Need suggestions for buying a TT for around $500

jwc

Guys,

I'm wantin to pull out my vinyl collection which hasn't been played in years. I want to give the TT sound a real testing but only want to start with about a $500 expense.

It looks real easy to pick up one of the Technics SL-1200MK2's off Ebay. I know they are build like a tank and have a great sound quality for the Buck. Great reviews on audioreview.com. If I were to buy one used, this model I think would be easy to find parts and service. Is that right? Nrvous about buying something used with moving parts and I have little knowledge of TT.

My wife has tried to talk me into the newer version the SL-1200MK5. This is about $500+ new w/o a cartridge. If go this route, would like suggestions on a cartridge.

Also looked at the Music Hall Turntables. They seem to get good reviews too. The MMF-5 comes in about the same price as the SL-1200MK5.

My system will be a McIntosh preamp MX119 and MC252 SS amp.

I appreciate any input.

Now i know I may get flamed for this...but a new technics 1200 mkII is $400....its an amazing table for the money...speed is perfect, it weighs 26 pounds...i'd put it up against any table under$1000 period.

No flames from me. I'm running the original 1200. Found it cheap for $100 with cartridge. Liked it better than the Thorens table I was running. A new 1200 would be a nice table, but I don't see a need to buy new. Lots of good condition 1200's on the used market, and since they're built to take a beating, I wouldn't really worry about buying used from a reputable seller.

Besides, why spend your whole budget on a vinyl test drive. You might get back into vinyl and find out it makes you crazy cleaning records, and flipping them over every 15 - 20 minutes. Save your money now, and you can always splurge later if you decide to stick with it. Which, of course is another good reason to pick the 1200 as your starter table; no problems reselling/getting your money back out of it if you decide to upgrade, or get out of vinyl.

But, if you decide to stick with it vinyl, I could also see sticking with the 1200 for a nice long time!

I have a classic wood base Acoustic Research turntable that has been sitting in a box for 10 - 15 years. My guess is that it would require a new belt because of age and certainly the stylus would probably need to be replaced. I was psycho once upon a time and paid hundreds for it plus a $225 cartridge, blah, blah, blah.

We had a garage sale during the Summer and I actually managed to sell about 1/2 dozen classic rock albums for about 50 cents apiece. What does that tell you about people and their turntables?

Make me an offer.

So far these comments have been helpful. I did see the 1200MK2 new at guitar center or Musician's friend for $399. Does this include the cartridge?

I know diving into vinyl may be a chance but I can't see me ever selling or throwing away my collection. Too many memories and lots of it isn't available on CD or from download.

If I have to buy a cartridge, any suggestions. Someone already mentioned the Shure.

If you go with the already mentioned Music Hall MMF-5 it will most likely come with a cartridge, because they were sold that way new. Be sure and check with the seller.

I did the same drill you are contemplating about 10 months ago. Wanted something decent to see if I would get back into vinyl, but did not way to remortgage my house. I found most on the contenders on my radar (300-600 bucks) came with a cartridge.

I bought a used MMF-5 and have been happy with it. If you can seriously get a used one for 350 I can't see looking any further. I paid $450 for mine and thought it was a fair price for both seller and buyer. Mine was pristine, owned by a guy (total nerd) that was more picky about condition then me. He actually wrote Roy Hall (founder of music hall) to complain about the lack of transparent-ness of the dust cover (btw it looks fine to me). Roy wrote him back saying that was one way to save on cost and they would rather put the money into the table. He saved the email traffic and gave it to me...like I said total nerd. Bottom line I think you would be better off with a used table like a Rega, Music Hall, Project. Only problem with used is that they are a precision instrument, so you need to get some comfort level from the seller.

Check out this thread it has two pages of the same info you probably want to know http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/523457/ShowPost.aspx

Let us know what you decide and good luck.

How good is the cartridge that comes with the MMF-5, is it professionally mounted at the factory and ready for playing?

The Goldring 1012GX is a fine cartridge. I bought mine used so I can't say for sure about it being mounted at the factory...but I think they are factory mounted and ready to play out of the box new.

After about 6 months of using the Goldring 1012GX I switched to a Dynavector 20X. My thinking was that some day I would probably upgrade the table and this way I would already have a nicer cartridge (plus I was wanting to buy something). I do think the Dynavector is more musical. I hear more detail and clarity. However, if you figure I went from a 500 total set up (cart/table) to a 1000 dollar set up (new cart same table) I did not double my pleasure. The jump from CD to vinyl was WAY more of a leap then from one cartridge to the next, as would be expected by most I think.

My seller removed the cart. and packaged it up carefully. While it is time consuming to attach the cartridge to the headshell, hook up the wires, align the cartridge, level the table, set the VTA, adjust the azimuth, etc. it is not all that difficult. Being the way I am I doubt I would trust the factory set up anyway and would still check/adjust things myself.

I have a gift certificate to Amazon.com. You can get a Technics here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003005A/qid=1134160109/sr=8-12/ref=pd_bbs_12/103-1517548-5975019?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

Anyone know what the "PK" means in Technics SL-1200MK2PK

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sl1200mk2.asp

They look like they come with a needle.

Now i know I may get flamed for this...but a new technics 1200 mkII is $400....its an amazing table for the money...speed is perfect, it weighs 26 pounds...i'd put it up against anytable under$1000 period.

A lot of info in the archives on this debate on the 1200Mk II. It's a bullet proof beast but I dont think it equals the sonics of other options under 1000. Just my personal opinion based on living with four samples of the table for near eight years at work and home. I will say it's a no fuss table but in the blackness of background and low noise floor department, there are some belt drives with better bearings and potential arms that will outdo the 1200 Mk II. The 1200 Mk II had a beast of a DD motor that could bring the platter to speed in less than a quarter rotation, alway good for station use. UIltimately, the fact that the motor is more directly coupled to the spindle/platter was problematic. Add to the fact that the table uses quartz lock PLL speed control, which brings constant minute adjustments and you have some other sonic foibles. While one might claim that you cant perceive speed changes with this arrangement, it does affect the overall reproduction which is why so many used filtered line control for speed. In my opinion, some of the better belt drives would be a better buy. IF you are going to spend near 400-500 on this, I would bring a few more options into the mix. Buying used TT and arms is always a bit more risky than an amp or speaker but if you find someone that is trustworthy, it's a good option. Shipping is a major hassle and sometimes damage can occur in this phase.

There is tons of info on table recs with pictures and opinions galore in the archives here, along with the Vinyl Asylum.

kh

I like the 1200MK2 for its durability reputation and resale ability.

I will explore this option.

I may run by this place which has the best reputation in Atlanta. They are the ones that can do the great mods on Jolida and Shanling products. Check it out. Do these prices seem resonable for Music Hall. They are the same as the other dealer in Atlanta.

Underwood HiFi<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/retail.html#Anchor-Legendar-47515

MMF-5 [$629] - turntable

MMF-5SE [$799 special price] - upgraded version of the MMF-5

MMF-7 w/o cartridge [$999] - turntable

MMF-7 with cartridge [$1,199 - call for special offer with free ringmat] - turntable

MMF-9 with cartridge [$1,699] - turntable

Well, I have to agree with you on one thing. You will ALWAYS get someone to buy the 1200Mk II as even DJs are still looking at this table. And I will admit that it's pretty much bulletproof. I had a Linn LP-12 and a fully tweaked Yamaha YP-D6 with a custom mat made for it and I actually thought the 1200MK II was not as 3 dimenionsal nor did it exibit that BIG airy aspect of vinyl when done right, this one of the things that brings it over digital, IMO. BUT.... It was VERY competent and the mk II version has the VTA adjustment dial. In addition, there are some loons out there that can offer tweak ideas for the 1200 mk II. It's just I am not a big fan of DD tables and the tonearm is no big shakes.

But to be honest, perhaps it's the right choice for you to just explore vinyl. IT's surely one of the easiest tables to setup. IT has a pretty propulsive and powerful presentation, if slightly more flat sounding(compared to others of higre pedigree). Again, some the rich quality of the better belt drives is a bit MIA. I would surely use a better mat.

If you peruse the archives here, you will see I made a host of recs on tables, including a run that got some people into the Music Hall MM7 when they offered a great deal on it, this from Underwood HIFI. I think several ended up getting the table including NOSValves and Chris Robinson. At the time, it was a good deal. Getting in the 1000 range withouy a cartrige is NOT as much so, unfortunately. Many have been more disappointed with the MM5 althought it's a good deal for the ducats if you get it with cartridge for the Parrot range price.

On the other hand, on Audiogon, there are used bargains with better tables that come down in that range. And one table not mentioned too much, the REGA PLANAR 2 or 3, offers by FAR the best tonearm, and one that can be upgrated and put on a much better table down the line. Indeed, this the modified Rega RB-250 and RB-300 are GREAT arms for the ducats.

If you DO get the 1200Mk II, try to get a deal on a quality cartridge which makes or breaks the presentation, in my view. Actually, there is so much good info on turntable setup and decisions in this forum from the past. There were a host of detailed posts on this subject a few years back.

I currently have three differnt tables that use three different theories of operation, each having their strengths and weaknesses. To be sure, the road down the analog trail brings much more involvement, both in the effort and in the experience, even compared to top flight digital (to be sure, digital has come a long way, however, in the studio and playback chain). You will be rewarded if you put some time into it. Unfortunately, it's one the easiest of the mediums to bring mediocre sound if you dont get the setup right. Many people with a ho-hum reaction to vinyl have simply not heard what it CAN do at its best. I have had some top notch digital systems and currently have a very musical setup but the vinyl experience is still the champ in musicality and stirring the emotions with involvement. And vinyl, tubes, and horns have a special place in the playback experience.

kh