Do I have Deco Corns?

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff you could re-veneer the motor board in birch to match the rest of the speaker or make the front a different wood for a contrast.veneering the motor board would be easy project but would need to take speaker all apart so drivers dont get damaged while your in there doing that you could do memebers ideas on bracing the cab. and crossover upgrades.Rick

DUDE, that's the same exact paneling I have in my hearth room where my main HT is setup. Knotty Pine, right?

Those speakers look very cool in there. very woodsy look. When was your home built?

Is that a Khorn in PINE or original fir plywood? with surface mount grille? Very interesting, it goes exactly with your paneling in the home. I like it.

post-10755-13819276130386_thumb.jpg

DUDE, that's the same exact paneling I have in my hearth room where my main HT is setup. Knotty Pine, right?

Those speakers look very cool in there. very woodsy look. When was your home built?

Is that a Khorn in PINE or original fir plywood? with surface mount grille? Very interesting, it goes exactly with your paneling in the home. I like it.

That place looks vaguely familiar. You've been busy Colter?

Travisc:

Yes, starfleet command says no black. Used a product called "Band-it" red oak veneer with very small amount of miniwax stain. It came with hot melt glue on the back. Not an easy job but it does stick good. About 7 coats of clear polyurethane. Polished with fine buffing compound and foam buffer after wet sanding with #1200 paper. You can get it to mirror finish but not recomended because after about 6 months the in between grains shrink so stick with the stoned finish. This is true even on 1/2" thick red oak plywood which is on the top of the K-horns only.

Cotterphoto:

The paneling is knotty pine and the house was built in 1934 as a cottage.The stair railing is a slab of redwood stump about 8-9 foot long. The original K-horn was fir plywood and I applied the "Band-it" stuff mentioned above. If I would do the job again I would use some other product or even cover it with 1/4" veneer and glue it with the white glue. Although the Band-it was real handy going around the corners, you still had to watch how hard you applied an electric sander as it would generate enough heat to melt the hot melt glue (400 degrees) and the sucker would pop up and to get it to level again was almost impossible. Had to do some areas three times, ripping it off each time and using new veneer.

JJK

JJK,

They still look very nice. Here's hoping you won't have to ever do them again.

Michael,

The kitchen in our last house had the knotty pine paneling. Makes for a

very cozy room. Costs a fortune to buy that stuff now. Is that a new

pic of your house after you've been cleaning up? [;)]

Bruce

Jeff,

It is possible that those staple dents could be steamed out. You need

to talk to a wood repair guy someplace, but someone on the JBL forums

had dings that he used alcohol on and steamed them to rainse the dents

back up. He had pics of the work, but I can't find them now. It was

amazing how well it worked.

Bruce

I have alot of that same tongue and grove pine paneling. Michael, this is too interesting. You're a Klipsch guy. You have a house on 2 wooded acres in the city. You have tongue and grove pine paneling for some of the walls. You like Santana's "Moonflower," which most people have never heard of, and you have a Crown Microtech 1200. Ever heard of the "Doppelganger" theory?

I have a pair of '73 vert deco's that look just like the brochure above posted by Travis. It must have been a fad back then to staple grill cloth to them beause I found mine in the same condition. The grill cloth was stapled in a couple of places and held more securely by what I remember as "quarter round" floor shoe molding. It was a long time ago, but I ripped those baby's apart on day one they looked so bad. Now at least they look like when they left the factory.

I have alot of that same tongue and grove pine paneling. Michael, this is too interesting. You're a Klipsch guy. You have a house on 2 wooded acres in the city. You have tongue and grove pine paneling for some of the walls. You like Santana's "Moonflower," which most people have never heard of, and you have a Crown Microtech 1200. Ever heard of the "Doppelganger" theory?

Nope, but you're in Ohio, I feel a couple of road trips coming on.....

Dern, now I've got to go spend an hour on internet looking up Doppelganger theory LOL

EDIT- HOLY COW, okay, you can come over sometime, but if my cats freak out, I'm calling the cops! LOL END EDIT.

Michael

Nope, but you're in Ohio, I feel a couple of road trips coming on.....

Dern, now I've got to go spend an hour on internet looking up Doppelganger theory LOL

EDIT- HOLY COW, okay, you can come over sometime, but if my cats freak out, I'm calling the cops! LOL END EDIT.

Michael

Michael, see a couple pics I posted on 20 Watt Amp thread. On the last picture, you can see some of that tongue and groove below the old masonite siding I haven't replaced yet with Hardiplank. As you can see, the tongue and groove was used on the exterior, also. It did not weather outside well. There's lots inside on the left half of the house downstairs that's in pretty fair shape. A re-staining will be just fine - when I get to that half of the house. Right now, we're going to re-hab the right half interior. Then, go to the left. The room with the pine is about 35x35 downstairs - 1 big TV room with an enclosed utility room in the back right corner. Read the post I made close to the end in the same thread to see my life's challenge during the last year. I'm proudly re-habbing our new old house.

Don't have any pics of inside, but you can see a little of what we've been doing outside. Plus, we did alot outside first before coming in. We at least needed to get the part facing the street out of the way first. Fun... fun... fun... When I get done (if ever [:)]), a road trip is in line. Have to come during a summer to get out of the Houston heat wave.