Is this clipping?

Jeff Matthews

I spent alot of money on some Klipschorns and the sound is not right. Especially on Deep Purple songs, and occasionally on Led Zeppelin, certain notes just sound AWFUL - like either strumming a loaf of bread or tin whistles. I can't tell which. Is that what people mean by "clipping?" Please help me to salvage the value of these expensive, high-end speakers.

I like music pretty loud. I think your ears should ring after a good session when I'm in the mood to let it rip.

If it is clipping, what kind of power in an amp would make it go away?

meagain is pulling your leg I hope. I can only speak from what I know

but I have read some of your posts. For me it's not about raw power.

These Khorns are so sensitive. It has taken me over 6 months with my

khorns to start getting close to what they are capable of. I'm running

2 different sets of amps at different times. 1 pair is 3.5 watts a side

and the other is 18 watts a side. Mind you with these low power tube

amps I use powered subs for fill in but the mid and highs I get are

mind blowing. I had hooked up some nice SS gear and the bass was there

but the mids and highs were unbearable at times. I'm not going to

tell how many amps I have went through in the last 6 months but when

you get it right you will know.

Thanks for following along. In all seriousness, I think anyone who thinks KHorns need to be supplemented with subwoofers have never opened the Khorns up with sufficient raw power. They take alot, and they return it all back - nice and clean.

For example, if you're familiar with Yes's "Roundabout," I cranked that tune, and the bass guitar licks at the end of the song just shook the place - and it was extremely clean. Boing - ying - ying - ying - ying - ying - ying - ying - ying. Imagine EACH of those sub-parts to the note just pounding against your chest clear as a bell.

I'm sure you can get that with one of their subs as long as it is fed enough power. But Khorns will do it by themselves in stereo.

I have gave my khorns Luxman SS amps bridged in mono around 250w a

channel and Marantz SS mono's around 125w a channel . Your right the

Khorns can take a lot in fact it was more than I could take. I

guess it's a matter of everyone ears a different. I'll give an example

also. With my Wright mono's at 3.5 watts a side with the subs in play

at a level like 75-85 db's I can almost feel Mingus's

strings rattle and move the air around me. No matter what we have

one thing in common and that is trying to get the best sound possible.

"I spent alot of money on some Klipschorns and the sound is not right. Especially on Deep Purple songs, and occasionally on Led Zeppelin, certain notes just sound AWFUL - like either strumming a loaf of bread or tin whistles. I can't tell which. Is that what people mean by "clipping?" Please help me to salvage the value of these expensive, high-end speakers."

Clipping can sometimes be difficult to understand and recognizing its characteristic sound takes years.............at the barbers!

You can also pick up tips on comb filtering, artificial colouring and what you need to really make your hair stand on end.

I think those ear ringing sessions have maybe started to take their toll.

Though I can't say if Deep Purple is known for well recorded material.

Anomalies and distortion artifacts that are buried in the noise can be detected by the ear. No black magic here, but I seriously doubt yer clipping the amp.

I think those ear ringing sessions have maybe started to take their toll.

Though I can't say if Deep Purple is known for well recorded material.

Anomalies

and distortion artifacts that are buried in the noise can be detected

by the ear. No black magic here, but I seriously doubt yer

clipping the amp.

Not that its of much import but just to set the record straight.Deep

Purple "Machine Head" on dvd audio would put to shame most recordings

ever made.The clarity and dynamics are absolutely astounding for a

recording of the period.If it don't make a set up shine you might be

listening to Bose 3-2-1.Now,back to the show.

Jeff,

It is clear from this thread ("... till my ears are ringing...") and your other comments in the "headroom"-thread, that you are listening to music that is far too loud.

When it gets to the point that you are producing tinnitus (ringing in your ears), you are also starting to damage your hearing. Noise induced hearing loss is not a joke. The effects are cumulative and the deficits will get worse. I strongly urge folks not to listen at these levels. In fact, I would also urge you to use proper hearing protection when using power tools, motorcycles, lawn mowers etc.

No one wants to be like an old man who continually is saying "speak up" or who simply becomes isolated around others because they can't follow the conversation.

Seriously, I am afraid that this is where you are headed. What damage you have already done is not reversible. What you can do is to simply prevent further damage.

I apologize if I seem heavy handed in my comments, but don't dismiss them. I am faculty at a university and study hearing science. I do know what I am talking about.

Good luck,

-Tom

Jeff,

It is clear from this thread ("... till my ears are ringing...") and your other comments in the "headroom"-thread, that you are listening to music that is far too loud.

When it gets to the point that you are producing tinnitus (ringing in your ears), you are also starting to damage your hearing. Noise induced hearing loss is not a joke. The effects are cumulative and the deficits will get worse. I strongly urge folks not to listen at these levels. In fact, I would also urge you to use proper hearing protection when using power tools, motorcycles, lawn mowers etc.

No one wants to be like an old man who continually is saying "speak up" or who simply becomes isolated around others because they can't follow the conversation.

Seriously, I am afraid that this is where you are headed. What damage you have already done is not reversible. What you can do is to simply prevent further damage.

I apologize if I seem heavy handed in my comments, but don't dismiss them. I am faculty at a university and study hearing science. I do know what I am talking about.

Good luck,

-Tom

Tom, thanks for the serious heads-up. In fact, when I play drums along with my stereo, my ears don't ring. But here and there, I will crank the stereo well beyond "drumming level," and my ears ring from time to time. I didn't realize it was AS bad as what you are saying. I could probably stand to get on a routine for regular hearing check-ups.

What kind of docs give thorough hearing exams? A GP, or no?

Jeff,

Good question.

The hearing test you would get from a GP is typically not very thorough. If you went to an ENT, they would have their audiologist perform the test. At the very least this would be a pure tone audiogram, along with a short history. Depending on what they found, other tests might be required. The problem with an audiogram, is that it tells you about significant damage after the damage has occurred. However, this is one way to find out about hearing protection and what you should be actively doing to help yourself.

Good luck,

-Tom