• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maxg wrote the following post at 12-27-2005 7:44 PM:

Take a

break. Chill out. Open a nice bottle of wine, sit down with husband in

listening room, listen to a selection of your favorite music for a

couple of hours (not the system - just the music).

MaxG,

More sense in that quote than previous 20 pages.

It will take me some time to able to hear to the music again but I will.

Thank You.

Yes, I read that and it's not an option. Listen and ignore the issues? Listen and pretend they don't exist? Listen long enough till I get used to it (not going to happen) or I trick myself that it went away? And if I do this for 3 months - the issues might magically be better or go away? All without doing anything? LOL Sure - piece of cake.

Would it be an option for any of you? Would that be acceptable to you? Heck no.

Actually... heck yes. I listened and loved my Heresys for 30 years. I learned through time what is musically meaningful and valuable to me. I think you are going at this way too hard and fast. The key phrase that catches my eye is "All without doing anything?". My recommendation was to give it a few years, not 3 months. You seem too impatient. The dozens of pages already spent on this will do you no good until you know what you really want and I don't think you are there yet. I think the central theme of all these pages is that you aren't there yet, but feel compelled to get finished right away. That is a plan that may be bound to end in disappointment. There is no "fast track" to audio satisfaction because it is a personal thing that takes time to resolve. If you are hell-bent to get it all done right away, good luck to you - but real sucess will only come from luck with this approach. You have asked a zillion questions jumping around from this thing to that thing indicating that there is a lot you would be better served knowing about before making quick decisions. A lot of your questions cannot be answered by others - they get answered by yourself through time. I don't know what else to say - I do hope the KHorns work out for you.

Pauln

My recommendation was to give it a few years, not 3 months.

"nonsense"

Perhaps your Heresy's were sounding perfect to you. The sound I have is not acceptable and I'm not going to live with that. Certainly not for THREE years? LOL I'd rather take a bullet to the head. That's just plain crazy. Why would anyone do that purposefully? They wouldn't, unless they had zero means to attain improvement. And trust me, blaming soley I for this thread jumping around and turning into 21 pages would indeed be misguided. I know exactly how I would fault them. Can I put it into words each person might relate to perfectly? Probably not, but that doesn't mean I don't know what I've a problem with. I actually felt I explained it pretty well. And it's not acceptable.

Doing nothing will not fix it. Doing nothing is illogical. Current acceptance is not an option.

I have been avoiding this thread for some time now because it borders on the ridiculous it has been all over the place.

But 3dZ, I could not let this pass. This really is a great gesture on your part. Nicely done! However they are some nasty looking XOs...good thing they go inside the HF section and not on top. [;)]

I have been avoiding this thread for some time now because it borders on the ridiculous it has been all over the place.

But 3dZ, I could not let this pass. This really is a great gesture on your part. Nicely done! However they are some nasty looking XOs...good thing they go inside the HF section and not on top. [;)]

If I had had more time or I was selling them I think a good coat of paint would be in order.[;)]

Black hammertone?

Rick

This thread has long since past the border of the ridiculous.

This is now "the" model of how not to setup a pair of Klipschorns.

Thanks guys.

Jmon - I'm going to print your post for hubby. Let me understand - did you use BLO or the Watco on your khorns?

What I'm concerned about is darkening them further. They are pretty dark! I'm wondering if straight Turp or Mineral spirits would pull some of the old stain out for me? IDK if I'm seeing stain or the natural color of the wood. Not sure I can lighten them first. Also seller said he put some mineral oil on it at some point which I think isn't best.

I wish there was a pic gallery here to see everyone's speakers with what they've done to them. I'm not finding alot of pictures. Jmon - would love to see yours!

I used the Watco Rejuvinating Oil which contains BLO. The rejuvinating oil does not contain any kind of stain that will affect the color of the wood. However, when applying any kind of oil, whether it's BLO, Watco, Lemon oil, etc., realize that it will make the wood darker as the wood will have a "wet look" to it.

Unfortunately, I don't own a digital camera so I don't have any current photos of the speakers. I will try to get some photos taken with my regular camera and scan the images. To describe what they look like, they will get a bit darker and have a bit of a shine to them. As the veneer dries out over time, they will get lighter and duller.

Saw something on Audiogon that I thought would be of interest to this post. A Krell KSA 300 (Thats class A I believe) which means 300wpc 8ohm, 600wpc 4ohm. Doubles down to 1 ohm, for sale $3000, and $6000 new. Post reads " Used on the most efficient speakers...in the world (could be speakers made?)... Klipsch.

Now why would some one with money like that do something like buy a 300wpc amp to play through his "Most efficient speakers" Klipsch. Especially when we all know he could have the same sound with a set amp or a HK 65wpc.[:D]

In all honesty, if you have never heard a Klipsch speaker, any Klipsch speaker, on a quality SS amp or higher powered tube amp, you really do not know what the difference can be. I currently own and have hooked up: RF5, Forte II, Cornwall, Khorn, SB 2.1s, KG 3.5, Heresys, 6.5" out door speakers, on amps like Mc240 (40wpc RCA blackplate 6L6GC's), SX 1250 (160wpc), M80 (260wpc), M65(165wpc), BK ST202 (200wpc), Mark IV (40wpc Mullard XF2 EL 34's), VRDs (60wpc gold lion KT88's), Scott 299D (22wpc?). Want to come by and hear the difference for your self as more watts are added, whether it be SS or Tube.

Do you really think there is no difference? Let me tell you in the simplest terms what I hear, " More control over the music". The amp takes control and you know what real music can sound like, tighter, deeper bass...faster. It makes the prior amp sound weak, or dull on bass. More pop and snap to instruments, clearer pick on the guitar strings. Sweet highs that go on forever but do not roll off. Oh yeah, you will know when the notes are rolled off. Don't believe, try it. There is no substitute. As mentioned above, most of the list has been moved around so that all speakers have played through all amps and preamps.

As a last testament, and I have no idea his current gear, Ping Smilin. I bet you he has high wattage, very very very expensive gear now. He joined much like you Meagin, but with seemingly endless funds. He bought and upgraded weekly. It would be interesting to know where he has landed.

Smilin...feel free to chime in or someone call him to voice his opinion. He has traveled long, far and fast on a journey to musical bliss..

Saw something on Audiogon that I thought would be of interest to this post. A Krell KSA 300 (Thats class A I believe) which means 300wpc 8ohm, 600wpc 4ohm. Doubles down to 1 ohm, for sale $3000, and $6000 new. Post reads " Used on the most efficient speakers...in the world (could be speakers made?)... Klipsch.

Now why would some one with money like that do something like buy a 300wpc amp to play through his "Most efficient speakers" Klipsch. Especially when we all know he could have the same sound with a set amp or a HK 65wpc.[:D]

In all honesty, if you have never heard a Klipsch speaker, any Klipsch speaker, on a quality SS amp or higher powered tube amp, you really do not know what the difference can be. I currently own and have hooked up: RF5, Forte II, Cornwall, Khorn, SB 2.1s, KG 3.5, Heresys, 6.5" out door speakers, on amps like Mc240 (40wpc RCA blackplate 6L6GC's), SX 1250 (160wpc), M80 (260wpc), M65(165wpc), BK ST202 (200wpc), Mark IV (40wpc Mullard XF2 EL 34's), VRDs (60wpc gold lion KT88's), Scott 299D (22wpc?). Want to come by and hear the difference for your self as more watts are added, whether it be SS or Tube.

Do you really think there is no difference? Let me tell you in the simplest terms what I hear, " More control over the music". The amp takes control and you know what real music can sound like, tighter, deeper bass...faster. It makes the prior amp sound weak, or dull on bass. More pop and snap to instruments, clearer pick on the guitar strings. Sweet highs that go on forever but do not roll off. Oh yeah, you will know when the notes are rolled off. Don't believe, try it. There is no substitute. As mentioned above, most of the list has been moved around so that all speakers have played through all amps and preamps.

As a last testament, and I have no idea his current gear, Ping Smilin. I bet you he has high wattage, very very very expensive gear now. He joined much like you Meagin, but with seemingly endless funds. He bought and upgraded weekly. It would be interesting to know where he has landed.

Smilin...feel free to chime in or someone call him to voice his opinion. He has traveled long, far and fast on a journey to musical bliss..

Tilmbill, you right on the money with your description of sound quality. Alot of these folks refuse to get it and never will. Put your post here on the "Headroom" thread.

Your words:

"The amp takes control and you know what real music can sound like, tighter, deeper bass...faster. It makes the prior amp sound weak, or dull on bass. More pop and snap to instruments, clearer pick on the guitar strings. Sweet highs that go on forever but do not roll off. Oh yeah, you will know when the notes are rolled off. Don't believe, try it. There is no substitute."

Right on! These naysayers just won't get it because words are never enough to them, nor are they even enough to get them to check out what you're saying for themselves. But it's good to know there's a solid handful out there who clearly understand the distinction between what sound quality you get with a serious amp vs. these low-powered amps they proclaim to sound "so sweet."

You can ask that question, but you should probably also ask the question of why is he/she selling it? Wouldn't that answer be more revealing???

I doubt most here will ever embrace a high powered ss amp. I have no problem with that. What I do find odd though, is the absolute denial of the obvious superiority of high powered amps. I think many Klipsch owners like to mask dynamic sounding Klipsch speakers with distorted tube gear, to take some of the edge off the horns. Same with some of the mods being made to the crossovers and such. Why not just run a boring British speaker if that's the sound everyone seems to like?