Did Christmas has some strange effect?

NOSValves

One or 2 minor changes is all:

Instead of recommending tubes we now recomend Solid state pro amps for your Khorns.

Minimum wattage has been up'ed from 3.5 watts to 350 watts.

The new paradigm for purchasing a pair of speakers - rather than simply connecting them and learning what you do and do not like whilst building up some knowledge along the way is to leap straight into crossover design, amplifier selection and the benefits or otherwise of cork-sealing the speakers into the wall whilst discussing the relative merits of pro-amps Vs tubes.

It doesnt matter how old an X-over is parts replacement is a waste of time.

Testing replacement X-overs can be done on a single speaker in 5 minutes.

Everyone listens at minimum SPL's of 110 dB and needs at least another 15 for peaks.

All DVD's boast a 24 bit soundtrack capable of 144 dB dynamic range - that crappy compressed sound you are hearing is entirely due to your underpowered amps (see item 2 above).

Nobody needs an SPL meter for measuring the SPL's covered in 6 above - this can be done entirely by eye using a $5 meter and a cattleprod. Just hold the prod near the speaker and press the button - the voltage swing on the meter can be measured as a reasonable guess as to the watts you are using which can then be turned into dB.

The forum's definition of success is to be a deaf millionaire lawyer.

Can't see anything else untoward - just another day in the twilight zone.

1 Pair Bermuda shorts
1 Love triangle

Simmer over a low heat for several months - stiring ocasionally adding spice as necessary and you have the perfect "Thebes Effect".

The Christmas Goose sounds interesting.

The boogie has nothing to do with it.

Who got banned this year? Missed it again.

Craig,

The fact that your paints no longer fit is not some strange Astrological happening or disturbence. It is just too manny watts through your La Scalas. I suggest putting back in your old crossovers, and putting your speakers on stands, amybe some cones and all will be back to normal.

Instead of recommending tubes we now recommend Solid state pro amps for your Khorns.

The new paradigm for purchasing a pair of speakers - rather than simply connecting them and learning what you do and do not like whilst building up some knowledge along the way is to leap straight into crossover design, amplifier selection and the benefits or otherwise of cork-sealing the speakers into the wall whilst discussing the relative merits of pro-amps Vs tubes.

It doesn't matter how old an X-over is parts replacement is a waste of time.

Everyone listens at minimum SPL's of 110 dB and needs at least another 15 for peaks.

All DVD's boast a 24 bit soundtrack capable of 144 dB dynamic range - that crappy compressed sound you are hearing is entirely due to your underpowered amps (see item 2 above).

Nobody needs an SPL meter for measuring the SPL's covered in 6 above - this can be done entirely by eye using a $5 meter and a cattleprod. Just hold the prod near the speaker and press the button - the voltage swing on the meter can be measured as a reasonable guess as to the watts you are using which can then be turned into dB.

1 Pair Bermuda shorts

1 Love triangle

Simmer over a low heat for several months - stirring occasionally adding spice as necessary and you have the perfect "Thebes Effect".

Max,

Eloquently put!

Instead of recommending tubes we now recomend Solid state pro amps for your Khorns.

1 Pair Bermuda shorts

1 Love triangle

Simmer over a low heat for several months - stiring ocasionally adding spice as necessary and you have the perfect "Thebes Effect".

Yeah, thats about right[A]

1 Pair Bermuda shorts

1 Love triangle

Yeah, thats about right[A]

wow, Max kickin' some serious patootie out there..

Go Max! We need more brilliantly incisive commentary like that.

Personally, after the education I've received the past few days I can't

understand why anybody would use less than a kilowatt on 104dB

speakers.....

I have performed a detailed inventory and discovered that all the amps

I own add up to about 176 watts/channel. I was temporarily bereft

but then hit upon the capital idea of just hooking them all up to the

khorns together. I figure I can just hook all the inputs tpgether

with some 12/3 Romex left over from wiring the air compressor.

I'm only 824 watts/channel short, but I've discovered that my neighbor

got a new MIG welder for Christmas, he'll loan it to me I'm sure.

Progress marchs on.....

OW ....!!!

that was meant to hurt, Max .....[:D]

'specially the part about the millionaire lawyer

Fini,

Do you suppose you could transfer that LP going nuts at Christmas to CD for me?

Dee,

Sorry, I don't own that one (darn it)! The CD is available here (and probably other places like eBay, etc.:

http://www.nordicmaid.com/catalog/stan_boreson_s_yust_go_nuts_at_christmas_cd_2701293.htm

Max,

Excellent as always.

DVD-A actually is frequently recorded at 24/96 for 5.1 recordings and 24/192 for 2 channel. Many DVD-As are recorded in MLP, a lossless format. It's unfortunate that it is a dying medium. DVD-V is usually recorded at 16 or 20/48 in most cases.

Bill

1 Pair Bermuda shorts

1 Love triangle

Max, I missed it. I love you, man!

I promise it was all in fun - no offense meant to anyone - and I am glad Jeff took it that way.

Yes - a little devilish - and utterly tongue in cheek - but for those of us who have been around the forum a few years (I think I am coming up to 5) a number of recent threads have made......well.....entertaining reading.

I just culled a few of the stranger aspects of recent posts and brought them together in a single post.

Frankly - I thought 8 was better than 9.