WOW! Look Ma, I'm SOMEBODY now!

D-MAN

Patent application is PUBLISHED (available for public perusal). This isn't an issued patent YET!

You can look it up on the USPTO website under APPLICATION SEARCH...

Here is the cover page> Publication # 20050276431 or Appl# 10/864,657

Sorry about the quality; I had to convert the images to .jpeg and that messes them up quite a bit...

DM

post-13458-1381927820123_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dana, Looks good. Are you going to produce them? Bob

Bob, I don't know - I haven't even really finished the first pair. That's how fast I tend to do things...

Somebody should, though. I question whether there is any real commercial value in it - big corner horns are never going to be "big movers" (although they might require some!). The design goal was to be as versatile as possible with the least number of parts (and work) and still remain competitive with the Khorn or Hartsfield in performance and overall size.

I basically did the patent so I could sell the plans without getting ripped off by anyone better capable of manufacturing them than me, which doesn't take much to be better than me at it, as we know! PWK did the patent thing first, so I took his example as the proven path to follow.

DM

I finally get to know what the "D" stands for!!

If I recall your original horn design thread, that is basically the same

bass bin you are currently using, right?

I see you included a full range Hartsfield type "option"... As unusual

as that may seem initially, I could see some of the full range guys

using this to extend their bottom end.

Congrats, it's great design...

ROb

I finally get to know what the "D" stands for!!

If I recall your original horn design thread, that is basically the same

bass bin you are currently using, right?

I see you included a full range Hartsfield type "option"... As unusual

as that may seem initially, I could see some of the full range guys

using this to extend their bottom end.

Congrats, it's great design...

ROb

Rob! lots of folks that I've corresponded with use my first name, feel free.

That is the same speaker as in my avatar, which is my current set which I constantly blabber about.

Yes, I thought the single throat (vs. the Jubilee's dual 12" throats) gives added versatility for the full-range dudes - sort of a universal bass horn, if you will.

Thank you for the compliments, I specifically tried to stay with the K.I.S.S principle as I thought that its simplicity was one of its strongest and most attractive points.

DM

Outstanding. I want more info. There was a thread on this? What was the link?

The original thread. The speaker in my avatar and the following thread is EXACTLY what is in the patent document.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/476866/ShowPost.aspx

Also attached is a pic of the latest "mod" that is not in the patent document. This mod will be in the next set, should I ever get around to putting them together... I think it is interesting that everything that one does from this point on only increases the overall complexity, and that it becomes a point of diminishing returns. However, in this case, it was only 3 additional parts of easy construction, so what the heck! I should think that this mod is worth doing, it stabilizes the tailboard evern further and is a true Huygen-described waveform reflector. In theory it looks good on paper.

DM

post-13458-1381927820741_thumb.jpg

Dana,

Congrats on the patent. Are these easier to build than the K Horns? If they go up above 500 hz, you have a winner as most drivers (read - JBL) do not go much below 500 hz.

I have an engineering degree and practiced as an engineer for a while before becomming an attorney. I was actually studying for the patent bar my first year as an attorney to get out of my old firm but wound up going in-house with a big real estate developer. I'm still wondering if I made a mistake because I spend all of my free time reading technical manuals, circuit diagrams and building things.

Chris

Are these easier to build than the K Horns?

Each bass cab is comprised of 26 parts, including the access panel and motor board. It takes more wood than the Khorn in that while there are fewer parts, the parts tend to be larger.

The horn is a straight 40Hz from start to finish, the throat size and mouth cross-sections and Vb are darn close to the Khorn, and it can use the same drivers as the Khorn, but not the same crossover.

It's benefits are that it can crossover higher and can use different drivers. i have not done any type of testing on them other than listening to them, but I will go as far as to say that they will hold their own against the "competition".

DM

They are easier to build and they do go higher than the Khorn. It uses

the horizontal expansion all the way instead of the vertical to

horizontal that the Khorn uses. Make it easier to build and doesn't

mess up the waveform as much.