amps are all really neutral, maybe analytic.

When you think that tubes or tube amps are expensive then have a try to find a transistor amp with all the sound-skills of a tube amp. You will pay $$ and $$ more in my opinion. Keep in mind the you will not need a very expensive tune amp with 100 watts or so. The incredible sensitivity of the RF7 will let some 6 or 8 watts more than enough as long as the power-supply of the amp is good. I think for having some impressions look on second hand market. But please buy no cheap produced devices. Look for some solid built ones with some years on their back.

For myself I run two amps with 6C33C triodes and one with EL-509. They all have around 6-8 watts as single ended amps. More than enough for my 89db horns. With your RF7 you will find a new dimension I think.

Regards from Germany

Stefan

"Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced yet good performing 2-channel integrated tube amplifier that is a new item, made in 2005
OR.. a place that sells reconditioned and restored amps of good quality for a good price that any of you know of.."

Partsexpress sells two models in the 800 price range.