iwillwalk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

md1032, You have never been in one of these cars by that statement. The

auto can shift faster than you can even think about doing in a stick

car.

Nice car, though it is only worth half as much as it would have been with a matching numbers block.

Ya, I would trade all my Klipsch for the car, I can always replace them, these cars are getting rare!

I've never understood this fascination with old junky cars...

That thing is almost 40 years old. I wouldn't take it if someone

offered me $500 to park it in my driveway for them. For the

absurd amount of money being bid, you could buy a new, well,

practically anything that would smoke that old Plymouth. Have you

ever driven a car that old? Lousey steering, no brakes, can't

handle worth a darn, rides like there's cement in the shocks, gulps

gas...

I'd take a 10 year old Geo Metro over that thing...

FOR THOSE OF YOU IN DOUBT HAVE NEVER BEEN IN ONE OR JUST MAD CAUSE ONE SPANKED YOUR LITTLE MUSTANG OR CAMARO.MY 68 GTX 440 AUTOMATIC WOULD SPIN THE TIRES SHIFTING INTO 3RD @ 100 MPH!!

PUT THAT UP AGAISNT ANYTHING ON THE ROAD TODAY

A GEO METRO IS THAT WHAT YOU DRIVE NOW?

NOTHING WOULD BEAT THESE OLD PLYMOUTHS

RICHARD PETTY WON THE DATONA 500 IN 1970 IN THE SUPERBIRD

DODGE HAS BUILT THE FASTEST PRODUCTION CAR EVER BUILT IN THE 60'S

NOBODY COULD TOUCH THEM

Not all of us want to street race, as most of us are law abiding citizens.

You must have a pretty low end klipsch if you would trade it in for that.

A lot of people here have amazing systems that would do them more use than a car that could never be used. A geo metro would get you to work in the same time as this car. This car will not cause rush hour traffic to stop.

Nothing to see here folks.

1st thing I looked at was the VIN and saw RS23. Roadrunner is RM23, but then I scrolled down and saw that it was indeed a GTX. I think they just threw Roadrunner in the title to get search hits. Nice car indeed. Price is not out of line. Any Mopar Hemi car is a fantastic investment. That's where alot of investors have been putting their money over the last several years. Mopars are appreciating alot faster than most stocks are. My dad has a 69 Hemi Roadrunner. That car is a blast. I'm more of an E-body guy myself. (have owned 4 of them.) My current ride is a 70 Cuda 340. Wish I could afford a Cuda Hemi car. I would give all my Klipsch for that GTX too!

Jeremy

That thing is almost 40 years old. I wouldn't take it if someone offered me $500 to park it in my driveway for them. For the absurd amount of money being bid, you could buy a new, well, practically anything that would smoke that old Plymouth. Have you ever driven a car that old? Lousey steering, no brakes, can't handle worth a darn, rides like there's cement in the shocks, gulps gas...

My sentiments. Get a new 350ZX......Zowanggg!!!!

That thing is almost 40 years old. I wouldn't take it if someone offered me $500 to park it in my driveway for them. For the absurd amount of money being bid, you could buy a new, well, practically anything that would smoke that old Plymouth. Have you ever driven a car that old? Lousey steering, no brakes, can't handle worth a darn, rides like there's cement in the shocks, gulps gas...

My sentiments. Get a new 350ZX......Zowanggg!!!!

And watch it depreciate in value, while this GTX only appreciates.

Jeremy

For the absurd amount of money being bid, you could buy a new, well, practically anything

Actually that's the beauty of it 10 yrs later, it'll be worth even

more, while that "anything" will be headed for metal

recuperation.

Pretty sweet baiting there, though... guess there will be more old cars for us. [;)]

Nice car, though it is only worth half as

much as it would have been with a matching numbers block.

So true... unfortunately for the seller.

My current ride is a 70 Cuda 340. Wish I could afford a Cuda Hemi car.

Hemi values have pretty much made them toys for collectors though... OTOH, a 340 Cuda is a very nice balanced ride.

ROb

$45k? holy crap

first of all, I don't think anyone could own that much klipsch gear (unless it was a huge house)

and second of all, a friend of mine owned one and I got to ride in it

quite a few times...I can think of many nicer $45k rides (and faster

with better handling too).

I also don't see the purpose of owning a car with balls if you're not

going to use them. Cars like this should be on the drag strip or on the

circuit...not sitting in a garage getting all prettied up.

then there is the 68 dart with a hemi

FASTEST CAR EVER MADE EVER MADE TO ROLL OF THE PRODUCTION LINE EVER

read this

But another option awaited those wanting even more performance. For a special few, Dodge shipped 383-spec Darts (minus Powertrain) along with factory prepped 440 engines to Hurst-Campbell, Inc., a Michigan after-market company. Hurst-Campbell did the conversion, Dodge reps inspected it, and the finished cars were forwarded to Grand Spaulding Auto Sales in Chicago, a performance-oriented dealer. These cars got vehicle identification numbers, but were not covered by the factory warranty. With even more weight over the front wheels and no power steering (it wouldn't fit), the 440 Darts were only good for all out drag racing. Most modified 440 Darts also received additional performance parts such as aftermarket headers, ignition kit, hoses, wiring, and air cleaner.

As if that wasn't enought, approximately 80 Darts were fitted with the 426 Hemi. But this wasn't just a engine swap. They featured a fiberglass hood and front fenders, a front bumper and doors stamped out of a lighter gauge steel, special one-layer Corning Glass for the side windows (which did not meet DOT standards for use on public roads), no door window mechanisms, and no exterior side mirrors, all in an attempt to save weight. The weight saving measures continued inside with the deletion of the rear seat, the radio, and the replacement of the front seats with special lightweight van seats mounted on custom-fabricated aluminum mounting brackets. There was no insulation, no undercoating or sealers were used, and even the right side seatbelt was removed. Under the hood, the brake master cylinder was moved to clear the cylinder head, and rubber brake lines were used instead of metal so that they could be removed for access to the valve cover without disturbing the brake hydraulic system. The actual Hemi engine featured a pair of Holley carbs on a magnesium cross-ram intake. Iron heads (instead of aluminum) were used to keep the cost down. A heavy duty cooling package was standard, as well as headers, but the cars were delievered with no paint -- just primer and naked black fiberglass from the cowl forward on cheap black wheels with skinny tires. Final cost per car was around $4,500, and to make sure that the cars were raced and NOT driven on public streets, every Hemi Dart came with a sticker that stated that "This vehicle was not manufactured for use on Public Streets, Roads or Highways, and does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. But they definitely performed on the track, and would hit 10's in the quarter miles with minimal modification. This would make it the fastest factory built car in muscle car history.

All this car talk reminds me of my long gone 68' 440/RT Charger and my buddies 70' 383/Magnum Road Runner. My old 440 would not wind out very far but it got there it real quick, the 383 seemed like it never did top out.

Fun, fun times, I could pass everything but a gas station. My brother had a 318 Dart and it was pretty quick, I could just imagine what a hemi would do it that thing.